The Floridian - Amtrak's New (Temporary) Train

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

The Floridian - Amtrak's New (Temporary) Train

Unread post by justin_gram »

"Amtrak’s East River Tunnel Rehabilitation Project in New York will require closing one tunnel tube at a time to safely and efficiently conduct modernization work, resulting in minor capacity limits on train operations in this area. As a result, Amtrak is temporarily combining the Capitol Limited and Silver Star trains to create the Floridian, which will run between Chicago and Miami via Washington, DC—beginning November 10." https://www.amtrak.com/floridian-train
Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.01.28 AM.png
Quick video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4bEVd ... RailWeekly

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: The Floridian - Amtrak's New (Temporary) Train

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Plus the unspoken truth that Amtrak is trying to save Superliners for the western Long Distance trains with this move as well, since they’ve woefully failed to maintain enough equipment to meet todays surging demand, let alone pre-pandemic train lengths.

This train will run with single-level equipment.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I appreciate the back-story to strategies like this. Thank you.
Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:39 am
Plus the unspoken truth that Amtrak is trying to save Superliners for the western Long Distance trains with this move as well...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

AARR wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:06 am
I appreciate the back-story to strategies like this. Thank you.
Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:39 am
Plus the unspoken truth that Amtrak is trying to save Superliners for the western Long Distance trains with this move as well...
Amtrak may not have acknowledged the equipment benefits of freeing up the Capitol superliners….but Rail Passengers did: https://railpassengers.org/happening-no ... floridian/

The Capitol presently runs with 3 trainsets of 5 superliners each, plus a Viewliner baggage car on each consist. By my reckoning, releasing the Capitol supers will allow 6 coaches, 3 Sleepers, 3 Trans-dorms, and 3 diner-lounges move to other Superliner trains, plus any protect cars kept in DC.

It’ll be interesting to see how the timekeeping goes in the new, much longer route…

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I was interested at first when I heard the Floridian name, but was disappointed to see it running via Washington DC.

I've been considering this trip since my parents moved to Florida in 2018. They live twenty minutes south of Tampa.

I would spend the night in Washington DC because the connection with the Capitol Limited and Silver Star is too tight. It's about 90 minutes if both are on time. I can visit friends living there and do some sightseeing.

It's not that expensive for me to fly from Detroit to Tampa. I find the cheapest flight, and park at my grandparents house.

I can use my parents vehicle, so my main expenses are the airfare. It takes about five minutes to get past security at DTW.

The Silver Star arrives in Tampa at 1:09pm, which isn't bad. The main thing discouraging me from using Amtrak is the price of a roomette. That's over 700 dollars from DC to Florida, plus the cost from Toledo on the Capitol Limited.

Amtrak should have a Chicago to Florida train that runs via Nashville. Plenty of people are moving to Tennessee that would likely use that service.