Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Michigan Shortlines Updates December

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I would love to railfan the LS&I someday. One of the few railroads left that has experience using steam and diesel locomotives.
LS&I hasn't operated steam engines since the early 1960's IIRC.
I know this I was referring to their history. Like how the Florida East Coast operated steam and the Long Island operated steam and Union Pacific operated steam (not counting the heritage program, or what's left of it). They are one of the few roads left that's old enough.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:GRE still has the 2 outbounds? no inbounds, crew going on duty at 7
So they are running light east?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- Engine solo over Leonard/Plainfield EB at 8:20
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:GRE still has the 2 outbounds? no inbounds, crew going on duty at 7
So they are running light east?
Inbounds = cars going east. Outbounds = cars they have brought back from the east.

They'll probably have a decent sized train coming back from Lowell, which will probably be sometime between 10-11am if they move at their usual speed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is their anyone that posts anything in the Ada area so I can get out to Maryland St. or Grove St to film at the Mini Bells?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:Is their anyone that posts anything in the Ada area so I can get out to Maryland St. or Grove St to film at the Mini Bells?
Nope..how about you head over to Maryland or Grove and try to get your pic..they should have likely already departed Lowell going west just based on the times mentioned, so I'd suggest getting out there ASAP if you really want a pic/video.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

GRE --- WB over Leonard/Plainfield at 11:05 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Patriot wrote:GRE --- WB over Leonard/Plainfield at 11:05 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.
I'm surprised you didn't see me. I got trapped behind a lady in her car wanting to turn right a block away from where I wanted to go. :cry:

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

GLC Grawn branch looks like something has been on those rails this week. At the Silver Lk. Rd. crossing I could see the snow was pushed off the rail and fresh rust, but no tire tracks as if it had been a M/W truck. Anyone see what had been up there?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:GLC Grawn branch looks like something has been on those rails this week. At the Silver Lk. Rd. crossing I could see the snow was pushed off the rail and fresh rust, but no tire tracks as if it had been a M/W truck. Anyone see what had been up there?
Wishful thinking, but did you go past Cherry Growers to see if there was anything on the two spurs? Would have had to be today, as I went through the crossing last night and it was snow-covered.

Also, just FYI, it's actully County Road 633, as Silver Lake Road ends at the other end ot the intersection. :)
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:Is their anyone that posts anything in the Ada area so I can get out to Maryland St. or Grove St to film at the Mini Bells?
Next time just go to Ada and head east on Grand River Ave. You'll spot them at some point since the road follows the tracks all the way to Lowell. That's what I usually do when I know they've gone to Lowell and my success rate is usually close to 100%.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote: did you go past Cherry Growers to see if there was anything on the two spurs? Would have had to be today, as I went through the crossing last night and it was snow-covered.
I didn't think of that. I wish I had taken a better look.
I did notice on my way home this evening that a train had been across Holiday rd. on the Williamsburg branch sometime today.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote: did you go past Cherry Growers to see if there was anything on the two spurs? Would have had to be today, as I went through the crossing last night and it was snow-covered.
I did notice on my way home this evening that a train had been across Holiday rd. on the Williamsburg branch sometime today.
I'm on duty tomorrow, so I'll drive by while out and check.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

MQT1223 wrote:
Patriot wrote:GRE --- WB over Leonard/Plainfield at 11:05 with 7 CHs and 1 tank.
I'm surprised you didn't see me. I got trapped behind a lady in her car wanting to turn right a block away from where I wanted to go. :cry:
Leonard Tower is 2250 feet from the tracks. He'd need binoculars to see you :lol:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Next time just go to Ada and head east on Grand River Ave. You'll spot them at some point since the road follows the tracks all the way to Lowell. That's what I usually do when I know they've gone to Lowell and my success rate is usually close to 100%.
I didn't want to go to Ada but apparently that is necessary in order to not be in the situation that I was in. So I just wait in Ada and head east when I hear or spot them? Problem was I wasn't banking on them being back so quickly either. I looked at the previous posts and guessed that maybe they would be back a lot later, but that's what happens with your first experience on an unfamiliar railroad. (Yes I am still new to the area railroads like GRE, GDLK and MQT and even the CPMY freight operation)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:
I didn't want to go to Ada but apparently that is necessary in order to not be in the situation that I was in. So I just wait in Ada and head east when I hear or spot them? Problem was I wasn't banking on them being back so quickly either. I looked at the previous posts and guessed that maybe they would be back a lot later, but that's what happens with your first experience on an unfamiliar railroad. (Yes I am still new to the area railroads like GRE, GDLK and MQT and even the CPMY freight operation)
To be totally honest, we (mostly I) told you it is a sh!tshoot on their return and you either have to sit and wait or be out chasing them to know when they're coming back...I guess you learned your lesson :wink:

You guys stink..bagging these trains 2 minutes from school...I can hear them, but I can't skip to get them (A certain tower operator would not enjoy the phone call home) :twisted:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:Is their anyone that posts anything in the Ada area so I can get out to Maryland St. or Grove St to film at the Mini Bells?
To be totally honest, we (mostly I) told you it is a sh!tshoot on their return and you either have to sit and wait or be out chasing them to know when they're coming back...I guess you learned your lesson :wink:

You guys stink..bagging these trains 2 minutes from school...I can hear them, but I can't skip to get them (A certain tower operator would not enjoy the phone call home) :twisted:[/quote]
Hey your almost there, but it is nice to rub the foam in your face. :lol: :twisted: :wink:

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I was in Alpena this week and the LSRC is building an addition to the roundhouse where they load the boxcars for DPI its an encloser so they can load the cars out of the elements. FWIW the 4300 was sitting in front of the roundhouse yesterday.
Also FWIW i was inside the old P&G plant in Cheboygan and spoke with the shipping and receiving clerks the last person from the P&G days had just retired its called Great Lakes Tissue now he said they went from 1100 to 1300 people in the 1960s and 70s to around 100 today what a blow to the economy up there when P&G pulled stakes in 1990 and was a major rail user.
Last edited by penn central on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:Problem was I wasn't banking on them being back so quickly either. I looked at the previous posts and guessed that maybe they would be back a lot later...
Apparently you didn't read my post where I said they'd be returning between 10-11am. Patriot reported them across Leonard at 11:05, so I guess I was only 5 minutes off.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:

Okay I'm in Grawn now and nothing had been through any crossing . 3 inches of snow on the rails at the crossings, and obviously nothing been through here in years. :(