Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

1 lone covered hopper at the GRE, no crew.

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- Crossed Leonard/Plainfield EB at 9:55 with the one lonely CH for King.
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- Crossed Leonard/Plainfield WB at 12:50 with 13 CHs.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Michigan shore railroad just came into north yard from Nugent Sand. It sounds like 1216 is doing the honors today. No car count but the weather is good for sound travel, I can hear them clearly today

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

2 inbound Kings at the GRE. No crew at 7. Leonard Tower can probably mark off today :lol:

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

MS stopped by henry street after switching Webb chemical. They cut 1216 and ran it down to Nugent sand. They are headed back to henry street right now with a cut of outbound Sandies. I am waiting for them at McCracken currently, Loving the safetran hybrid bell!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

csx801 wrote:I am waiting for them at McCracken currently, Loving the safetran hybrid bell!
Used to work right next to that crossing.. Was called APT (advanced polymer technology), but I think it's a different business called Paramelt now.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Looks like something ran thru the wye at 14th & Cass, Traverse City. The sand is pushed up from the flange grooves not fresh, but maybe in the last day or so. Were they turning around the pair of loco's that were up here last week? This wye is rarley used.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:Looks like something ran thru the wye at 14th & Cass, Traverse City. The sand is pushed up from the flange grooves not fresh, but maybe in the last day or so. Were they turning around the pair of loco's that were up here last week? This wye is rarley used.
Friend says they had a boxcar on the wye with locos. Could it be that the lumber place in Bates can only unload box cars from one side? Are box cars loaded so they can only be unloaded from one side? It's the car they dropped at the lumber place last Friday.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

TC Man wrote:
Friend says they had a boxcar on the wye with locos. Could it be that the lumber place in Bates can only unload box cars from one side? Are box cars loaded so they can only be unloaded from one side? It's the car they dropped at the lumber place last Friday.
Yes, sometimes. They will have placards that say "unload this side only" and "unload other side only"

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

GLC 397 and 398 left Cadillac at 1055 towards Clare Monday at 1055 with 1 pole flat, 1 idler flat, 1 pole flat, 1 idler flat, 1 pole flat, 7 empty coke hoppers, 19 sand hoppers, 2 grain hoppers, 1 sand hopper, 1 grain hopper and 6 sand cars. They had not returned as of 1645.

Loco 393 was spotted behind the shops last night.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Looked like about 8 inbound Kings at the GRE, crew going on duty at 7. Leonard Tower should be your way anytime I would guess.

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- Crossed Leonard/Plainfield EB at 9:38 with 11 CHs and 1 tank.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GRE working King Milling in Lowell at noon.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Patriot

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- Crossed Leonard/Plainfield WB at 2:10 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

GLC returns to Cadillac from Clare at 1645. Caught what looked like 17 loads of ties and 8 flats of poles. Snowing pretty good right now. Missed the first part of the consist. They left town sometime after 1030. Hard to catch them since I have the week off.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Looked like about 8 inbound Kings at the GRE, crew going on duty at 7. Leonard Tower should be your way anytime I would guess.
Patriot wrote:GRE --- Crossed Leonard/Plainfield EB at 9:38 with 11 CHs and 1 tank.
Where exactly is the GRE's yard at and what time frame do they usually depart east with a train? I have seen you mention Ann St. quite a bit and the only yard I can see is on the north and west side of the diamonds. I have been wanting to catch them for some time now. Also. In regards to crossings, if you are familiar with them, does Lafayette St. have a WRRS Mini-Bell in conjunction with the WCH E-Bell? Nothing like a GP9 and a Mini-Bell!

Also noticed Maryland Ave. has a pair of Mini Bells!*

Another crossing close to the Grand River Bridge has mini bells! I love Mini Bells!**
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Max, read this thread! Tons of departure times are listed...just use the EB time over Leonard.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

GRE has 2 CH's on the interchange track. Most likely out bound's. CSX pulled a bunch last night and left none.

Max: The GRE yard is alongside the engine house. Occasionally CSX and GDLK would deliver there in the era Amtrak was overnighting on one of the interchange tracks. Now, GDLK and CSX deliver to the two interchange tracks and GRE pulls them from there. Yard north of Ann on the east side is the CSX siding / run around, the west side was the same for Conrail / GDLK although hardly ever used. Now it's being rebuilt for the sand transload. Years ago that yard was the support yard for the GM plant - now Avistar