C&O Train Locations 12-11-13

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: C&O Train Locations 12-11-13

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT3001 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:
cnw8835 wrote: P371 is not out yet. The crew is being held for rest. The RN expects them to be running about 2 hours late.
Ok, maybe one of the AMTRAK people can answer this for me. If the crew isn't going to be rested, AMTRAK should know that well ahead of time. Is there a lack of qualified crews out of Chicago that can 'cover' the run? They should have ample time to call a crew, and deadhead them to GR to at least get the train out on time. Use that van to bring the crew in the hotel in GR to 'chase down' the train if absolutely needed. Just seems really asinine to me to make the paying customers wait (and CSX have to move the train outside of the established windows) because the crew isn't rested.
Wow, I almost posted with the exact same point earlier...cannot believe we're thinking the same thing :wink:

But yeah, they would have known they were going to have this problem by 2300 last night at the latest. 8 hours to find a crew!

If you're going to provide transportation, especially for people, you better have a reliable service. I bet people LOVED sitting in the amshacks for two hours this morning! I hope those heaters work...
My guess is they were out of crews. They have started before out of GR with a relief crew picking up up the train en route. Do you hold the train 2 hours so the crew can make CHI or or go dead en route w/o a crew available?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Raildudes dad wrote: My guess is they were out of crews. They have started before out of GR with a relief crew picking up up the train en route. Do you hold the train 2 hours so the crew can make CHI or or go dead en route w/o a crew available?
Well, what with the HOS laws, continuous time dead-head a crew out of Chicago to be in place for an on-time departure was what I was getting at. Then, get the crew taking rest at GR out of the hotel to 'chase down' the train if needed. I 'get' what you're saying about the 'Four Hour Spike' in the HOS laws, but if you have a crew at Chicago, they should have time to make it to GR, and at least 'make the departure' even if they can't make Chicago. We do this all the time on the freight roads. Call the recrew out of the away from home hotel to chase down the crew, and recrew them when they run out of time.

As you said, maybe no qualified/rested crews at Chicago for the run to even make an on time departure. Just find it curious that AMTRAK is willing to make their paying passengers wait for 2 hrs. Wonder if they at least called a charter bus?

Practice Safe CSX

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I'm just an observer on this, no inside information. I am aware they have deadheaded a second crew to take over in the past hence my statement "My guess they were out of crews". The Pere Marquette has bigger issues than an occasional train departing a few hours late once and awhile. Most of the time they leave on time (I can hear then whistling the streets on the west side from my office when thy leave Ann St. )

My daughter took the Empire Builder east to Chicago. They were late enough to miss their slot with the outbound commuter trains and got in about 20 minutes after 370 left (on time to use their slot in the outbound commuter traffic). There were over 20 passengers for 370 on the train. A bus picked them up and followed 370 delivering to their destinations. If the driver hadn't gotten lost in Hammond IN looking for the train station (GPS kept taking him to the bus station LOL) she would have gotten to GR before the train. Looking at the Builders arrival history, I bet Amtrak runs a bus to GR quite a few nights.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Not to change the subject for a second, but E95108 Essexville empties just went FLYING past Howell with a clear signal at Ann Pere at 19:35. CSX 664 & 37 for power.

brysonda
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brysonda »

Horns in Ensel. Maybe E951, per previous reports.