Pennsy E's to Chicago.

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Pennsy E's to Chicago.

Unread post by GLC 392 »

admin edit: moved this from Ohio to Train Location Updates, and will move back after E's are back east.

Some may know this and some may not but Wednesday May 4th the Juniata/PRR E8's will be departing Philly for Chicago to be part of National Train day. The train will lay over the 4th in Pittsburgh and be a early afternoon run across Ohio. The Consist will be PRR 5711, 5809 and coaches Little Juniata Rapids, Warrior Ridge, and Pennsylvania 120. No schedule is 100% but this is the proposed schedule as of now.

"Depart Philadelphia Wednesday AM for Pittsburgh. departure now scheduled for about 9 AM.

Overnight in PGH, departing at 8AM for Chicago via Cleveland and Toledo

Returning to Pittsburgh on Sunday morning the 8th departing Chicago around 8 AM.

Overnight in PGH departing for Philadelphia about 8:30 AM Monday Morning"

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Pennsy E's to Chicago.

Unread post by strugglin »

I'm gonna assume this will have an NS diesel on the point? I'd really like to see these, just not sure it will be worth a drive from Columbus to Cleveland or Bellevue, which will probably be as close as these get to me.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I don't believe so, these engine's are cab signaled equipped to my knowledge and they have run on NS many times before with out a NS leader. Also this train will not go through bellevue.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Right, it'll have the E's leading and will not go thru Bellevue, but rather the "Lake Shore" line from Berea to Toledo. Thanks for the heads up by the way.
Brett

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Amtrak crews will be on it; last I had heard was a 9am departure from Pittsburgh. If it does leave around then, should be into Toledo around 2p for a crew change and make for some good photos---provided the sun doesn't get shy....

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I guess I know where I'll be Next Wednesday.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

TrainWatcher wrote:I guess I know where I'll be Next Wednesday.
Your gona drive to PA to shoot them? Cauz they ant going to be into Ohio until Thursday.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Your gona drive to PA to shoot them? Cauz they ant going to be into Ohio until Thursday.
I just might. But Thursday works better.

Need to ask a few questions though, will they run via the NYC thru to Toledo, or do they come off the connection at Oak Harbor? And #2 are there any good looking "Non Amtrak" depots West of Toledo that are accessable.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Well how far west are you looking? The Chesterton, IN depot is restored and very accessible.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

TrainWatcher wrote: will they run via the NYC thru to Toledo, or do they come off the connection at Oak Harbor?
To my knowledge they are running to Chicago on the former NYC. More than likely they will change crews in Toledo.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

TrainWatcher wrote:Need to ask a few questions though, will they run via the NYC thru to Toledo, or do they come off the connection at Oak Harbor?
I don't see why they would run them via Bellevue and Oak Harbor when they can just run them on the NYC the whole way.
Bottom text.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Y@ wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Need to ask a few questions though, will they run via the NYC thru to Toledo, or do they come off the connection at Oak Harbor?
I don't see why they would run them via Bellevue and Oak Harbor when they can just run them on the NYC the whole way.
I'd heard it's running as an Amtrak move with an Amtrak crew - which removes any doubt as to routing across Ohio... (in case that's not obvious enough - the same route as the Capitol/Lakeshore west of Cleveland)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

i would love to see someone get a couple shots of this move at sandusky bay.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

TrainWatcher wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:
And #2 are there any good looking "Non Amtrak" depots West of Toledo that are accessable.
Delta
Wauseon
Stryker
Waterloo
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MDH wrote:
Y@ wrote:
I'd heard it's running as an Amtrak move with an Amtrak crew - which removes any doubt as to routing across Ohio... (in case that's not obvious enough - the same route as the Capitol/Lakeshore west of Cleveland)
To add to that, I had heard that the E's would not be leading, rather trailing an Amtrak unit or two. Doesn't seem to be the case though.
Bottom text.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

If the E8's are leading, then I'm 100% driving up to Cleveland to see them, that will be totally worth the drive and I can visit my family while I'm home.

Anyone gonna see the NS OCS train tomorrow?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

dti407 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:#2 are there any good looking "Non Amtrak" depots West of Toledo that are accessable.
Delta
Wauseon
Stryker
Waterloo
Thanks Greg. Not sure how far East i'll be headed but I will be trackside very early Thursday. Prolly go as far West as Elkhart. The Depot at Delta would be nice.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Ha youll never catch them James, its running as a Amtrak train, you would have to drive right from Toledo to Elkhart on 80/90 to catch them at 79 MPH.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Ha youll never catch them James, its running as a Amtrak train, you would have to drive right from Toledo to Elkhart on 80/90 to catch them at 79 MPH.
I will keep that in mind thanks.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I have not gotten a 100% confirmation yet if the E's will be by themselves i have heard they will then again i have heard that they will have amtrak equipment leading, But from people i have talked to who know Bennet Levin say that he never said anything about a Amtrak leader and he would be the person to have a really good idea. I guess we will see Wednesday.