Boys Take Train on Joy Ride

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
TrainRunner
BANHAMMERED

Boys Take Train on Joy Ride

Unread post by TrainRunner »

Boys Allegedly Take Train on Joy Ride

Jan 16, 8:48 PM (ET)

NELSONVILLE, Ohio (AP) - An early morning joy ride on a train engine - with the whistle blowing, ended back in juvenile detention for two boys who walked away from an unlocked detention home, authorities said.

The boys managed to start up the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway locomotive early Tuesday morning after breaking through a side door into the building that houses the engine, said Sgt. Edward Kurtz of Nelsonville police. No cars were attached to the engine that usually hauls tourists.

The tracks go by the windows of the city police station, and Hocking College police also noticed the engine rolling down the tracks.

"That's very unusual. The train runs only on weekends," Kurtz said.

He said the boys rode about 12 miles to Logan, blowing the train whistle and waking residents, stopping by a grocery store off U.S. 23, where Athens County sheriff's deputies took them into custody.

Matthew Burks, 16, of Proctorville, and Zachary Walden, 13, of Portsmouth, are charged with juvenile counts of burglary, theft and escape, police said.

Burks, who had some knowledge of trains, was driving the engine, Kurtz said.

"He got it started and away they went," he said.

The boys had walked away late Monday from Hocking Valley Community Residential Center in Nelsonville, where youths stay on the honor system instead of going to a state detention center after juvenile felony convictions, said Valerie Roth, assistant director.

Nelsonville is about 60 miles southeast of Columbus.

Note from TrainRunner: Below is the locomotive I believe the teens stole

Like the RoadRunner, I run for trains!

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The two of them will probably be twenty one before they see another train.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Word has it that the boy who has relatives who had worked for the railroad. Also its US33 that runs through Athens County not 23

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

See other article too...
Wisconsin railroad commissioner fined for train ride
http://www.gazetteextra.com/railroadfight011707.asp

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Yes 5833 (C&O GP7) was the victim in the incident. I know (through the TAMR) 2 members of the HV..they are not to happy about the incident, but are happy there was little damage to the unit.
Dave C

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

huh wonder when they got that unit last time i was there all they had was an old baldwin switcher.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"