FEC purchasing 24 ES44C4'S

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

FEC purchasing 24 ES44C4'S

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

Did anybody else hear about the FEC purchasing GE ES44C4 locomotive. There are rumors that they will retire the SD70M-2's instead of the SD40-2's because they are already being refurbished and painted.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: FEC purchasing 24 ES44C4'S

Unread post by AARR »

If true this is another all EMD railroad that is switching to GE. I was hoping that Caterpillar would be able to turn things around but GE's dominance continues.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

AARR wrote:If true
There's an FEC/GE press release out on it.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Well considering fortress just bought MMA, I see FEC power going up there and with the increase of container traffic coming soon they will need the power.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

How old are those SD70's?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Trains Newswire confirmed the 24 GE ES44C4s 2 days ago. The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JStryker722 wrote:Trains Newswire confirmed the 24 GE ES44C4s 2 days ago. The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.
Whatever the GEVOs replace will more than likely be sent to MMA. It does not matter how old they are, because at the end of the day, they're just a part of an asset move in that case.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:Trains Newswire confirmed the 24 GE ES44C4s 2 days ago. The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.
Whatever the GEVOs replace will more than likely be sent to MMA. It does not matter how old they are, because at the end of the day, they're just a part of an asset move in that case.
No one in their right mind would give their best power to another railroad just like that.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JStryker722 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
No one in their right mind would give their best power to another railroad just like that.
If the exchange happens, it is Fortress being efficient with their assets. The MMA needs more modern power, and the ES44C4s fit the FEC's current and anticipated traffic. The MMA gets more modern power.

It is all speculation...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

JStryker722 wrote: No one in their right mind would give their best power to another railroad just like that.
If the exchange happens, it is Fortress being efficient with their assets. The MMA needs more modern power, and the ES44C4s fit the FEC's current and anticipated traffic. The MMA gets more modern power.

It is all speculation...[/quote][/quote]
I just don't see FEC losing their SD70M-2s just like that when the rebuilt SD40-2s would be more appropriate for start up before truly having a sense on the ground the traffic requirements. Look at what happened to GDLK at start-up: Watco sent an abundance of motive power only to find it not needed and sent the extras elsewhere. Then again,better have and not need than need and not have.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JStryker722 wrote: I just don't see FEC losing their SD70M-2s just like that when the rebuilt SD40-2s would be more appropriate for start up before truly having a sense on the ground the traffic requirements. Look at what happened to GDLK at start-up: Watco sent an abundance of motive power only to find it not needed and sent the extras elsewhere. Then again,better have and not need than need and not have.
Both MMA and FEC are pretty well established properties. MMA has said it won't move crude by rail anymore, so you can nix that traffic base. It isn't like they're starting from scratch.

I'm sure someone has a plan, otherwise they wouldn't be putting out that much money in the first place. Its only speculation amongst the arm chair railroaders...

Practice Safe CSX

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
JStryker722 wrote: I just don't see FEC losing their SD70M-2s just like that when the rebuilt SD40-2s would be more appropriate for start up before truly having a sense on the ground the traffic requirements. Look at what happened to GDLK at start-up: Watco sent an abundance of motive power only to find it not needed and sent the extras elsewhere. Then again,better have and not need than need and not have.
Both MMA and FEC are pretty well established properties. MMA has said it won't move crude by rail anymore, so you can nix that traffic base. It isn't like they're starting from scratch.

I'm sure someone has a plan, otherwise they wouldn't be putting out that much money in the first place. Its only speculation amongst the arm chair railroaders...

Practice Safe CSX
Pretty much lol

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I would imagine the sd's and gp's from FEC will replace the MMA's old GE's.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GLC 392 wrote:I would imagine the sd's and gp's from FEC will replace the MMA's old GE's.
Depending on the lease terms, not entirely out of the realm of possibilities the SD70's go back to the leaser.

Practice Safe CSX

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
GLC 392 wrote:I would imagine the sd's and gp's from FEC will replace the MMA's old GE's.
Depending on the lease terms, not entirely out of the realm of possibilities the SD70's go back to the leaser.

Practice Safe CSX
If I'm not mistaken, #101-107 SD70M-2s were bought outright with # 140-143? being CITX leasers.

railohio

I expect there to be a Trains News Wire update on this later today.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.[/quote]
MQT3001 wrote:
Trains Newswire confirmed the 24 GE ES44C4s 2 days ago. The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.
Trains Newswire confirmed the 24 GE ES44C4s 2 days ago. The #101-107 SD70M-2s were built in 2007 so I don't see them retiring 6 year old wide cabs,so those will probably stay with the FEC. If anything,I see them holding onto a few rebuilt SD40-2s and GP40s for yard and local service,with the balance of the SD/GP40s being sent to Maine for Fortress's new railroad.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

All the SD70M-2 are going back to the leasing company CITX after the first ES44C4's get to the FEC property in March.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

In that case,bye bye EMD on FEC mostly lol

railohio

A little later than I'd hoped, but here's the details:

http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20News/N ... order.aspx

(For Trains subscribers.)

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Photo Credit: Drewhalv on flickr
Its fake by the way :lol:
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.