Michigan Shortlines October 2015

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Shortlines October 2015

Unread post by GR Ron »

I see at least a couple dozen loaded CSXT coal hoppers at Hughart this morning.
GR Ron

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

GR Ron wrote:I see at least a couple dozen loaded CSXT coal hoppers at Hughart this morning.
Coal for Upjohn in Kazoo.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

GLC in Cadillac today:

396 and 395 left for Clare at 0950 with 1 tank, 14 tie loads and the color tour consist.

392 and 385 returned at 1600 with 2 tie loads, 1 loaded centerbeam and 2 tanks.

Didn't hear or see them yesterday and the MAC facility opened for business yesterday.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Michigan Shore is parked just north of Ferrysburg headed south. Mow crew is frantically replacing a crossing just south of Jackson st. They were grinding the welded joint and laying balast when I drove by. Looked like 2019 solo today.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC in Cadillac today:

385 and 392 left towards Clare at 0910 with 1 empty bulkhead flat and 2 tank cars.

Didn't get to see them come back into town.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Michigan shore did not make it back to Muskegon on hours. They died at Rosy Mound road just south of Grand Haven. It looks like tomorrow's crew will be bringing it the rest of the way north.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC in Cadillac today:

Headed north around 0915.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:GLC in Cadillac today:

Headed north around 0915.
they were in TC just before 11am headed to Williamsburg with 2 center beam loads.... Both left at Amerhart.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- EB Leonard at 10:08 with 5 CHs and 1 tank.
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC in Cadillac today:

385 and 392 left for Clare at 0920 with 1 empty centerbeam, 9 tie loads and 4 empty coke hoppers.

Returned at 1500 with 1 tie hopper, 1 tank car, 3 pole loads for McBain, 13 tie loads and 3 plastics hoppers. Saw them from across the lake so I'm not entirely sure the 3 hoppers were all plastics. I would expect the feed place to begin receiving soon.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC in Cadillac today:

Color Tour train departed for Mt Pleasant right on time at 1600. Came into town around 1220.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like the feed facility at the former Delta Truss site in Cadillac is receiving shipments. Saw 3 covered hoppers spotted inside their fence this morning.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update!
AANscaleRunner wrote:Looks like the feed facility at the former Delta Truss site in Cadillac is receiving shipments. Saw 3 covered hoppers spotted inside their fence this morning.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Random fact- there are 2 empty center beam cars at Amerhart in Bates/Williamsburg. GLC must have brought 3 loads up last week and didn't wait for these two to unload.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

GLC in Cadillac today:

Left for Clare at 0915 with 4 tie loads, 1 empty bulkhead flat, 2 pole loads and 1 tank car.

Returned around 1400, no chance to see them.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

They may have had switching to do in Kalkaska and couldn't wait the hour or so per car to unload. I think the line between Walton Jct. and Traverse City is rated for 10mph and takes over two hours to traverse.
TC Man wrote:Random fact- there are 2 empty center beam cars at Amerhart in Bates/Williamsburg. GLC must have brought 3 loads up last week and didn't wait for these two to unload.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote: I think the line between Walton Jct. and Traverse City is rated for 10mph and takes over two hours to traverse.
TC Man wrote:Random fact- there are 2 empty center beam cars at Amerhart in Bates/Williamsburg. GLC must have brought 3 loads up last week and didn't wait for these two to unload.
They have put in a lot of new ties and ballast on the TC branch in the past year and I thought I had read the line is up to 25 mph in most areas.
I hope to catch the next run, I haven't seen them in some time.
I have tried to chase them from TC to Bates and you can't keep up with them in Summer TC traffic now. It used to be a breeze at 10 mph.
Keep those "heads up" posted. thanks.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

The track from Walton JT. to River Rd. is class 2 25 MPH about MP 20 100 # rail, from River Rd. to Bates & Grawn is all 10 MPH. Theirs a few miles of 75 # rail from River Rd. to where the new bridge over the tracks is, the state rehabed about 1 & 1/2 miles of track under the bridge & put down 90 # rail. GLC put in about 3000 ties in the last few years & dumped 10 cars of ballest on most of the cerves going out to Bates.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:They may have had switching to do in Kalkaska and couldn't wait the hour or so per car to unload. I think the line between Walton Jct. and Traverse City is rated for 10mph and takes over two hours to traverse.
The GLC is running up to TC fairly often. There is less of a need for them to wait. If they know another load is headed that way, paying a day or two demurrage is probably palatable to the consignee versus having to wait a week or more for the next switch.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GRE east at Leonard at 10:15.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow