ALCO Switcher In East Toledo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
NYC3001
Railroadfan...fan

ALCO Switcher In East Toledo

Unread post by NYC3001 »

Back in 1987 and again in 1988, while railfaning around the east side of Toledo, I came across a rare find from the shops of the American Locomotive Company. There was a blue ALCO switcher that operated off Front Street, east of I-280. Here are some photos of this engine in action. Does anyone know who the owner and operator of this switcher was? Also, is this an S-2 or S-4 from ALCO?

A privately owned ALCO switcher works at a factory in Oregon, Ohio. After moving these coal hoppers into position, the engineer pulled up and let me and my friends take some photos of the locomotive. You just don't see that kind of hospitality for railfans these days.

Taken with a Minolta Maxxum 7000, 35-70AF Zoom lens, and Hoya Skylight 1B filter. Film used was Kodak Kodachrome ISO 64. Exposure was 1/125th second @ f16.

Last edited by NYC3001 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours truly,

Ron
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: ALCO Switcher In East Toledo

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like it's switching the docks
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

It's along the then NS swing bridge just northwest of their Front St. Yard. (You can see the CSX ex-Toledo Terminal bridge in the right of the last photo as well.) As you can see from my photo there earlier this year that spot is now a vacant lot. It's probably the old Koppers plant but I don't know exactly where on Front St. it was.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railohio wrote:It's along the then NS swing bridge just northwest of their Front St. Yard. (You can see the CSX ex-Toledo Terminal bridge in the right of the last photo as well.) As you can see from my photo there earlier this year that spot is now a vacant lot. It's probably the old Koppers plant but I don't know exactly where on Front St. it was.
sweet photo RO 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I think that may be an Alco S1 because the radiator shutters are rectangular instead of square. Here's a link to a Delray Connecting S1 http://www.railroadmichigan.com/delray70s01.jpg compared to this photo of a Staten Island S2. http://www.trainsarefun.com/sirt/sirt_s ... keller.jpg

I did do a little googling and the former Koppers Coke plant was located where those those pics were taken.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

My father has slides of the same unit as well. Does anybody know what happened to it?

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

LSRC wrote:My father has slides of the same unit as well. Does anybody know what happened to it?
I shaved with it this am :twisted:

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

ALCO Switcher Last winter

Unread post by jukeman45 »