CSX Train Location Updates: 4/20/12.

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: CSX Train Location Updates: 4/20/12.

Unread post by Saturnalia »

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Your buddy on Youtube constantly refers to them as slugs, too. Better inform him too :lol: :P
Guess I should :lol:

What is the purpose of them if they are not powered? I guess I am missing something... :?
Think of them as a large remote control receiver. It makes it so that CSX didn't have to dedicate powered units to have the remote control hardware....
Why can't they just put the RC stuff on powered units?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT3001 wrote: Why can't they just put the RC stuff on powered units?
They can, they just chose not to. Also having that dead body to drag around with a powered unit might have been sold as added braking force... Heck if I know...

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Doktor No wrote:they think we can use SD40's...yeah right.
Dash 3's in the case of Ensel today. 3 guys on the job and still took them all day...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT, they do. Haven't you noticed 2680, 2659, a lot of the local units in GR have strobes on the roof of the cab? That signifies they are RC equipped. They just don't have enough of them to get by without the drones.

CSXT GP38-2 #2680 by conrail6809, on Flickr

Snaking Through by conrail6809, on Flickr

1524 working with a drone because it's not RC equipped.
Bumpin' over the diamond by conrail6809, on Flickr
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:MQT, they do. Haven't you noticed 2680, 2659, a lot of the local units in GR have strobes on the roof of the cab? That signifies they are RC equipped. They just don't have enough of them to get by without the drones.
That is what I was originally thinking. Seems like it would make more sense to equip two more Geeps with RC stuff and scrap the old drones. Heck, 9249 rides crappy with it's front suspension? messed up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_aoMmZjI0
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

MQT3001 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:MQT, they do. Haven't you noticed 2680, 2659, a lot of the local units in GR have strobes on the roof of the cab? That signifies they are RC equipped. They just don't have enough of them to get by without the drones.
That is what I was originally thinking. Seems like it would make more sense to equip two more Geeps with RC stuff and scrap the old drones. Heck, 9249 rides crappy with it's front suspension? messed up...
One advantage of the drones is their ability to turn any engine into a remote control engine. When a GP38 with RCO is not available just grab a drone and whatever is laying around to power a yard job. Looking back I can remember things such as HLCX SD40-2's, CSX SD50's and C40-8W's and even a BNSF GP60B being used on yard jobs tied together with a drone. Just yesterday, Y191 was using UP 2025 tied onto the 9249.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Confirmed (again): P370 tied up at Waverly. My wife and I were on that train; friends brought us home from Holland. Bustitution to GR for the others.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

amtrak1007 wrote: JT/3001 - P370 tying up in WAVERLY read the thread, racer...
I did, chief. And then Jeff threw me off a little with his "departed Holland" comment (seeing as he there and had a visual on the train). I wasn't sure if he meant the depot or the city. Then I saw a comment about no trains over Plaster Creek and it made sense. :P
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Drones seemed to come first, then the "sleds". I get the drones...more braking force, plus any unit laying around can be mated under normal conditions...never understood the sled program...I think the powered remotes were a result of lessons learned through drones and sleds. What I don't get is why one of the crew rides in the remote unit while the other runs the show...kinda defeats the purpose, no?
Just a Fat Guy

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

GTW6401 wrote:Some of the trains normally running via Plymouth went on the Lincoln Secondary today, which included.

Q392, which cleared up on their EC1 at 8:15am with CSXT 7569 and 58.

Q392's engines turned on Q231, which departed south around 2:30pm.

G008-20 also ran north with the CSXT 211 and 7312 and arrived at Rougemere just after noon.
Any idea if they're going to use the Lincoln Secondary again today in an effort to avoid Plymouth? If so, then I might take a spin past there.

Saturday I was near the Secondary and aside from the usual intermodal run south at about 1300 or so, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."