N.Baltimore OH intermodal yard construction pics

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N.Baltimore OH intermodal yard construction pics

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

I don,t know if Walbridge would fit into the "grand scheme" of the Marquette. I would like it if they proved me wrong though. If by some miracle we did aquire the mainline and trackage rights into Chicago and Toledo, we would have to hire a ton of good people real fast. The ranks of CSX guys that came up here are beginning to thin. Wonder how many GR, Garrett and other guys would go to N. Baltimore and how many would just give it up and jump ship so they don't have to move.
Bill

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

keep on dreaming!!! you don't even have the money to keep your track up to the 45 mph that it was when you took over let alone buy more . if you did have that kind of cash why didn 't you buy the ns it would have been cheaper.

Rob

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

rob wrote:keep on dreaming!!! you don't even have the money to keep your track up to the 45 mph that it was when you took over let alone buy more . if you did have that kind of cash why didn 't you buy the ns it would have been cheaper. Rob
GDLK leased from NS, not a purchase. I drove by Hughart today, a line of flour cars, a line of plastic cars, a few coil cars for Magic and a few glass cullet cars. The GM plant on 36th was still viable when the lease was signed. The plant closure was announced later. I don't think this turned out be be such a good deal for Watco.

knute
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by knute »

Robby check your old timetable the line was never 45 since you or I have been here.
The track IS maintained to 40 mph standards and the track CSX didn't maintain(Manistee sub) is now back up to track speed and there is no more excepted track in Manistee and spending a million and half this year on our track
trying to fix what your company couldn't do and didn't want to do anyway hardly constitutes as not being able to afford it.
As far as the NS line goes drive by Hughart and look at the emptiness.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Here's a link to the Toledo Blade article covering the ceremonial groundbreaking at the Facility on Friday.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /908159997

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

On this trip, they are putting I beams under the completed concrete crossovers and associated switches so a crane can pick it up all at once,(different pieces, not all, all at once) and insert them in place when the time comes. Also rails installed in the pavement at Liberty Rd. Also signals and crossing equipment is starting to appear for the stuff in NB. Also started work on second track in yard, and also can see subgraiding for the four loco tracks at the east end. Also can defiantly tell where the wye is going on the west end.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I was able to get a quick trip down there yesterday and have added a few photos to the file. Quite a bit of progress since my last visit. Given the rain they've had down there over the last few days though, some "drying out" may be necessary before they get going on any earthmoving they need to do do though!

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnai ... album=1273

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

I am not really familiar with that line. (dont know where mileposts are). So is this going to be east or west of North Baltimore? Also do you guys think it will increase train traffic through Fostoria and/or Deshler?

Thanks

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

New signals start at the diamond at Galatea, and head west. First new interlocking is one road crossing west of downtown NB, everything there is west to Hoytville. Give me a few and I will try to post a map.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Red is new tracks and signals. Yellow is new roads. Brown is new dirt view block. Blue is new water tank. MP 51 is first road on west side on North Baltiomre. MP 56 is just east of Hoytville.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Thanks for the "visual update" Matt!

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Was able to get out of the house for a while yesterday so I added some shots of the progress on the new interlocking at Hoytville and a couple shots from Rangeline Road (Western end) and Hough Road (eastern end). Progress is hard to see inside the facility itself due to the earthen barrier along SR 18 but crews have put down some concrete inside the facility for trailer parking etc.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Looks like good progress to me, MSchwiebert do you happen to know who the general contractor is?
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

boteman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by boteman »

MSchwiebert wrote:Was able to get out of the house for a while yesterday so I added some shots of the progress on the new interlocking at Hoytville and a couple shots from Rangeline Road (Western end) and Hough Road (eastern end).
Excellent! It is interesting to watch a new railroad facility come to life, even from 1500 miles away. Hopefully I'll be able to get by there next Summer and lay an eyeball on it.

Thanx for the photos and updates. This is really good stuff.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Here's a link for the contactor.
http://www.nicksavko.com/

They also did the NS terminal at the Rickenbacker facility in Columbus. I would also suspect that they would be in the mix for the new CSX facility in Columbus that's currently "on hold" until business improves.
SMRGUY wrote:Looks like good progress to me, MSchwiebert do you happen to know who the general contractor is?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I've added 4 more photos to show recent changes. The new interlockings for the facility have been placed into service and they use a satelite linkage to deliver the commands to the field - so they cannot be monitored with ATCS software. Also, the culvert work near the Range Line Road (on the west end of the project area) is done so the yard leads can be completed.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I've added another 5 photos to the file. Now that the snow has cleared construction is resuming with vigor. The loading/unloading cranes are supposed to arrive this summer, but in the meantime trackwork on the facility trackage is continuing and construction on the admin building is well underway.

boteman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by boteman »

It's curious to me that they're using wooden ties rather than concrete ties on the ramp lead tracks. I doubt that they want to tear up the concrete ramp to replace ties once they have everything poured, and we know that concrete ties last much longer than wooden ties, especially since they won't get the pounding in the ramp that they would get out on the high iron.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this project, much appreciated!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-59202

I've added a pdf file of a portion of the facility layout. If interested, I can add the remainder to this file in the same way.
My mistake on this, this photo is of the repair tracks and the locomotive track. The building is the "rail crew and hostler maintenance admin building"

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Yes, add it please. I'd like to see it.