Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Max, read this thread! Tons of departure times are listed...just use the EB time over Leonard.
I don't know how many days are here. Its not like this is the CSX thread that is daily. I read on page two but I just want someone that is very familiar with the line to let me know. Jeez Lay off would ya. :o
J T wrote:Image
Totally not necessary but ok, I guess I deserved this... :roll:
Raildudes dad wrote:GRE has 2 CH's on the interchange track. Most likely out bound's. CSX pulled a bunch last night and left none.

Max: The GRE yard is alongside the engine house. Occasionally CSX and GDLK would deliver there in the era Amtrak was overnighting on one of the interchange tracks. Now, GDLK and CSX deliver to the two interchange tracks and GRE pulls them from there. Yard north of Ann on the east side is the CSX siding / run around, the west side was the same for Conrail / GDLK although hardly ever used. Now it's being rebuilt for the sand transload. Years ago that yard was the support yard for the GM plant - now Avistar
I have drove up there before and never noticed an engine house, I'm guessing its just a little one stall building that blends in with the environment. But hey when I'm the one driving the only thing I should be focused on is the road and not an engine house. :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:GRE has 2 CH's on the interchange track. Most likely out bound's. CSX pulled a bunch last night and left none.

Max: The GRE yard is alongside the engine house. Occasionally CSX and GDLK would deliver there in the era Amtrak was overnighting on one of the interchange tracks. Now, GDLK and CSX deliver to the two interchange tracks and GRE pulls them from there. Yard north of Ann on the east side is the CSX siding / run around, the west side was the same for Conrail / GDLK although hardly ever used. Now it's being rebuilt for the sand transload. Years ago that yard was the support yard for the GM plant - now Avistar
So no GRE today?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

If I see a crew going on duty at 7, I'll report that. That's not a guarantee that if no one is there at 7, they won't show up later in the day. Patriot may catch them going across Plainfield & Leonard. Today I don't expect them because they usually take all the empties on Friday and put them on the interchange.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:If I see a crew going on duty at 7, I'll report that. That's not a guarantee that if no one is there at 7, they won't show up later in the day. Patriot may catch them going across Plainfield & Leonard. Today I don't expect them because they usually take all the empties on Friday and put them on the interchange.
Ok cool because now that I know there are 5 mini bells still left in the GR area I want to catch GRE at all 5.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Pencil in a potential chase tomorrow. There should be a bunch of empties at King and they will get all the empties on the line to interchange tomorrow to get the car hire off them and on to CSX. I post what I see at 7 (actually about 6:45 :lol: )

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

FYI, the GRE isn't a 10-mph line like one might think...they get going pretty quickly. If you catch them on the NE side of GR proper, you won't be able to catch up with them again until Ada, and vice versa. They move too fast and the surface streets are too slow.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Pencil in a potential chase tomorrow. There should be a bunch of empties at King and they will get all the empties on the line to interchange tomorrow to get the car hire off them and on to CSX. I post what I see at 7 (actually about 6:45 :lol: )
Do they usually take loaded cars with them? I have seen them run light so I don't know what is the norm.
MQT3001 wrote:FYI, the GRE isn't a 10-mph line like one might think...they get going pretty quickly. If you catch them on the NE side of GR proper, you won't be able to catch up with them again until Ada, and vice versa. They move too fast and the surface streets are too slow.
Shouldn't you be in school? :lol: I watched your video's last night on Youtube as well as older ones to try and get a feel of what I am dealing with. I don't know if I will chase because I don't have the time and the area's of my interest are west of Ada. Only way I will go to Ada is if they have loads for Amway. My grandfather is certified on the track mobile in the facility and occasionally switches the yard and departments within the facility.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

They take whatever loads east with them that they have and will have space for at the customer. That means any wheaties for King or Amways. They switch Amway eastbound, before running to King. At King they seem to first pull in and grab the empties, and then return with the loads. They stage using some tracks south of the river.

Everything I can think of for the GRE are inbound loads: wheat, Amway CHs and Tanks, the plastics place, wire and even the centerbeams for the C&M. It all leaves empty.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I checked everything out today. All my crossings of interest, the Ann St. Yard and other locations. How I missed the engine house I have no idea. The Grove St. Crossing was recently repaved but both Mini's are intact. The Taylor St. Crossing is an interesting setup with the three gated signals, very old ones. According to some Mid-90's footage on youtube they had mini bells until somewhat recently. They were loading/unloading some piece of equipment at that crossing that was railroad related. It was orange. That's all I know. Couldn't figure out what it is. Went down some bumpy roads that's for sure. WOW... The Maryland Ave crossing still has both Mini's and is in good standing. Sad to report the Lafayette St. crossing has been upgraded to brand new gated signals, and the mini bell is no more. :cry: Another thing worth mentioning, is Marquette Rail taking out what's left of the old PRR connection south of the Deltaplex? I am seeing new pavement being put in it's place.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Marquette ownership ends at Turner St, so no. The yard is being rebuilt there west of CSX by the Grand Elk.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:Marquette ownership ends at Turner St, so no. The yard is being rebuilt there west of CSX by the Grand Elk.
Is more being expected from the Grand Elk for Marquette or Grand Rapids Eastern?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sand transloading place is going in that yard on the Grand Elk.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

LS&I
CITX 1004 1005 WB Co Rd 550 MQT at 1341 w mts

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Standard Railfan wrote:LS&I
CITX 1004 1005 WB Co Rd 550 MQT at 1341 w mts
I would love to railfan the LS&I someday. One of the few railroads left that has experience using steam and diesel locomotives.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MQT1223 wrote:I would love to railfan the LS&I someday. One of the few railroads left that has experience using steam and diesel locomotives.
LS&I hasn't operated steam engines since the early 1960's IIRC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

I caught Grand Elk 302 southbound this am a little after 8:30 south of Schoolcraft. 4125 & 4206 (which is quite the blue smoker :) ).
Oddly enough the 4125 was still leading when they came back north this afternoon around 4:45. 41 cars mixed freight. They must have turned the engines when they were in Elkhart today because the 4206 should have been leading coming back.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ThreeRiversChris wrote:I caught Grand Elk 302 southbound this am a little after 8:30 south of Schoolcraft. 4125 & 4206 (which is quite the blue smoker :) ).
Oddly enough the 4125 was still leading when they came back north this afternoon around 4:45. 41 cars mixed freight. They must have turned the engines when they were in Elkhart today because the 4206 should have been leading coming back.
Does Grand Elk do a daily? I want to catch them at some point as well.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: Totally not necessary but ok, I guess I deserved this... :roll:
Lighten up there, fella, just joking around. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Totally not necessary but ok, I guess I deserved this... :roll:
Lighten up there, fella, just joking around. :twisted:
10 4. :mrgreen:

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

GRE still has the 2 outbounds? no inbounds, crew going on duty at 7