In Your Honest Opinion

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
MDH
rp.net addict

Re: In Your Honest Opinion

Unread post by MDH »

gridejq wrote:I will use an example used by MDH in a issue of Railpace...you could see that he had photoshopped a telephone wire out as the color of the blue sky had a line in it...no offense MDH but I dont know how it even made the magazine as it was a "altered" photo and when I contacted Tom regarding photo edits he said that he must have not seen this one..all of my photos that have been published are straight out of the camera.
WTF are you talking about?!? Every image I've ever uploaded to Railpace is the original un-edited file straight from the Camera and Tom knows that (since he receives them that way). I don't know what image you *think* is wrong but thanks for trying to assasinate my character with a magazine editor I have a good working relationship with. And I thought you were a friend? Really? :roll:
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Before you start calling people out MDH for something that was done, check the facts. Several people on this board know of the picture I am talking about and will be the first to say it was photoshopped. If it is possible to scan the image I will and show "everyone" so people can stop covering up stuff that they do and try to point blame on others. If not then people who get Railpace can just look at the picture, I will go find it.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

gridejq wrote:Before you start calling people out MDH for something that was done, check the facts. Several people on this board know of the picture I am talking about and will be the first to say it was photoshopped. If it is possible to scan the image I will and show "everyone" so people can stop covering up stuff that they do and try to point blame on others. If not then people who get Railpace can just look at the picture, I will go find it.
Please do - all you'll prove is that you don't know what the heck you're talking about because I have the originals to prove it. For that matter - just tell me what train/engine you're talking about and I'll post the original to prove I didn't "photoshop" it. I probably have a whole sequence of shots proving I didn't modify it. You're completely full of crap on this, I don't know why you feel the need to attack me, but I know I've never sent a modified image to any publication so I'll happily defend anything of mine in print.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have opened my mouth publicly about the crap other people were getting away with because now you seem to want to play a "gotcha" game with me & my pictures. Well guess what? You're not going to find a single one on rp.net or in any publication that I "altered" via photoshop beyond basic cropping, sharpening etc. so if you want to waste your time, go for it. But if you're going to publicly slander people you better have proof to back it up and I know you don't because I didn't do it.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

In my honest opinion this whole thread needs to be closed/deleted and the conversations should become private messages. The original purpose of the thread has been lost in a sea of finger pointing and acusation(sp). RP.Net belongs on RP.NET. If you have a photo you want to share or have questions on why not upload it here and just get this whole RP.net thing off the site. As for this thread PLEASE close it.....
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Crow T Robot wrote:In my honest opinion this whole thread needs to be closed/deleted and the conversations should become private messages. The original purpose of the thread has been lost in a sea of finger pointing and acusation(sp). RP.Net belongs on RP.NET. If you have a photo you want to share or have questions on why not upload it here and just get this whole RP.net thing off the site. As for this thread PLEASE close it.....
Amen brotha'.
Bottom text.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I agree with Y@ and Crow, plus isn't this suppose to be a "fun hobby" we should be glade to see are friends getting pictures in magazines or making money off of there pictures not everyone can do it. Some people can edit the hell out of a photo and make it look like it was a real photo that had no editing then again some people cant does it really matter if they did or did not edit a photo and if they can Edit a photo where it looks like nothing happened more power to them. In MDH's case the photos he just put in the gallery seems like the power line was photo shopped out in that view but I'm going to say the guys at RailPace did that as they don't like edited photos and if the photos need editing they do it plus if MDH had edited out you wouldn't see chunks of it here and there. Not trying to take sides just my two cents.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
Crow T Robot wrote:As for this thread PLEASE close it.....
Amen brotha'.
While I understand your point, since my character was publicly slandered here I should have the ability to respond to it. Someone else told me which image JQ was referring to so I went to my library and dug out the issue in question. In the Oct 2009 Railpace they ran a shot I took of K388 when it was briefly running via CSX again. The original shot I submitted is this:

I uploaded the original full size JPG to Railpace and never did any further editing to it than what you see above because aside from being newsworth I didn't think it was a particularly great shot. When it appeared in Railpace it looked like this:

Pardon the poor quality scan but you can still see the problem. At most I glanced at it when I got it and filed it away with the rest of them and hadn't noticed the really crappy shop job that someone at railpace did to "get rid of" the wire. (or I saw the black streaks in the sky and thought it was a reproduction quality issue or something - I don't remember and it doesn't stick out in my mind) I'm a bit appalled by it and can't believe I didn't notice that when I got it but I was pretty busy with other things in my life that time last year. A blind monkey could see it's been altered and they chose to do that and run it that way which surprises me.

So I can certainly see why JQ and whoever else may think I do that - but I didn't. That's probably why JQ got the answer he did from Tom and why I never heard anything from Tom about JQ's acusation. I'll have to give some thought as to what, if anything, I'm going to do about that. I do wish someone had pointed this out to me at the time or asked me the question rather than assuming an incorrect answer.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

it's amazing reading how upset people can get about other railfan's work. About the only issue I have with some other's work is just jealousy as I want to go out and shoot where they do or have better editing skills.

Anyway, gotta believe MDH is in the right as it looks like Railpace did a crappy edit job on that one, not MDH's fault.
This "fair weather photographer" is gonna lock down this thread.. just lolz that another railfan can be hatin because I don't go out and shoot in all weather conditions; I have better things to do with my time, like run this site, sorries.

This thread sucks, locking, thank you, drive thru.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com