Flooding Along the Big Sioux River.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Flooding Along the Big Sioux River.

Unread post by Jochs »

A railroad bridge connecting Iowa and South Dakota has collapsed because of flooding on the Big Sioux River.
https://www.ktiv.com/video/2024/06/24/t ... ing-water/

The Sioux City Railroad Museum has been closed because of flooding.
https://www.ktiv.com/video/2024/06/25/s ... -currents/
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Flooding Along the Big Sioux River.

Unread post by TSS »

It’s just heartbreaking to see those photos. I volunteered at that railroad museum in college. At that point in time, the roundhouse roof leaked like crazy and all the windows were boarded up. The blacksmith shop was threatening to collapse because it had been used to store road salt. The salt was dissolving the mortar between the bricks. You could fall through the floor of the carpenter’s shop building (wood shop for the car department). The wooden sand tower was about ready to fall offer.

We fixed all that. Roofs were replaced, replica windows installed, masonry tuckpointed. The GN steam engine was cosmetically restored, and the railroad collection was growing.

Then the floodwaters turned the clock back by a decade.

Bob Drenten
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Flooding Along the Big Sioux River.

Unread post by Bob Drenten »

This is my home turf.

Several sections of the BNSF Marshall sub washed out. Derailment at Alvord.

Several sections of the UP Mankato sub washed out. The track rolled north of Le Mars.

I suspect the CN from Le Mars to Fort Dodge, Iowa, is also damaged.

Add that to the collapsed BNSF bridge at North Sioux City, SD, and Missouri River flooding all the way to Omaha, Sioux City has all rail service cut off.

The damage is considerable, to homes, business, agriculture, and transportation. My home county, Sioux County, lost several bridges and culverts.

Rebuilding will take a long time and hundreds of millions of dollars.