Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Unread post by J T »

TC Man wrote: Okay I'm in Grawn now and nothing had been through any crossing . 3 inches of snow on the rails at the crossings, and obviously nothing been through here in years. :(
Well, at least someone in this state is going to have a white Christmas. :(
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

J T wrote:
TC Man wrote: Okay I'm in Grawn now and nothing had been through any crossing . 3 inches of snow on the rails at the crossings, and obviously nothing been through here in years. :(
Well, at least someone in this state is going to have a white Christmas. :(
We have had snow on the ground since the first week of November here in Marquette. Seems like the middle of January already.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Must have snowed 3" last night there. The crossing at 633 had bare rails as far as I could see yesterday.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
Must have snowed 3" last night there. The crossing at 633 had bare rails as far as I could see yesterday.
It has not snowed in the last several days. 6 feet from the crossing there is no snow, but I'm telling you, the flangeways and 3" on top of the rails are all snow. Nothing's been through there. I'll be happy to go back and take a pic later.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote: It has not snowed in the last several days. 6 feet from the crossing there is no snow, but I'm telling you, the flangeways and 3" on top of the rails are all snow. Nothing's been through there. I'll be happy to go back and take a pic later.
Ok, my bad. :oops: :(

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote: It has not snowed in the last several days. 6 feet from the crossing there is no snow, but I'm telling you, the flangeways and 3" on top of the rails are all snow. Nothing's been through there. I'll be happy to go back and take a pic later.
Ok, my bad. :oops: :(
If you were there at dawn or dusk, maybe the shadows were making it look different? I can see that happening.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote: If you were there at dawn or dusk, maybe the shadows were making it look different? I can see that happening.
Naw, it was 10am daytime. I was in a hurry on my way to Buckley to fix a broken radio transmitter and must not have given it a good look. Sometimes you see what you hope to see.
Last edited by James Sofonia on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Pixl wrote:Sometimes you see what you hope to see.
Me too :lol: And I have a very good imagination :mrgreen:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Problem was I wasn't banking on them being back so quickly either. I looked at the previous posts and guessed that maybe they would be back a lot later...
Apparently you didn't read my post where I said they'd be returning between 10-11am. Patriot reported them across Leonard at 11:05, so I guess I was only 5 minutes off.
I saw it but by the time I caught it the time was about 10:30. Me and my dad were fighting about something and I saw the post and basically dropped what I was doing and left. Still didn't make it due to my mistake of going to Maryland first.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE Leonard Tower Reports --- My office is near the intersection of Leonard and US 131. From my seat, I can see the very eastern section of the bridge over the Grand River and a straight-on view of the Leonard/Plainfield crossing. I generally try to post immediately after they cross the intersection, but sometimes I am in meetings that results in delayed postings. And I admit that sometimes I smile a bit knowing that I am seeing the trains while Alex sits, listens and waits to read my posts :lol:
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GRE crew going on duty at 7. I think the half dozen of so CH's are inbound Kings. (Friday was a long time ago for my memory :roll: )

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Today's edition of the MQT Turn Job is tied up at Sparta Ave north of Sparta await it's crew. 3389, 3408, 3407, 5418 and the customary goodies on the drawbar.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- EB Leonard/Plainfield at 9:07 with six CHs.
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

10:55: MQT about to roll into Newaygo

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 wrote:10:55: MQT about to roll into Newaygo
Hi-rail just came in from the north...taking off in town. I presume the Turn Job has paused to let him clear.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Turn job is about to arrive in Baldwin. BAL crew using the 3406.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

15:20: Turn job SB Bitely. They gave the 5418 to the Baldwin crew, so 3407 is leading. Much shorter train, maybe 40, lots of boxes, no sand

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 wrote:15:20: Turn job SB Bitely. They gave the 5418 to the Baldwin crew, so 3407 is leading. Much shorter train, maybe 40, lots of boxes, no sand
Approaching Newaygo 16:35

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Back to work today and back to seeing trains.

GLC 397 and 398 left Cadillac towards Clare at 1120 with 1 empty centerbeam, 2 flats of poles for Mcbain, 1 empty centerbeam, 5 empty coke hoppers, 2 sand hoppers and 16 empty tie hoppers.

GLC 398 and 397 returned to Cadillac at 1710 with 6 coke hoppers, 8 sand cars, 11 tie hoppers, 4 tank cars and 2 empty centerbeams.

Looks like the sawmill in McBain will be shipping two loads out and Hydralake is still up and running. Also the 2 centerbeams headed out this morning came back from TC Friday.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Michigan shore railroad south through grand haven at 9:50. 2057 leading 2019, 2 boxes from bay, 20 sandies from Nugent sand, 3 tanks (Webb or Fremont or Bayer or brinks?) And 1 from fremont. 26 total for Holland