Amtrak Train Location Update/Heads Up Thread 2024

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
GRHC
Useless Poll Creator

Re: Amtrak Train Location Update/Heads Up Thread 2024

Unread post by GRHC »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:17 am
P370 fans, don’t forget this evenings train should feature two private Pullman cars in the consist, ex NKP Kitchi Gammi Club (1923) and ex UP 10-6 Pacific Island (1950s). Tickets were offered to the public for the P370 run— will anyone on this board be aboard tonight?

The cars are heading for a season of excursion service runs on the Indiana Rail Experience behind NKP 765.

https://railfan.com/rare-pullman-passen ... xperience/
If I get on the train in Holland Michigan and ride it to Grand Rapids GP30M4216 will you pick me up and take me back to Zeeland? 😉

Thanks for the heads up I definitely will be trackside tonight to watch Amtrak P370-08 go past.

Amtrak P365-08 update
IMG_2426.jpeg

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

So is the reason that the Wolverines have six cars on them now is that one is the new Venture Business Class car? And the old one is because they still need a food car? If so, very efficient of Amtrak.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

the wolverines'/blue water have been running with business class cars for a while now, usually being used as a coach when the regular coaches aren't available....thinkin' someone finally figgered out that there is one less train running in michigan during the week and they added capacity to the trains that do run....psgr counts were very high during the summer months every day and labor day weekend(which it usually is historically) ....but now the counts are not as heavy, what with schools started back up and the summer vacation season over

yesterday's 351 had one of the new cafe cars in it's set...although Manistique probably couldn't see the car labeling when I went by him

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Unread post by David Collins »

Would love to know what the hell happened on the AML tonight, 355 is just leaving into Battle Creek as of 11pm (2 1/2 hours behind), 352 is just taking the turn at Milwaukee Junction in Detroit to go north, and 354 is sitting short of CP Gord in Battle Creek running an hour and a half late.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:46 pm
yesterday's 351 had one of the new cafe cars in it's set...although Manistique probably couldn't see the car labeling when I went by him
I’ve not seen one in person but am told that the Venture Cafe cars do not have the blind middle with no windows as the Amfleet and Horizon cars do therefore they have windows all along the entire side therefore they will be difficult to discern at any speed especially if your brain is like mine and easily befuddled by the polka dot paint scheme. :lol:

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:46 pm
the wolverines'/blue water have been running with business class cars for a while now, usually being used as a coach when the regular coaches aren't available....thinkin' someone finally figgered out that there is one less train running in michigan during the week and they added capacity to the trains that do run....psgr counts were very high during the summer months every day and labor day weekend(which it usually is historically) ....but now the counts are not as heavy, what with schools started back up and the summer vacation season over

Thanks, Buster. You are correct, I can only see the top half of trains as they roll by my house. And, as someone said, the new cars look the same as the basic Venture coaches window-wise. I heard you toot when you came by on 350 yesterday but was upstairs and couldn't wave.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

352 has a private car tonight. Unknown as to which car it is but I’m pretty sure it’s either PRR Frank Thompson or Charter Wire. I will be in Pontiac tonight watching Amtrak hand it off to the CN and I will report back then.

Update: per photos from a post on the AML facebook group, they are Charter Wire cars

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2024 6:39 pm
352 has a private car tonight. Unknown as to which car it is but I’m pretty sure it’s either PRR Frank Thompson or Charter Wire. I will be in Pontiac tonight watching Amtrak hand it off to the CN and I will report back then.

Update: per photos from a post on the AML facebook group, they are Charter Wire cars
It was not on this morning's 351.

David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Manistique wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:22 am

It was not on this morning's 351.
It was pretty chaotic and I really didn’t have time to report it. The crew (Buster was the engineer :) ) dropped the cars off on the Cesar E. Chavez bridge for CN to handle. Me and two friends of mine chased the move between the station, the bridge and Johnson Avenue (after they wyed the train). Pretty cool to see for sure.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

352 sitting at Detroit Woodward waiting for the NS 11N and CN 485.

Graham Halverson
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Graham Halverson »

352 has 2 Charter Club Private cars on the rear (again). Should be near Dearborn now.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Also posted on the CN thread but will add here because it was mentioned above, a passenger special with IC 9636 and those two Charter Cars brought in by 352 last night left Pontiac SB crossing Woodward at 11:50 am.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

The Amtrak Wolverine trains I have been seeing out back the last couple of days are all Venture cars now and seem to be back down to five of them. No P42 as power in a while now.

LansingRailFan
Pabst Peddler

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

353 by the grass lake ayso soccer complex at 11:07