IORY South End thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End thread

Unread post by midland sub »

CEFX 3092 UP (ex C&NW) paint SD40-2
LLPX 2602 CSX YNS GP38-2
CEFX 9392 if it ever returned from the ISRR
IORY 4085 (bad wheels)

A slew of IORY/CBNS GP50s that have been parted out to keep the rest of the junk running. 3 or 4 of the GP50s are supposed to be leaving to be rebuilt and repainted like the CIND GP50s. I'll believe it when I see it. There might be more, it's tough to say as they get swapped out to replace the ones with major problems.

Y@ wrote:What units are being stored in Norwood?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

NREX 5678 and CFE 3888 idle on a cold Sunday afternoon. They are sitting on the former B&O (CH&D) Wellston trackage in Wash CH. The DT&I main ran parallel to the B&O and was located in the foreground. The DT&I trackage in Wash CH was removed in 1982 after the GTW secured trackage rights over the B&O.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58964

IORY 4030 sits on the Midland main after making a trip east (north) to Grove City the night before. The plastic pellet cars are empties from Ashland Chemical in Grovetucky and the tank cars are empties from the Crop Production Services Liquid Fert. plant in Mt Sterling.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58963

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="midland sub"]CEFX 3092 UP (ex C&NW) paint SD40-2
LLPX 2602 CSX YNS GP38-2
CEFX 9392 if it ever returned from the ISRR
IORY 4085 (bad wheels)

A slew of IORY/CBNS GP50s that have been parted out to keep the rest of the junk running. 3 or 4 of the GP50s are supposed to be leaving to be rebuilt and repainted like the CIND GP50s. I'll believe it when I see it. There might be more, it's tough to say as they get swapped out to replace the ones with major problems.

[quote="Y@"]What units are being stored in Norwood?[/quote][/quote]

LLPX 2602 is either already gone or soon to be leaving as it is off lease and was getting new wheels before heading out, CSCD GP40 #6637 is stored, with CNBS 5002, IORY 5006, CBNS 5007 (5002 & 5007 both of which have blown motors and IORY 5006 has been a parts source since 2002) all 3 are supposed to head to the KYLE sometime this year for overhaul. CEFX 9392 & CIND 5003 have still not returned from the ISRR, other units noted at McCoullugh Yard(Norwood) CEFX 3092(which is off lease and stored by I&O for the leasing company),CEFX SD45R #9500, NREX 5597, IORY 4085, CFE 3883, CEFX 6671 & CIND 5008 in for all new power assemblies. The CIND is getting by with 5000, LLPX 2611 & PIR 2342, and an occasional 6 axle that shows up.

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

To open up the IORY South End topic I'm going to start sharing some pics from somewhere other than the Midland around Wash CH. Stuff from the Logan, DT&I South, Urbana, Mason and Greenfield lines will pop up as I have time to add them. I'll try and add pics of all of the current IORY power along with a few of lease units from a couple of years that have already departed the IORY.

South Charleston was a very important location to the DT&I from the 1950s through the late 1970s and early '80s. The DT&I crossed the Pennsy's C&X main (Columbus-Xenia-Cincy-Dayton-Indianapolis main). The interchange there became very important especially when the DT&I began running to Cincy over the Pennsy in the 1950s. There were interchange tracks at the diamond on all but the southwest corner. The northeast and southeast remain today for the IORY to access the former PRR.

CEFX 3092 and IORY 5001 sit on northeast interchange track on a Sunday afternoon in Sept 2009. They were involved in a rather ugly derailment earlier that day on the former PRR trackage to the Southwest Landmark dry fert. plant.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58960

Another shot of the 3092/5001 shows the former DT&I main in the background. The old Erie and PRR cabooses in the background are sitting on a stub of the northwest interchange track.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58961

Later that same day the 3092/5001 headed south to Wash CH and then east on the Midland to pick up an empty grain train at the CSX-IORY interchange at Haynes. Returning to Wash CH on the Midland they will run around the train and then head north on the DT&I South to Springfield.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58962

A CSX crew out of Columbus with an empty grain train for the IORY was waiting at Haynes for the crew on 3092/5001 to pick up the one already there.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58968

midland sub

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

Glad the 50's are gone from the CFE. They couldn't pull anything of tonnage. Wish Norwood would get the 5597 finished so there was decent power going to Chicago again. As of last week it was the 9362 and 4056 on the Chicago turn, but the 9362 stopped loading last Friday so the FWCH took the 3886, 505, 4056 to Chicago as tonnage out of the IHB has increased and they needed 3 units. Be nice if the CFE CMO would get a pair of the ex-SOO SD60's for the turn. I hear the ISRR and the AGR have gotten SD60's.

