Unidentified Bathtub Gondolas.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unidentified Bathtub Gondolas.

Unread post by Railzfan »

Does anyone know what these cars are carrying? These cars where in a standard mixed freight train, there where more that a dozen on this train. All of the cars have been renumbered and still remain with UP.
I think that these cars may be relief hoppers for the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, with the recent derailment of trains from coal dust build up they must be using these to fill the roster with the loss of cars from the derailments. Also, what makes me think that they are using the “lids” is to stop the dust from blowing out in the first place.

NOTE: if the above image does not show up please click here: http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-6027
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Here is the image. If I am not mistaken, these cars carry Radioactive Material, which is why they have the covers on top.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

They are odd. I dont think there is anything hazardous on these because the dont have the Hazardous material cards on them. That would have been my first guess. But I dont see the cards. Wonder if Gregg could post these on Train Orders and get an answer?

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Covered cars

Unread post by cmgnnut »

They are the same as what was used in Bay City a few years ago to carry contaminated dirt out west for disposal in an abandoned mine shaft

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

Thanks for your help everyone, so you think they where hauling radioactive waste ha? These cars must have been empty because there is no placard on the side telling what they are carrying; actually the placards are missing on all 12+ cars! Well maybe the answer will show up somewhere. As I said, thanks for your help! :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

Unless they sheilded the inside of the sides of the car as well, I highly doubt that anything in there was radioactive. Steel is far from the best material for shilding radoactivity.

I would guess that they just contained dry goods that needed to be kept that way.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Not sure why i didnt see this post before, but they were if fact used in Bay City. About 200 in a system pool, for Radioactive dirt that was being remove from the Dow Chemical area here in town. thats why they have the cover on them. They are used for contaminated dirt and debris. they dont have a placard, because they are empty and it is removed at the dump. Each time the cars are loaded a new placard must be put on. I know because when csxt serviced the GM dirty dirt back 6 or 7 years ago, they tarped the cars, and installed new placards each day as often when we'd show up to pull the cars and give them new, they'd just be putting them on.