Info On 3 PA shortlines

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Info On 3 PA shortlines

Unread post by Fred »

Looking for any info regarding the location of engine facilities, operating schedule, and accessability of the following lines as my old rr co-workers & I will be railfanning in the area the middle of this June:
"Pennsylvania & Northeastern RR".........."Columbia & Reading RR"......"West Chester RR". Also any "average time of day" does the Delaware & Lackawanna" arrive at Slateford.
Appreciate any & all info,
Thanks

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Info On 3 PA shortlines

Unread post by chriiis »

Fred wrote:Looking for ... any "average time of day" does the Delaware & Lackawanna" arrive at Slateford.
The DL PT-98 often meets NS H76 at Slateford midday (noon-2pm?), less than daily. It was only Thursdays and Sundays a few years ago, but i believe it to be more frequent these days. Beautiful place, especially a bit north of there. The one day i was in that neck of the woods, the DL came in around 4pm and the NS was already gone.

The H76 does a curious back up move from the wye down by the power plant up through town to the yard.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Hey, thanks Chriis, looks like we might be out of luck in that tuesday would be our time there. Does the PT-98 operate daily but just not all the way to Slateford? Thanks again

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

Uh.. i doubt it, but they run grain trains from Taylor Yard to a mill in Mt.Pocono, used to be 3-4 times a week. They've generally got more than one train running everyday, usually starting around 8am, to Carbondale, around Scranton, etc.

Being that the DL runs Alcos+MLWs thru Steamtown, i suspect they are pretty accustomed to fielding questions from railfans.i'd strongly suggest googling up a phone number and harassing them.

If nothing's coming down through the Delaware Water Gap, and you only have the grainer i'd recommend the park vicinity of the Nay Aug Tunnel on the east side of Scranton, or even a bit further, kinda out by Old Drinker Turnpike in the woods. There's lots of Rhododendron growing on the steep hillsides, iconic of the Poconos.