RA is hell bent on putting remotes in at Fort Wayne on the yard job, thats why they ended up with the 505, 506, but to this date that hasn't happened. I don't think Claytor realized what money needed to be spent to bring the remotes on line i.e.-shove lights etc. And believe it or not NS has a big say in the remotes going in. The CFE is so short on power they have been using the 505, 506 daily to power the other jobs.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Enjoying the pictures and updates guys.

What happened to those nicely painted GP40's? The current roster is like an ugly mutt contest :P
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

[quote="AARR"]Enjoying the pictures and updates guys.

What happened to those nicely painted GP40's? The current roster is like an ugly mutt contest :P [/quote]

Only IORY GP40-1's #4034 & 4036 are still around here but are on the CF&E I believe. The rest of the IORY Red/Orange scheme units (IORY 4031,4033,4035, & 4050)are on the Kiamichi Railroad(KRR) in Oklahoma.

Hopefully they wil come back here one day!

IORY_fan

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Midland Sub, i was heading in to School today and took a shortcut to Burt Street and as i was crossing the IORY I glanced to my left and i thought i spotted what appeared to be a plastic centerflow hopper at Maiweave on Pleasant Street. I'm not totally sure about this but i'm going to have to go back to Burt Street and check. Maiweave manufactures plastic pool liners
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I'm not sure about the plastic pellet car. I believe at the bird's eye @ Bing there's a siding near Burt St with pellet hoppers spotted.

You missed an impressive Springfield Turn this morning. IORY 4072-CFE 3888-NREX 5678 brought back to Was CH over 100 cars. 25 plus empty pig iron gons and 25 plus P&G tank cars along with a few miscellanous cars and 50 plus loaded grain cars from somewhere.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub, i went back to Burt Street this afternoon. There was indeed plastic pellet hoppers at the Maiweave Plant.
Exit stage left

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Just wanted to add that FEC GP38-2 #506 is at McCoullugh Yard in the deadline and has been there for a while, must be waiting for work of some kind. Also of note IORY 4034 is also in McCoullugh yard at the head of the deadline sporting a new set of horns and also there an a EMD 645 prime mover sitting next to the shop might be for 1 of the GP50's? IORY 4071, 4082, CBNS 5004 & LLPX 2611 were by the sanding tower, CSCD 6637 & IORY 4083(I believe) were infront of the shop, CSCD 6637 still has the shipping papers in the cab window from when ISRR shipped it back to I&O last year.

IORY_fan

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice update. I wonder if they ever installed cab heaters in FEC #506. I had heard that it was in the dead line for that issue, but never was confirmed. The CEFX 6671 was helping out on the CIND on Friday. IORY 4071-4082-CBNS 5004 seem to be the Wash CH Turn/Queensgate transfer power set.

CEFX 9400-CFE 3887 were reported on the LNL Sunday afternoon at the Western Ohio Yahoo group.

The Wash CH jobs have IORY 4072-IORY 4030-CFE 3888 and 3886. The 3886 should be heading south for Norwood for a Q and the APU warning labels installed on the hood doors. CFE 3884 is now working the Logan Sub and 3889 is either in Columbus on CSX or at Haynes on the Midland with an empty grain train. It also is heading for Norwood.

IORY_fan wrote:Just wanted to add that FEC GP38-2 #506 is at McCoullugh Yard in the deadline and has been there for a while, must be waiting for work of some kind. Also of note IORY 4034 is also in McCoullugh yard at the head of the deadline sporting a new set of horns and also there an a EMD 645 prime mover sitting next to the shop might be for 1 of the GP50's? IORY 4071, 4082, CBNS 5004 & LLPX 2611 were by the sanding tower, CSCD 6637 & IORY 4083(I believe) were infront of the shop, CSCD 6637 still has the shipping papers in the cab window from when ISRR shipped it back to I&O last year.

