pennsylvania railfanning?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

pennsylvania railfanning?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

I am going on a trip to gettysberg in the next couple of days and was wondering good places to railfan, does anyone know of any? how far is the horseshoe curve from there? and info on raifanning this area is greatly appreciated.

cr6707
Railroadfan...fan

Re: pennsylvania railfanning?

Unread post by cr6707 »

Horseshoe Curve is about 2 1/2 hours away. I'd say the Harrisburg area is a much better bet. It's under an hour from Gettysburg, and there are probably more trains in this area than in Altoona. I'd recommend anywhere around Rockville/Marysville. The area around the Amtrak station is good in terms of traffic, but it isn't in the best part of town to say the least. Closer to Gettysburg, CSX has a yard at Hanover. IIRC, the power is usually SD50s, SD40-2s, and GP40-2 slug sets. D795 is ordered there in the morning. They are supposedly in Gettysburg in the late morning. They return from Hagerstown as D797, and are through Gettsyburg in the late afternoon. There is a shortline there as well, but I'm not sure when they operate. If you need any more info (and scanner frequencies), let me know!

Mark

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I forget which issue it was this year, but the one Trains Magazine focused on Pennsylvania shortlines. There were lots of photos and a map. Might want to check that out.

Someone help me out here with the month?

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Thanks! what are the CSX freqs around gettysberg? it said on RRPA that the line gets 4-6 trains a day is this true? and are there any busy NS lines that i would go near if on the pennsylvania turnpike?

cr6707
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6707 »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Thanks! what are the CSX freqs around gettysberg? it said on RRPA that the line gets 4-6 trains a day is this true? and are there any busy NS lines that i would go near if on the pennsylvania turnpike?
160.230 and 161.400. The closet NS line to the turnpike is the Lurgan Branch at Carlisle. There are about 15-20 trains on the Lurgan, so it's not extremely busy. FWIW, that's only about 8 miles from the Enola/Marysville/Rockville/Harrisburg area.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

If you don't get to PA much, I'd recommend Horseshoe Curve just to say you've been there. Pretty cool place, and a lot of history around there. I visited in 1998 while doing a college visit to Penn State. Neat place.

Practice Safe CSX

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

trainjunkie47 wrote:I forget which issue it was this year, but the one Trains Magazine focused on Pennsylvania shortlines. There were lots of photos and a map. Might want to check that out.

Someone help me out here with the month?
Think your talking about the June issue. Had a good map of Eastern Pennsylvania and a story about anthracite roads today, including the Gettysburg & Northern,..., among others. Also a good article about CSX & it's shortline partners.
Other CSX freqs besides what CR6707 gave are: 160.320 ROAD CH 2, 161.520 ROAD CH 3 & 160.845 ROAD CH 4.