Toledo Branch Stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo Branch Stuff

Unread post by CG Tower »

In my flyover at Galatea, noticed some cars spotted at the industry there next to Air Products. We did not circle that interlocking as we were hi-tailing it to Fostoria. I did not notice any any other changes to the diamonds, including the fact that the bracket post was still up.

E at CG

MSchwiebert wrote:Took the kids to BG today to see "Despicable Me" (at $2.50 a ticket - it was worth the 10 minute drive!) and on the way back, passed by the "north end" industries in Bowling Green, and Lubrizol had a tank car in and the Plastics plant (Google Maps says Southeastern Container - I do know it has been a Rexam facility at one time too) had 5 or 6 5700 cu. ft covered hoppers in. Interestingly enough Thomas & Betts had a 5700 cu. ft. covered hopper in too - even though they're slated for closure. New Ballast has been dropped through town (northward to at least Lime City) and there were gons parked in BG presumably loaded with ties as well.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Quick question, don't know if it's been asked or not, but where did the name "North Tromley" come for that detector?
Bottom text.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Actually, its "Trombley" not "Tromley".

When you do a Google search for Trombley, it takes you to that group of buildings north of Cygnet. So, somehow, that crossroads was give that name. There are locations like this throughout Ohio. Mainly these names were interurban stops at one time.

Eric at CG

Y@ wrote:Quick question, don't know if it's been asked or not, but where did the name "North Tromley" come for that detector?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CG Tower wrote:Actually, its "Trombley" not "Tromley".

When you do a Google search for Trombley, it takes you to that group of buildings north of Cygnet. So, somehow, that crossroads was give that name. There are locations like this throughout Ohio. Mainly these names were interurban stops at one time.

Eric at CG

Y@ wrote:Quick question, don't know if it's been asked or not, but where did the name "North Tromley" come for that detector?
Thanks Eric, me and Aaron were pondering it while heading north on I-75 on the way back from Carey yesterday.
Bottom text.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

just so happens to be in the village of North Trombley
Exit stage left

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

What village? Just so happens there is not one there...

Eric
redside20 wrote:

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, I looked it up, Trombley was an interurban station on the Toledo, Bowling Green and Southern Traction Company. Believe it or not, a branch from this location went east to Jerry City.

Trombley, Mungen, Merrmill, Portage...all small locales that have faded somewhat to obscurity...all station stops on this line.

Eric at CG Tower
Y@ wrote:
CG Tower wrote:Actually, its "Trombley" not "Tromley".

Eric at CG

Thanks Eric, me and Aaron were pondering it while heading north on I-75 on the way back from Carey yesterday.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I just picked up a copy of "North Baltimore and it's Neighbors" by Arcadia Publishing (http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/)from Books a Million (it's part of the same series as the Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio, and other Rail Related books covering this area) and in it there's a copy of an 1897 map of southern Wood County that shows a "Trombley PO (Post office)" on the T&OC. Now where the "North" came from (perhaps there was a siding with a train order station at the north end?) I do not know. Keep in mind that Wood County (especially the southern half) was chock full of little towns that sprang up during the oil boom - only to disappear as the field played out (the wells were drilled too close together causing the naturally occurring pressure used to help force the oil to the surface to dissipate - rendering the remaining oil not cost effective to recover).

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

This makes sense Mike. I am curious when it faded from obscurity. Scott Trostle's "The Lima Route" book has a great detail on the interurban side of this...I am trying to figure out where this line ran in relation to the NYC. The TBG&S was abandoned by 1930.

Eric

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

redside20 wrote:
Doesn't exist.
Bottom text.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Y@ wrote:
redside20 wrote:
Doesn't exist.
In the early days of the railroad the village of Trombley was probably still around but after it dissolved the railroad probably kept the name for the area. In fact, if you type in "Trombley, Ohio" into Bing Maps, it points you to the intersection of I-75 and Cygnet Road (the Dixie Highway is there as well). However the detector is up at the Jerry City Road crossing (thus North of Trombley).

And for those who aren't familiar with the area, the nearest town is Cygnet.

redside20

oops sorry everybody...yes someone mentioned Cygnet or Jerry City and Trombley was right around there somewhere. I was looking it up in my atlas and gazeteer and Trombley is just a place name.. might be a few houses...but no village
Exit stage left

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

Whoever was in charge of programming the old Conrail detectors did a good job of research-there were a few around that had some old names used, like the old DED on the Columbus line at mp 90. The name was "Sims Station". "West Richey" was another, on the Fort Wayne Line.
I like hearing North Trombley in its old voice. A bit sentimental, I guess.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Unless I missed something, it still is in its old CR voice. At least it was last time I went to Deshler, about a month ago.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

It's still in the Conrail voice, at least as of last Thursday.
I didn't think the shortly used "female voice" on it was that hard to understand, but I was glad they changed it back.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

cr6903 wrote:It's still in the Conrail voice, at least as of last Thursday.
I didn't think the shortly used "female voice" on it was that hard to understand, but I was glad they changed it back.
As of Saturday, it's still in Conrail voice.
Bottom text.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

cr6903 wrote:It's still in the Conrail voice, at least as of last Thursday.
CSX_CO said that it dinged Q-219 for a defect and the crew couldn't understand what axle the defect was on so they had to check each axle one at a time. Because of that they complained to the maintenance department and two days later the detector was changed back to its Conrail glory. They also seemed to turn the volume up on it because it seems hellaciously loud. I remember sitting at South Deshler a few months ago, standing 20 feet from my car and hearing it quite clearly (and I have no external speaker on my scanner).

redside20

i know this is a Toledo Branch discussion but what was the name of an abandoned rr line that ran west of the Toledo Branch and that split from the B&O at Tontogany and ran through Bowling Green and through villages and place names like Portage, Rudolph, Ducat, Bays, Plaza, Hammansburg and finally ending at North Baltimore. This is all in my gazeteer that i'm looking through right now. Were they once thriving communities because of the nearby oil boom and rail line as well?
Exit stage left

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

redside20 wrote:i know this is a Toledo Branch discussion but what was the name of an abandoned rr line that ran west of the Toledo Branch and that split from the B&O at Tontogany and ran through Bowling Green and through villages and place names like Portage, Rudolph, Ducat, Bays, Plaza, Hammansburg and finally ending at North Baltimore. This is all in my gazeteer that i'm looking through right now. Were they once thriving communities because of the nearby oil boom and rail line as well?
That's alright, it's in the neighborhood anyway. I believe that was the B&O Bowling Green Branch.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes B&O, its the missing leg of the wye in Deshler. I want to say it was the Bowling Green Sub.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!