IORY_fan

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:IORY 4030 sits on the Midland main after making a trip east (north) to Grove City the night before. The plastic pellet cars are empties from Ashland Chemical in Grovetucky and the tank cars are empties from the Crop Production Services Liquid Fert. plant in Mt Sterling.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58963
Wow, that's a lot of tank cars. All those came from CPS?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

FEC 506 was sent to Norwood for new piston rings awhile ago. Yes in all of RA's wisdom, they sent the CFE 2 FEC engines so we could start remote op's on the yard job, but since the CFE is so power short we have been using them daily and the employees have been complaining about not having heat. Florida engines in the Northern Midwest where it snows daily and is flipping cold.
The 4034 was having major ground fault problems. CFE is really power short right now and our CMO has been fighting with corp. to get some more power. Apparently the 5597 is off lease and RA has placed an offer with NREX to purchase the unit, but no response has been received from NREX. So no repairs will be made to it until they hear something. The current FWCH power is the CEFX 9362 and TPW 4056. They have been struggling with trains out of Chicago due to tonnage and length increasing in the last few months.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Mt. Sterling is the regional (central and southern Ohio) liquid fertilizer plant for Crop Production Services. CPS consolidated quite a few of the central Ohio locations recently with Mt Sterling and the Wash CH dry fert. plant both picking up the slack for the closed locations. Mt Sterling was recently expanded with storage tanks from the closed locations installed. They had 17 cars at one point last week spotted for them. I believe they can unload 5 cars every two days. An extra crew worked them on Friday night spotting 3 loads (the derailed hazmat car on Wednesday) and picking up 5 empties. This is Mt Sterling's busy season, but even more so since the expansion.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the good info That Guy and Midland Sub

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

IORY 4071's nose was recently repaired and now has a black primered section:
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-59034

A former Penn Central cov. hopper still in pretty good jade green paint:
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-59029

LLPX 2611 with CFE 3888 back in August on the track where Wednesday's derailment happened:
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58967

Former Mexico City railroad TVFM MP15 and now HLCX 1401. The 1401 is seen in Blanchester on the former B&O St Louis-Cumberland main aka Chillicothe Sub of the Ohio Div.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58966

LLPX 2602 at Mt Sterling last July:
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-58965
midland sub

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

hey That Guy what do you do for the CF&E?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

I believe he is one of the newer "soon to be frustrated with upper management' conductors :wink: :wink:

Ask Joe about the home-made donuts my wife made one night for him and another co-worker------work safe--or don't work at all!!!!!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The IORY has "borrowed" a set of CSX GEVOs (5268/5278) for use on the Midland and DT&I South. They took advantage of CSX leaving the 2 on a 129 car combined empty grain train from Columbus on Saturday. The IORY didn't waste any time using the 2 take the empties north up the DT&I South to South Charleston and Southwest Landmark on the stub of the former Pennsy C&X (Panhandle) main. IORY 4072 was tacked onto the rear of the train and then lead on the trip north to South Chuck with the 2 GEVOs on the rear. Pretty interesting combo of cars- half are CSX cars with 3 still in their Capital Dome paint scheme and the rest are privates with a good number of former KYLE cars in the mix. After spotting the train they went engine lite back to Wash CH and then back east on the Midland main to Haynes. Where a CSX crew was waiting with another combined 130 empty grain train for the IORY. The IORY pulled the empty train south just enough to let the CSX crew run up the siding at Haynes and back onto the main to return lite to Columbus. There's an extra crew working on Sunday that at some point will use the 2 GEVOs again to take the empties to where ever they are heading. The CSX-IORY Haynes interchange process has improved greatly in the past 2 weeks since the newest IORY TM was "booted" out of Wash CH on the Midland, thus again borrowing the CSX power. The new guy is a real peach to deal with I hear, especially with CSX out of Columbus.