Great Lakes Central Updates December

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central Updates December

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

GLC in Cadillac today:

Transformer load being moved from Selma Yard towards North Yard along with a plastics hopper, gondola and some tank cars at 0915.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates December

Unread post by Doktor No »

I came across M55 from Lake City this PM and was going to go into Cadillac and snoop...but jumped on 131 and headed home instead....I swear that NEXT TIME I'm going thru town to see what I can see but usually don't.
Then again you guys keep us informed anyway...so THANKS!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

CRAPPY day to shoot trains, but none the less I gave it a shot.
Here's the famous 3rd transformer into Elmira, actually its not a transformer but a generator!

Now comes along the 399-398 on their return trip from Petoskey, with 7 plastic empty's and two idler gondolas used to haul the KRL 370356 north.
With their train on the main, they pick up the two depressed center flats used to bring in the transformers.

Out of the siding and back onto the main.

With their train whole again, they start heading south.

Later and with even less light, the 399-398 roll through Mancelona on their merry way towards Cadillac.

At least one more generator and two turbines to come still, plus another transformer???? STAY TUNED!

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Nicely done, KC.

Petoskey Plastics gets about 120 cars annually. It seems when GLC goes to Petoskey they have 6-10 cars in tow. At that rate they would only have to make the trip there every 3-4 weeks. But it seems they go more often. Anyone know how often they go to Petoskey and if someone else besides Petoskey Plastics is getting their pellets there?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

AARR wrote:Nicely done, KC.

Petoskey Plastics gets about 120 cars annually. It seems when GLC goes to Petoskey they have 6-10 cars in tow. At that rate they would only have to make the trip there every 3-4 weeks. But it seems they go more often. Anyone know how often they go to Petoskey and if someone else besides Petoskey Plastics is getting their pellets there?
What about East Jordan Plastics?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

EJP receives their cars from a team track in Mancelona. Seems like they get around 25-30 annually. I read that the plastics plant in Rogers City might be getting their plastic from Petoskey too. If that's true then the number of plastic pellet cars going to Petoskey makes sense. But the RC traffic is unconfirmed to me.
redside20 wrote:
AARR wrote:Nicely done, KC.

What about East Jordan Plastics?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Nice photos once again KC. I had a feeling they would be hauling that north yesterday. Managed to just catch them pulling away. Thought that may have been a generator since it had a big GE on the side.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 left Cadillac at 1030 for Clare with 1 pole load, 4 MAC hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 2 lp tanks, 3 covered hoppers, 2 depressed flats, 2 gons, 3 coke empties, 2 covered hoppers and 2 lp tanks. Hard to tell the difference between the plastics hoppers and the grain hoppers unless I'm right on top of them.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 left Cadillac at 1030 for Clare with 1 pole load, 4 MAC hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 2 lp tanks, 3 covered hoppers, 2 depressed flats, 2 gons, 3 coke empties, 2 covered hoppers and 2 lp tanks. Hard to tell the difference between the plastics hoppers and the grain hoppers unless I'm right on top of them.
Should be a TC run very soon as there are still two empty center beams and a box car at Amerhart. I suppose they are waiting for more loads, but I imagine since the cars were delivered last Wednesday, they'll start costing someone money. I wonder if it's becomming hard to keep up with the workload on the north end with one crew and all the new traffic (feed, MAC, ties, soon to be cement, etc)?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

The nearly 50 cars CSX brought for GLC and put in the Howell/ Ann Pere pass Sunday night still sits there at noon on Wednesday.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

BL2-1843 wrote:The nearly 50 cars CSX brought for GLC and put in the Howell/ Ann Pere pass Sunday night still sits there at noon on Wednesday.
Any idea if those were all mixed, or a grain train? Are they having a tough time keepign up, or just don't need those cars right away? Hmmm....

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

TC Man wrote:
BL2-1843 wrote:The nearly 50 cars CSX brought for GLC and put in the Howell/ Ann Pere pass Sunday night still sits there at noon on Wednesday.
Any idea if those were all mixed, or a grain train? Are they having a tough time keepign up, or just don't need those cars right away? Hmmm....
All Mixed, the usual coke, used tie loads, long black tank cars, shorter white tank cars, a few grain/plastics cars, lumber empties for loading etc. Not sure why GLC hasn't picked them up other the fact probably nobody from CSX told them were there, which sounds like the most logical.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

When is the last time GLC went south from Owosso? Rhetech usually gets switched M, W and F. So GLC crew should have seen the 50 cars if they were on their normal schedule.
BL2-1843 wrote:Not sure why GLC hasn't picked them up other the fact probably nobody from CSX told them were there, which sounds like the most logical.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1545 with 2 coke hoppers, 6 tie loads, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 bulkhead pole load, 1 loaded centerbeam, 3 grain hoppers, 1 tank (1230) and 10 lp tanks.

I got lucky seeing them today, usually I miss them when I have a day off.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1545 with 2 coke hoppers, 6 tie loads, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 idler, 1 pole load, 1 bulkhead pole load, 1 loaded centerbeam, 3 grain hoppers, 1 tank (1230) and 10 lp tanks.

I got lucky seeing them today, usually I miss them when I have a day off.
Thanks for the detailed report! So they should be coming to TC tomorrow or Friday. If they wait for Amerhart to unload so they can grab the empty, they'll have a whopping 4 car train plus the power from TC!

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The cars at interchange are reported electronically at time of setout. Almost anyone on the CSX customer list...and GLC would be one of those...gets the immediate update and they KNOW they are there. Just like we get an update when UPS or FED EX drops a package at our doorstep. You get an email...you just HAVE TO LOOK at the email.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 in the North Yard with 9 lp tanks and 1 centerbeam at 0920. They started to switch the MAC facility and I had to leave. I would strongly expect them in TC later.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:399 in the North Yard with 9 lp tanks and 1 centerbeam at 0920. They started to switch the MAC facility and I had to leave. I would strongly expect them in TC later.
I did hear them in TC about 11:45am- didn't get to go find them though. By the sounds of the horns, they were just gettign to the depot (based on counting horn/crossings/volume to know where they are at).

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

GLC has just picked up the cars off the CSX Ann Pere pass at Howell, and will be heading north by 21:00. By the house here on the CSX main at 20:10, CSX added more cars last night, so they picked up 70 cars. GLC 390+395.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 1010 with 2 empty centerbeams, 4 pole loads with 2 idlers, 6 tie loads, 1 boxcar, 3 tanks and 4 grain hoppers.

Didn't see them return.