NS Heritage Unit Location Updates

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Heritage Unit Location Updates

Unread post by KenB »

They delivered the train to River rouge (MI) Power Plant around Noon with the RDG & LV units than they were going to spin them at West Detroit than back to the Rouge.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

KenB wrote:They delivered the train to River rouge (MI) Power Plant around Noon with the RDG & LV units than they were going to spin them at West Detroit than back to the Rouge.
Any time for when they come back? I was out there for a few hours with nothing.

EDIT: This was down by Toledo to note, as I thought they might of been heading down towards here.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Both the Reading and the LV units are on the N/E of track #12 at Rouge yard, still facing north.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Both the Reading and the LV units are on the N/E of track #12 at Rouge yard, still facing north.
I noticed that also after a River Rouge cop pulled me over at YD. "Oh wait its just you watching trains,have a good night!" :)

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The RDG and LV unit are still at Conrail River Rouge, (MI) yard. They are open on the east side but on the west side only the valley unit is out in the open and can be shot BUT, helps to have a ladder to shoot over the fence or close to the top and over the weeds and don't be there alone!

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

KenB wrote:The RDG and LV unit are still at Conrail River Rouge, (MI) yard. They are open on the east side but on the west side only the valley unit is out in the open and can be shot BUT, helps to have a ladder to shoot over the fence or close to the top and over the weeds and don't be there alone!

Can you post any photos of the location? Cant decide if I should make the drive. Good Lighting?
Mark it Zero.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Any news on an estimate for when they will leave, and will they be heading down for Toledo..with the empties? Since I'm guessing they haven't left today and won't be tonight.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The RDG and LV units will be going to River Rouge (MI) Power Plant wednesday night to get the empty coal cars and bring back to Conrail River Rouge Yard. NS Crew called for 0300 EDT on July 12, 2012 to take the train south to Toledo, Ohio.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

KenB wrote:The RDG and LV units will be going to River Rouge (MI) Power Plant wednesday night to get the empty coal cars and bring back to Conrail River Rouge Yard. NS Crew called for 0300 EDT on July 12, 2012 to take the train south to Toledo, Ohio.
That means it's coming back down overnight? If so, that doesn't help me much. Unless there's any idea on timing for when they'll reach near Toledo, then where they're going after that (Bellevue) - then I have an actual chance still due to that could time it during early daylight yet. What path would it go through Toledo though?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

BOTH units still sitting at Rouge yard. RR-42 (NS 5329) heading down to the long marsh with some steel cars for the mill. They will pull the empty coal in 2 cuts . The outbound crew will not be called until the trains back up in the yard. They also have to spin the power. Looks like daylight running southbound.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

M.D.Bentley wrote:BOTH units still sitting at Rouge yard. RR-42 (NS 5329) heading down to the long marsh with some steel cars for the mill. They will pull the empty coal in 2 cuts . The outbound crew will not be called until the trains back up in the yard. They also have to spin the power. Looks like daylight running southbound.
That's good news for the heritage engines then, I'm actually pulling an all-nighter (extended day) to ensure I don't miss anything at all for them coming back down.

EDIT: Also, it'd be nice to be updated as more information comes in that relates before the sun comes up, so that me and others can be prepared just in case.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Took a drive by River Rouge (MI) Conrail Yard this morning at 0600. Empty DECo coal train in yard BUT RDG and LV units still in yard track facing North. Do not know when they will depart.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Although Conrail released the train back to the NS at 300am, the NS as of 100pm hadn't ordered a crew yet to take the train south.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Fred wrote:Although Conrail released the train back to the NS at 300am, the NS as of 100pm hadn't ordered a crew yet to take the train south.
That's good and bad news I'd say, keep us posted please.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

NS crew for empty DECo caol train on duity at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale, MI @1400 EDT. Will have to get paperwork, cab over to Conrail River Rouge (MI) yard and get power. Will have to turn power, get on train, get air test and go south.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

My guess would be a 500pm departure from River Rouge.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

KenB wrote:NS crew for empty DECo caol train on duity at Oakwood Yard in Melvindale, MI @1400 EDT. Will have to get paperwork, cab over to Conrail River Rouge (MI) yard and get power. Will have to turn power, get on train, get air test and go south.
Yeah and can we believe this one? What happened to on duty 0600.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Well.....its the railroad! The times are from the best information that could be aquired. If you have better times, share them. If you do not want the information posted just say so. Will be a lot less work to not share information.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

A move like this involves TWO railroads and many times they just can't quite agree on when to operate a train. Like it was already mentioned, CR wanted to run the train since 300am but the NS didn't (maybe crew shortage), so there it sat. Right now the crew is at CP West Detroit wying the power.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

RDG and LV elephant style through Wyandotte southbound at 6:20 PM
Last edited by bnsfben on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.