???????

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

???????

Unread post by Scooterb »

WTF??????

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 2&nseq=449

Maybe someone can tell me why?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: ???????

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:WTF??????

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 2&nseq=449

Maybe someone can tell me why?
i know how they got it...cranked up the fstop, long exposure, but jesus, that picture blows.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Ideas:

1. The crewmember was hyper-cafinated and could not be caught by the shutter.

2. The photographer was using about a 2000mm lens and panning with the loco when the crewmember showed up in the shot.

3. Camera on a tripod with an exposure of about 1/2 second while the crewmember turned around.

As for the why, who knows...
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

I just cant believe they would accept that!!!!!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I dont know Scott, I know its kind of funky the way he blurred the crewman, but how often do you see photos of crew changes. I mean how many people have photos of me lugging my bags off the loco, anyone? It is not that bad, with the way he used the loco number to frame it. I would say its exelent, but I can see it.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

I agree WTF??? Why would they accept a picture of that ugly engine

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Brian_F wrote:Ideas:

1. The crewmember was hyper-cafinated and could not be caught by the shutter.

2. The photographer was using about a 2000mm lens and panning with the loco when the crewmember showed up in the shot.

3. Camera on a tripod with an exposure of about 1/2 second while the crewmember turned around.

As for the why, who knows...
I'm gonna say #3 is the correct answer. Still not sure why they accepted it though...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If it were dark it would look like an episode from Ghost Hunters :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Scooterb wrote:I just cant believe they would accept that!!!!!
They almost seem to be getting even more 'photography first - trains second' over there between the "Three points of light" and "Find the train" type of shots accepted lately - not to mention some of the more 'artistic' shots of track, signs, signals, etc that don't even feature a train. Of course I got this one in the DB so I probably shouldn't complain to loud!:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=241922

I do find it *very* subjective though as I've had a few rejects that I think are far more worthwhile sujects than some of this type of stuff...

Like this one, (for as long as it's still available):

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 1415&key=0

Regards,
Michael

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Whatever their reasons for choosing that shot and many others are, we may never know.

What everyone has to realize is that they are a "Railroad Photography" site. Which means their focus is on the "photography" side and not just a place for your run-of-the-mill, 6ft. high, 3/4 wedge shot of a manifest freight. If you read the "About Us" they even tell you that only 30% of the submitted images make it in.

They are looking for a properly exposed, in focus image with good lighting, and a interesting view or different "vision" doesn't hurt either. As for the signs, track, signals, etc. that's part of railroading and that's part of "Railroad Photography".

It's just like submitting your images to Trains and Railroads Illustrated (what used to be CTC Board). They have to be of a higher standard.

I would guess that most of us are just out shooting photos of trains because a good number of us are just railfans and not really into the "photographic/artsy fartsy" side of things. However, a little more of the "artsy fartsy" stuff might help your chances of getting in.

Want a great example of "Railroad Photography"? Pick up a copy of "Rolling Thunder - A Portrait of North American Railroading" by the late Gary J. Benson

I leave you with his closing remarks in his book "The Art of Railroad Photography"

"With safety being your first priority, be as aggressive as you can in your photographic endeavors. If necessary, borrow or rent a boat to get an unusual view of a commonplace rail scene. Try shooting up at trains when everybody else is shooting down. Use a telephoto lens when your buddies insist that a normal or wide angle is the only answer. Experiment with slow shutter speeds that may transform a routine photo into an extraordinary image. Climb that cliff you've always thought about shooting from and make, perhaps a photo that's never been made before. Work at making each of your train shots special. Learn to be selective about the tools and techniques you use, as well as the weather conditions and locations in which you work. What you get out of railroad photography is directly related to the time and effort you put into it. Lastly, in your quest for great images, don't lose sight of the primary goal of railroad photography - just having fun."

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

All i can say is WOW!!!!! I don't even try anymore.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I find that shot interesting, but I would not have accepted it had I been a screener.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I'm getting my photos rejected to this? Up your's Railpicky!
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

i'm with ya chris!!! BOYCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

DR wrote:lets make our own site gregg will call it "Foamer-R-Us.com"
www.railfanphotographs.com and www.railfanphotography.com are available. Domains are only 9.99 a year.... why not?

www.midwestrailfanphotos.com

www.michiganrailfanphotos.com

both are available....

and wouldn't you know it..... www.foamers-r-us.com is available!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:I dont know Scott, I know its kind of funky the way he blurred the crewman, but how often do you see photos of crew changes. I mean how many people have photos of me lugging my bags off the loco, anyone?

I'll keep my eyes open for you, Matt. :)
I leave you with his closing remarks in his book "The Art of Railroad Photography"

"With safety being your first priority, be as aggressive as you can in your photographic endeavors. If necessary, borrow or rent a boat to get an unusual view of a commonplace rail scene. Try shooting up at trains when everybody else is shooting down. Use a telephoto lens when your buddies insist that a normal or wide angle is the only answer. Experiment with slow shutter speeds that may transform a routine photo into an extraordinary image. Climb that cliff you've always thought about shooting from and make, perhaps a photo that's never been made before. Work at making each of your train shots special. Learn to be selective about the tools and techniques you use, as well as the weather conditions and locations in which you work. What you get out of railroad photography is directly related to the time and effort you put into it. Lastly, in your quest for great images, don't lose sight of the primary goal of railroad photography - just having fun."
No truer words to live by! I could have written some of that myself.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Instead of complaining that the photo got in, why not try to go out there and improve your own photography? I've probably had over 1,000 rejects. No I have not agreed with all of my rejects. And, of course, I don't always agree with some of the accepted images. But screener's are humans too. They have their own tastes and do make mistakes. With that said railpictures has made me 1,000,000 times the photographer. Railpictures is what shaped me to be a decent photographer which I currently get paid for (shooting weddings). Railpictures is one of the best thing that has happened to me as far as trains go (others include this site, being blessed with having a railroad with great power and extremely friendly crews, etc.).

For the record I like the shot. However I do not think that it's a railpictures type of shot and if I was a screener I would have most likely rejected it. But in all honesty I don't care. I'm not much of a "how come his/her photo got in but not mine". That's childish in my humble opinion. The decision to accept that photo was that screener's choice, not mine. I have no business commenting on that. I should be thankful that I have 70 photos in there and, most importantly, my work is getting slowly but steadily better.

All in all I'm not meaning to bash any of you guys. Please don't take it that way. You are all probably the best group of railfans out there and I just love this site! I just think that it's not any of our business weather that photo got accepted or not and rather than whine about it we should try to come up with our own creative angles.

-Jim

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

LSRC wrote:Instead of complaining that the photo got in, why not try to go out there and improve your own photography?
+1
LSRC wrote:I'm not much of a "how come his/her photo got in but not mine". That's childish in my humble opinion.
+1
LSRC wrote:...and rather than whine about it we should try to come up with our own creative angles.
+1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

What an awesome photo. I never would have thought to take something like that. On the other hand, the artistic value of the shot seems (to me) to be quite high. I can see non-railfan purchasing a copy of that shot for the artistic aspects rather than the fact that's the CNW Heritage unit...
~ Charles W.

cmhfan
Sofa Express

Unread post by cmhfan »

I have to disagree with the above poster; I don't feel that the artistic vaule of the shot in question to be very high at all. The photo looks like a mistake. Plus, the lighting is terrible, and besides that, it barely has any sense of direction or focus. I know that the blurred crewmember *should* be the subject, but it's too faint and too blurred out to attract enough attention compared to the dominant presence of the locomotive in the background.

That one should have been rejected for "Poor aesthetic quality" without a doubt.