CSX GRE MQT Train Location Update 7-14-08

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

You can DO IT!!!!!!
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

cnw8835 wrote:
Odds are westbound and evens are eastbound, except when they aren't?
Odd numbered symbols are trains considered moving "railroad west". North is also considered railroad west on CSX.

Even numbered symbols are trains considered moving "railroad east". South is considered "railroad east" on CSX.

Geographic direction and railroad direction may always not be the same depending on where you catch a train. Example: a train orginating in the SE part of the US headed for West Olive would most likely have an odd designation even if the train was routed over the ex-L&N into Chicago and up the GR Sub to West Olive. If you where standing on the platform at Holland technically you are observing the train heading "east bound" but it's originating location and destination determine it as an odd numbered symbol as techinally it is a northbound movement. Throw in reroutes due to weather or derailments and things can get really confusing. This is partially the reason that CSX requires train crews to give their symbol and direction when calling signals. Train designation alone is not an absolute indicator of direction of movement.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

I see one of your best buddies is back from Garrett working in Grand Rapids again, gride.

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Q327-14

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Q327-14 passed by the diamond @ 15:00 with 80 axles nothing exciting
SD-50 ES44DC
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes he is Bob M, and be on listing end of the raido, and you might hear You can DO IT, as we meet each other.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

trnwatcher wrote:
cnw8835 wrote:
Odds are westbound and evens are eastbound, except when they aren't?

Odd numbered symbols are trains considered moving "railroad west". North is also considered railroad west on CSX.

Even numbered symbols are trains considered moving "railroad east". South is considered "railroad east" on CSX.
So...what am I missing here, then? I guessed that the train coming east from Ensel would be D708 rather than D709. Under what part of what you said would a train leaving Lansing in the direction of Plymouth be considered going anything but east or south (therefore even-numbered)?
Geographic direction and railroad direction may always not be the same depending on where you catch a train. Example: a train orginating in the SE part of the US headed for West Olive would most likely have an odd designation even if the train was routed over the ex-L&N into Chicago and up the GR Sub to West Olive. If you where standing on the platform at Holland technically you are observing the train heading "east bound" but it's originating location and destination determine it as an odd numbered symbol as techinally it is a northbound movement. Throw in reroutes due to weather or derailments and things can get really confusing. This is partially the reason that CSX requires train crews to give their symbol and direction when calling signals. Train designation alone is not an absolute indicator of direction of movement.
Thank goodness they do--I wish CN did, too.

I'm trying to get this idea surrounded. Is it that D709 -ends- its work day west/northbound into Lansing that justifies the odd number? I've certainly seen/heard Y102 on this side of Ensel a number of times.

-Michael

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

mikekmac wrote:
I'm trying to get this idea surrounded. Is it that D709 -ends- its work day west/northbound into Lansing that justifies the odd number? I've certainly seen/heard Y102 on this side of Ensel a number of times.

-Michael
I'm gonna guess that the local jobs have a little more flexibility in their direction in relation to job #.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Adding NS to this topic. Our webmaster is chasing NS's B48 southward out of Grand Rapids. He says 3 6-axle units leading 20 or so cars with a 4-axle unit riding along at the back.
Is this finally our new Kzoo-GR local replacing 36E/37E?

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railroadfan wrote:MDH - CSXT 4848 was on Q50613, Cinci to Toledo train, finished parking at Stanley at 11:15am.
Thanks for the info earlier - here's the picture I got of it sitting at Tracy Road this morning waiting to enter Stanley:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=242682

Thanks,
Michael

Tlout
WZZM's "train expert"

Unread post by Tlout »

BNSF 9508 and 5899 hauling empties from West Olive south at Riley St. 7:22 PM. E949-13.

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

WEST OLIVE TRAINS

Unread post by Bentrail »

N90314 CALLED OUT CHICAGO FOR 16:45.
N90313 PLANNED
N91014 PLANNED
N91015 PLANNED
N922 EASTERN LOAD IN GRR.
PROBALY WON'T GO UNTIL TOMMORROW.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

cnw8835 wrote:Adding NS to this topic. Our webmaster is chasing NS's B48 southward out of Grand Rapids. He says 3 6-axle units leading 20 or so cars with a 4-axle unit riding along at the back.
Is this finally our new Kzoo-GR local replacing 36E/37E?
By 21:45, B48 was down at Mill (Plainwell). Dearborn dispatcher gave them the track as far as Gibson in Kzoo.