Central Louisiana railfanning?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Central Louisiana railfanning?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

i will be headed down to the Baton rouge area and then up to Alexandria/pineville area next week for spring break. does anybody here know of the rail traffic that runs through these areas? or could somebody link me to a site that would have such information? thanks you.

BNSF 1088
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Central Louisiana railfanning?

Unread post by BNSF 1088 »

The most trains that run thru the State of La is the CSX RR out of New Orleans Baton Rouge sees very few trains the BNSF Line from Iowa Jct to Avondale La runs about 8-10 trains a day which includes L&D Amtrak BNSF UP.

Lake Charles mabey sees 10-15 trains a day.

Up towards Shrevport you might see 10-15 trains a day.

The State of La does not see many trains CSX use to run about 25-30 a day in and out of New Orleans La NS runs about 10-15 trains a day, CN runs about 6 plus 2 Amtrak trains a day in
Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF Conductor Lafayette LA

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Make sure you check out some Cajun & zydeco music when you're down there. Also get plenty of jambalaya & gumbo to eat. And don't swim in the bayous--besides gators, the water is mostly full of chemicals down there. If you get to Lake Charles, make sure you check out the Calcasieu River. It has warning signs that mention if you have contact with the water, to call an 800 number!

Mostly, when you get out in the country in Louisiana (and away from big cities) you'll find the people are friendly. EVERY store will ask you "Where y'all from?" when you go in their establishment.

Oh, yeah. Check out boudin (pronounced BOO-dan). It's a spicy Cajun sausage made from pork liver, rice, and spices. Just about every store will also have a crock pot with boudin next to the coffee pot at the front door. If I was going down to Louisiana I'd take a large cooler and I'd fill it with boudin to bring back north because you can't get boudin anywhere in Michigan. :-(

Garry K

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

If you go by Tallulah LA check-out the Delta Southern.
I have long wanted to buy that railroad.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

If you go by Tallulah LA check-out the Delta Southern.
How is Delta Southern doing these days? Many years ago I read a great article about their ups and downs. They've overcome quite a few hurdles to stay in business and prosper.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

When I was in New Orleans years ago the action was pretty good at The Huey Long Bridge.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Well i just got back today. saw some UP action but photos were not that good. did see a lot of the state which was cool. i will probably post a trip report later