Toledo Branch Stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Toledo Branch Stuff

Unread post by redside20 »

MSchwiebert wrote:http://sent-trib.com/trib/index.php?opt ... Itemid=115

Thomas & Betts took over the Lamson and Sessions facility a few years back - moving the plastic extrusion equipment out at that time, now remaining work is moving to a facility in TN.
oh brother..here we go again, how appropriate as consolidation is cited as the key reason for the move. another small blow for the Toledo Branch. While BG itself seems to be surviving in these hard times as they still have a decent industrial and commercial base that will soften the blow. But this closing leaves just three to four rail customers left in the BG area. Two grain elevators, one in BG, the other in Sugar Ridge. Pinnacle Plastics, Southeastern Container and the plastic bag place in Dunbridge
Exit stage left

redside20

This company in North Baltimore does not see any rail service, but now i see also that Continental Structural Plastics is in danger of closing in North Baltimore. CSP used to be called the Budd Company
Exit stage left

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

I would not worry to much about the fate of the Toledo Branch. There are some big plans in the works for the line.

CG Tower
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CG Tower wrote:I would not worry to much about the fate of the Toledo Branch. There are some big plans in the works for the line.

CG Tower
CoughcoughCNcoughcough. :wink:
Bottom text.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Nope, thanks for playing.

CG Tower

Y@ wrote:
CG Tower wrote:I would not worry to much about the fate of the Toledo Branch. There are some big plans in the works for the line.

CG Tower
CoughcoughCNcoughcough. :wink:

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Anybody remember the dragger at Dunkirk at MP 59? I never recorded it but maybe I can find it somewhere. That would be going quite a bit back though.
Brett

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I'm going to guess it has something to do with the new yard being built a few miles away from it...
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Good guess. We'll see... :-)

railohio wrote:I'm going to guess it has something to do with the new yard being built a few miles away from it...

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote:Anybody remember the dragger at Dunkirk at MP 59? I never recorded it but maybe I can find it somewhere. That would be going quite a bit back though.
No I can't say that I do. I do however remember seeing that there was a DED at that location in a track chart from the mid or late 80s.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CG Tower wrote:Good guess. We'll see... :-)

railohio wrote:I'm going to guess it has something to do with the new yard being built a few miles away from it...
Next should come that connection at Galatea!

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

bdconrail29 wrote:Anybody remember the dragger at Dunkirk at MP 59? I never recorded it but maybe I can find it somewhere. That would be going quite a bit back though.
I have a recording of it-I recorded all six on the section from Lime City to Kenton about '93.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Had a little time after going to the air show at Metcalf field today to check out who gets service of the "Chrysler lead" and the company's name is Precision Strip.http://www.precision-strip.com/locations
Although First Solar does have a pretty cool solar powered set of gates/lights on the private road that joins their facilities together.

redside20

i did some research on Hoovers to try and find what that the chemical plant in Bowling Green with the tank cars on bing maps was called. I was able to come up with Noveon and went to go click on the link, and in doing so it came up with another company. And that company is called Lubrizol and like someone mentioned that they had gone out of business.
Exit stage left

redside20

here is a list of all online business on the Scottslawn Sub and Toledo Branch and with the way thing are looking and despite some closings. i think CSX will hold on to this line for a good while.
Scottslawn Sub
Kileville-Heritage Coop
Marysville-Veyance Technologies(formerly Goodyear), Scotts Fertizer Plant (second largest customer on Scottslawn Sub after Honda) St Marys Cement, and Champaign Landmark in Marysvile
Raymond-Marysville and East Liberty Honda plants
West Mansfield-Heritage Coop
thats all for the Scottslawn Sub

Toledo Branch
Kenton; Carter Lumber, Precision Strip, International Paper, Durez Corp, Kenton Farmers Commission
Blanchard; Grain Elevator
Dunkirk; Crop Production Services
Arlington; Arlington Farmers Commission
Findlay; Hancor(2), Dow Plastics, Whirlpool and NS interchange traffic
North Baltimore; Keystone Foods
Bowling Green; Luckey Farmers, Pinnacle Plastics, Southeastern Container, and Lubrizol?
Sugar Ridge; Luckey Farmers
Dunbridge; Gerlak Plastics
Lime City; Chrysler, Ampoint, Precision Strip
Exit stage left

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Speaking of random Toledo Branch stuff - around lunchtime today (7/13) a loaded ballast train came North and tied it down on the Chrysler siding. They left 2 engines on the train (solid set of orange ballast cars) and ran engine light with the leader (of 3 originally) up to Stanley. Since it's always loads south empties north this is kind of an unusual move - wonder if they're actually dumping on the Branch somewhere? Anyway, sitting there as I type.

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

Speaking of D.D'S that still say Conrail. There is one on the Michigan Line near Chesterton In, that upto say last 09 still said conrail
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I did some looking on Google Earth and it looks like the two defect detectors that replaced the one in Kenton are located right at a couple of road crossings. The one at milepost 75 appears to be at County Road 190 and the one at milepost 65 is at State Route 701.

Possibly CSX_CO could confirm this? Or maybe I should get off my ass and take a drive up there...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote:I did some looking on Google Earth and it looks like the two defect detectors that replaced the one in Kenton are located right at a couple of road crossings. The one at milepost 75 appears to be at County Road 190 and the one at milepost 65 is at State Route 701.

Possibly CSX_CO could confirm this? Or maybe I should get off my ass and take a drive up there...
Sounds about right. I don't know the road names, but they aren't far off road crossings. New DED and signal installations are usually getting placed at locations with good access. Gone are the days of hi-railing into remote locations, if it can be avoided.

Practice Safe CSX

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

MDH wrote:Speaking of random Toledo Branch stuff - around lunchtime today (7/13) a loaded ballast train came North and tied it down on the Chrysler siding. They left 2 engines on the train (solid set of orange ballast cars) and ran engine light with the leader (of 3 originally) up to Stanley. Since it's always loads south empties north this is kind of an unusual move - wonder if they're actually dumping on the Branch somewhere? Anyway, sitting there as I type.
A ballast train was dumping on Wednesday evening from CP 14 to MP 20. He ran to Galatea ahead of Q219 and ran around his train, presumably to take it back toward Toledo. I saw them from I-75 dumping north of Bowling Green while going to intercept the Q219 at Dunbridge.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Took the kids to BG today to see "Despicable Me" (at $2.50 a ticket - it was worth the 10 minute drive!) and on the way back, passed by the "north end" industries in Bowling Green, and Lubrizol had a tank car in and the Plastics plant (Google Maps says Southeastern Container - I do know it has been a Rexam facility at one time too) had 5 or 6 5700 cu. ft covered hoppers in. Interestingly enough Thomas & Betts had a 5700 cu. ft. covered hopper in too - even though they're slated for closure. New Ballast has been dropped through town (northward to at least Lime City) and there were gons parked in BG presumably loaded with ties as well.