Odd sighting in Columbus, possible derailment?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Odd sighting in Columbus, possible derailment?

Unread post by strugglin »

I just returned home in Columbus after a seeing a CSX train with ES44 #895 & AC4400 #447 as the power pulling over 100 empty SCWX coal cars north up to Toledo on the CSX line via Marysville & Ridgeway, which is very odd because all CSX coal trains use the C&O line when going from Columbus to Toledo. Does anyone know if there is a derailment somewhere north of Columbus on the C&O? Or anyone have any info on the train I saw? I'm dumbfounded because I've lived near this CSX line for close to 5 years now, and this is the first time I've ever seen a coal train riding these particular rails. The line typically sees only grain and freight in Columbus, but does have intermodals north of Buckeye Yard, and autoracks north of Marysville.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Odd sighting in Columbus, possible derailment?

Unread post by midland sub »

No derailment that I know of. Could be just an oddball move via that route. I know someone that brought an empty coal train from Cleveland to Columbus via the same route. He's not qualified on the C&O back to Columbus so they routed it via the "long" way to get him home Memorial Day weekend.

¶aragraph
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ¶aragraph »

I don't have a lot of info, but here's what you saw at least:
symbol: T36407
Name is Pondcreek (CN) to Cross, Origin and Destination is Erwin TN.
Listed going from TN to VA, KY, OH, IN, IL, OH, KY, VA, SC, and TN. My guess is unload in IL to CN, and back to KY to load, then unload Cross SC, and back to TN.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

¶aragraph wrote:I don't have a lot of info, but here's what you saw at least:
symbol: T36407
Name is Pondcreek (CN) to Cross, Origin and Destination is Erwin TN.
Listed going from TN to VA, KY, OH, IN, IL, OH, KY, VA, SC, and TN. My guess is unload in IL to CN, and back to KY to load, then unload Cross SC, and back to TN.
You'd be wrong. Loads on the CN/IC south of Effingham, IL and returns east loaded. Southern Illinois Coal. New business by CSX, supposed to be around 6 to 8 trains a month.

Practice Safe CSX

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

I actually just saw this train return tonight via the same line loaded with coal, it was sitting off 670 waiting for clearence to turn south through Scioto Junction. This time it was #447 again, but with #537 as it's mate instead. I still wonder why this train went this route? Has to be the longest and heaviest train I've ever seen come down that line.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

strugglin wrote:I still wonder why this train went this route?

I think that this is the only easy way this train can go.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

dti407 wrote:

they must've turned the corner at Ridgeway onto the Scottlawn. I wonder if they can go through Louisville?
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: T364

Unread post by CSX_CO »

redside20 wrote:
dti407 wrote:

they must've turned the corner at Ridgeway onto the Scottlawn. I wonder if they can go through Louisville?
How the heck is the train supposed to get off the IC to get to CSX in Louisville? Memphis?

Train is loading in Southern Illinois. Easiest, fastest, and cheapest is to run via the connection at Effingham, onto the St. Louis Line, and east. Two AC's can pull that train on those hills. I'm not THAT familiar with CSX network once you get south of Louisville, but my guesss would be Memphis to Nashville to Louisville to Cincy to Russell. I don't imagine two AC's would get 108 loaded hoppers over that route without some assistance. You're looking at 4 crews to get to Russell to go through Louisville, let alone trying to get the train though Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, etc. 3 crews from Effingham to Russell via the other route, and you avoid the hills between Nashville and Louisville.

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PowellWye »

These trains are destined to Santee Cooper's Cross, SC power plant. It's always odd to see coal moving south out of Columbus, but it is now common place with the Santeee Cooper trains as well as the ones that load in the MGA fields for Duke Power that are routed up to Greenwich and down to Columbus for the trip south over the C&O and CRR.

Whit