CP Oil Train Derailment - MN

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CP Oil Train Derailment - MN

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Officials have confirmed that 14 cars of a 94-car Canadian Pacific train has derailed in west-central Minnesota. There is reportedly a rupture and subsequent spill of 20,000 to 30,000 gallons of cruse oil. No fire hazard, according to officials.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/ ... PR20130327
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: CP Oil Train Derailment - MN

Unread post by AARR »

I think one tank car holds about 30,000 gallons
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Canadian Pacific Train Derails, 14 cars carrying crude oil come off tracks
http://www.ppindependent.net/

Early Wednesday morning at approximately 6:15 a.m., a Canadian Pacific Railroad train was traveling southeast past the intersection of 150th Street and 555th Avenue, just out of Parkers Prairie when the train lost air, and went into emergency mode.

The train came to a stop and the conductor walked back down the track and saw that 14 cars had derailed. Some of them totally off the tracks.

The train cars were carrying crude oil and several cars were ruptured, but the crude oil was contained in a relatively small area. (Each car holds approximately 26,000 gallons).

No injuries were reported. Responding were the Parkers Prairie Fire Department, Otter Tail County Sheriff, Minnesota State Patrol, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, and Canadian Pacific Personnel. The investigation continues.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I'll bet that will be the next excuse to raise the price of oil and gouge us at the pump!
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Jochs wrote:I'll bet that will be the next excuse to raise the price of oil and gouge us at the pump!
Lets see what the greenies say about this. They keep saying pipelines are dangerous to the environment

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

No shortage of snow over there in MN! Brrrrrrr..... :D

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Train hauling Canadian oil derails in Minnesota
http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2013/mar/ ... minnesota/

Good news;
Cold weather had made the crude thicker, hindering the ability to recover the oil, Olson said, adding the initial cleanup was expected to continue for a day or two.

"We are focusing on drawing up the loose (oil) ... and once that has been taken up, they will then pump up the remaining oil in the tanks," Olson said. "Because of the winter conditions, the ground is frozen and there is not any damage to surface water or ground water. After the initial recovery we will see if the oil has soaked into the soil at all."
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

bctrainfan wrote:No shortage of snow over there in MN! Brrrrrrr..... :D

When I was in Milwaukee, WI last weekend, there was a foot of snow on the ground over by Brookfield.

At least the frozen ground should keep the oil from soaking in, and lessen the impact on the environment.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1