Famous Santa Fe sign may be replaced

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Famous Santa Fe sign may be replaced

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012 ... n-santa-fe

A company wants to replace the sign with their own logo in Chicago.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Famous Santa Fe sign may be replaced

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Perhaps BNSF will buy it and put it on top of their HQ
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

That sucks.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Perhaps BNSF will buy it and put it on top of their HQ
That has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen you make.

You know, you don't have to have $.02 for every post. You can refrain from posting if it adds nothing to the conversation.

BNSF is just that...BNSF. Its not even known as "Burlington Northern Santa Fe" anymore outside of the railfan community. Everything BNSF puts out, lists "BNSF" as its official name. No way they are going to buy a sign that says "Santa Fe" on it, when they don't even pay homage to their historical founding with their current name.

Practice Safe CSX

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

TrainWatcher wrote:That sucks.
-1000000000000000000000000000^100000000000000000000000000.

That is all.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sad to see that it might be taken down. One of my favorite Chicago landmarks.

Stupidfleets snide remarks are, well, as his name implies.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSX_CO wrote:
That has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen you make.

You know, you don't have to have $.02 for every post. You can refrain from posting if it adds nothing to the conversation.

BNSF is just that...BNSF. Its not even known as "Burlington Northern Santa Fe" anymore outside of the railfan community. Everything BNSF puts out, lists "BNSF" as its official name. No way they are going to buy a sign that says "Santa Fe" on it, when they don't even pay homage to their historical founding with their current name.

Practice Safe CSX
As much as I wish somebody would save the sign, I completely agree with everything Russ said.
Bottom text.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Y@,

Being a child of late 1939 I recall a hit song of the forties about the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. It was a big hit back then.

Just think what the power would look like with the full name applied.

Burlington Northern , Atchison . Topeka and Santa FE Santa Fe would surely be a mouthful.

Somehow, BNSF sounds more logical.
Norm

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX_CO wrote:You know, you don't have to have $.02 for every post. You can refrain from posting if it adds nothing to the conversation.
Yes, you have to have $0.02 for every post when you're running up your post count. :wink:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
How does their name not mention it's origional railroads? They changed their official name to BNSF---It's still the initials. They didn't just pick 4 random letters.

And either way, the ATSF is still part of their heritage, reguardless of what their name is. It is far-fetched, but not il-logical IMO.

Hopefully someone will buy it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

MQT3001 wrote:How does their name not mention it's origional railroads? They changed their official name to BNSF---It's still the initials. They didn't just pick 4 random letters.
Here we will try it S L O W E R.

B N S F, D O E S N O T S T A N D F O R A N Y T H I N G O T H E R T H E N B N S F. They changed there name to BNSF, not Burlington Northern Santa Fe. Yes BNSF is JUST 4 RANDOM LETTERS any more. You and me may know that it stood for Burlington Northern Santa Fe, but that is not there name, and BNSF is NOT the abreavation for it. It is just BNSF and NOTHING ELSE. When they meet new clients they introdouce themselves as BNSF, nothing else.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Interesting, I didn't know BNSF doesn't stand for Burlington Northern and Santa Fe anymore.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Matt is correct, it's now simply "BNSF Railway". There is no more Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

SD80MAC wrote:Matt is correct, it's now simply "BNSF Railway". There is no more Burlington Northern Santa Fe.
The new image is just:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Somebody out to find a home for it, rather then argue about whats going there instead or why BNSF sucks.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

12Bridge wrote:Somebody out to find a home for it, rather then argue about whats going there instead or why BNSF sucks.
Yes, because it's just that simple. :roll:
Bottom text.

telus6429
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by telus6429 »

Well as Canadian outsider, and going to give my 0.02 cents, BNSF is there Title name they use, but much like CN, the legal title with the Canadian & US Governments and stock markets (before Berkshire took over) is still Burlington Northern Santa Fe. If you were to read a government accident report, it would use BNSF, UP, NS, CSX, KCS, CP, & CN in its dialogue, but in the bottom, it would go 'CN - Canadian National Railway'. There is a difference between Legal name and Shortforms that are easy to go by, and lots of companies use it to keep speaches, documents down to a shorter item. The Chrysler Factory here in Windsor, is WAP, and that's how they put it in the news around here, but it really Windsor Assembly Plant. It's all part of marketings, which started years ago when the railroads first started.
Telus6429
Ian
Windsor, Ontario
http://www.trainweb.org/swontariotrain/

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Norm wrote:Y@,

Being a child of late 1939 I recall a hit song of the forties about the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. It was a big hit back then.

Just think what the power would look like with the full name applied.

Burlington Northern , Atchison . Topeka and Santa FE Santa Fe would surely be a mouthful.

Somehow, BNSF sounds more logical.
have that on my Ipod

great song
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

telus6429 wrote:Well as Canadian outsider, and going to give my 0.02 cents, BNSF is there Title name they use, but much like CN, the legal title with the Canadian & US Governments and stock markets (before Berkshire took over) is still Burlington Northern Santa Fe. If you were to read a government accident report, it would use BNSF, UP, NS, CSX, KCS, CP, & CN in its dialogue, but in the bottom, it would go 'CN - Canadian National Railway'. There is a difference between Legal name and Shortforms that are easy to go by, and lots of companies use it to keep speaches, documents down to a shorter item. The Chrysler Factory here in Windsor, is WAP, and that's how they put it in the news around here, but it really Windsor Assembly Plant. It's all part of marketings, which started years ago when the railroads first started.
We are debating the name of the RAILROAD not the WHOLE company. The name of the WHOLE company is Burlington Northern Sant Fe, LLC (intrestingly enough, they still to this day use the ticker symbol BNI for Burlington Northern Industries). Of witch ONE of the SUBSIDIARY's is BNSF (yes the four random letters and nothing else) Railway. There is also BNSF Logistics and other parts of the WHOLE. It just so happens that it looks like all of Burlington Northern Santa Fe LLC is in the Ft Worth Headquarters.

It is much like when CSX Transportation started. That was the WHOLE company. Inside that company you had CSXT Railroad, you had CSXI (Intermodal), you had Sea Land, you had the Greenbrier, ect. It just so happens that CSX Transportation was headquartered in Va. and CSXT Railroad was headquartered in Jacksonville, Fl.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:It is much like when CSX Transportation started. That was the WHOLE company. Inside that company you had CSXT Railroad, you had CSXI (Intermodal), you had Sea Land, you had the Greenbrier, ect. It just so happens that CSX Transportation was headquartered in Va. and CSXT Railroad was headquartered in Jacksonville, Fl.
Actually, I believe the parent company was (and still is) CSX Corporation. The railroad part of it was (and still is) CSX Transportation. CSX Corporation came first, back in 1980 when Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries merged. The railroads were still separate subsidiaries though, and merged in 1986 to form CSX Transportation (and used the full "CSX Transportation" lettering on equipment for a few months before going with CSX only). The Corp. headquarters were in Richmond VA, but are now in Jax, (CSX Transportation has always been there) Not trying to be picky, but just wanted to make it a little more clear :)