Toledo Branch Ramblings

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo Branch Ramblings

Unread post by CG Tower »

My wife had an all day meeting in Marion, Ohio, so CG Tower 2.0 and I dropped her off at her appointed time and we traveled toward Ridgeway and the southern end of the the Toledo Branch.

With CSX running a new train, Q233, and a relatively consistent departure time of 7:00 am (ish) southbound at Toledo, we figured a good shot of this new train would be a nice opportunity then return back to Marion and AC Tower. Well, the best laid plans were interrupted by more trains then planned.

Discussion with the dispatcher reveals a grain train picking up at Kenton and will return south later that morning. In addition, a heads up from MDH and a signal maintainer asking for time near Ridgeway to find that Q132 was getting near. We head to CP78, the north end of the siding at Ridgeway. Granted, its a northbound and somewhat back lit, but I like it.

Photos 1 and 2: Q132 heads north at CP78, the north end of the siding at Ridgeway.

Unfortunately, our plans for Q233 were thwarted. The dispatcher informs the Q132 that they will meet Q233 at Galatea and that Q233's power is dead (actually, the dispatcher said the engine broke). But fear not auto parts, the Kenton local power heads off northward to aid the Q233.

Grabbing an early lunch, we head back south toward Ridgeway to get the south bound grain train, but hear of an eastbound sitting at CP120.

We take a detour to east of Mt. Victory to get the eastbound throttling out onto the single main.

The grain train G858, calls to get permission to leave from Kenton. We set back up at CP78 to await his arrival.

The Emergency Tool chest at CP78.

Finally, the G858 arrives...

The action shifts a bit to the Indianapolis Line.

Q123 arrives at Ridgeway and swings south with G858 waiting in the background.

Q123 enters the siding to meet northbound local H708. Thought back lit, we shoot the H708 with a healthy train, part of which will be handed off to the Kenton Local

After a long afternoon, Q233 arrives with the Kenton local power leading the crippled power set. The four engines nearly outnumbering the number of cars. The Kenton local power will cut off and return to Kenton with the cars dropped by H708 and the Q233 will turn its power to head to Avon.

Thanks for looking,

Eric
Last edited by CG Tower on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Toledo Branch Ramblings

Unread post by cbehr91 »

The ID desk is responsible for the Toledo Branch, not IE.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Thanks!

Edit made, though I am 99% positive he said "IE" but then again, the DS sort of mumbled most of the time...so ID/IE, its hard to say...plus, since the majority of the action and discussions centered around Ridgeway, both desks were used.

cbehr91 wrote:The ID desk is responsible for the Toledo Branch, not IE.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

F40PH Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by F40PH Fan »

:D nice shots I like the Slug unit!

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

While in Fostoria last night, i talked to the usual group of locals that hang out at the depot platform in Fostoria. And one of them told me that an AGRI-Supplier built or is building a fertilizer facility alongside the Toledo Branch at the corner of State Route 281 and Dixie Highway (SR 25). Can anyone of you guys out in Western Ohio confirm this new customer. Y@, Eric, the two Toledo Mike's Schweibert and Harding, RO anybody who is near can clarify this for me? 8)
Exit stage left

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yes they are, have been working on it for a few months now. Last time up 1-75 looked like it was ready for siding. Also has a huge door next to the tracks, that looks big enought for rail cars. Have not gotten off the freeway to check it out.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

redside20

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Yes they are, have been working on it for a few months now. Last time up 1-75 looked like it was ready for siding. Also has a huge door next to the tracks, that looks big enought for rail cars. Have not gotten off the freeway to check it out.
Thanks TTAM 8)
Exit stage left

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I believe it's Mid-Wood that's putting the fertilizer facility in there. The track (if there is one) should be on the outside as it's more important to keep the fertilizer dry than to unload the cars inside. Not having that side of the structure, I'd guess the opening is large to accomodate a front end loader used to load semi trucks or terra-gators.
Along those lines, Deshler Farmers Elevator is relocating their fertilizer plant from Deshler to Custar (on the property that they already own for their elevator). The reason why they're moving is that they wanted to expand their spur so they can get more rail cars in - but CSX would not put in a new switch on the Garrett sub to enable the building of a longer spur. Since they load out 65 car unit grain trains in Custar no additional trackage was needed there.

redside20

MSchwiebert wrote:I believe it's Mid-Wood that's putting the fertilizer facility in there. The track (if there is one) should be on the outside as it's more important to keep the fertilizer dry than to unload the cars inside. Not having that side of the structure, I'd guess the opening is large to accomodate a front end loader used to load semi trucks or terra-gators.
Along those lines, Deshler Farmers Elevator is relocating their fertilizer plant from Deshler to Custar (on the property that they already own for their elevator). The reason why they're moving is that they wanted to expand their spur so they can get more rail cars in - but CSX would not put in a new switch on the Garrett sub to enable the building of a longer spur. Since they load out 65 car unit grain trains in Custar no additional trackage was needed there.
yes...thats the name they told me. thanks Mike. for the life of me i couldn't remember the name of the facility, maybe its due to the early onset of alzheimers... 8)
Exit stage left

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Had to drive down to BG today for a cardboard recycling run, and decided to check the Mid-Wood facility out. They indeed are going to have rail service - the spur is in and had the track equipment for the tie replacement project on it. The spur ties in to the main to the south of the facility so it'll have to be serviced by a southbound train. Also, the cars will be unloaded under cover, probably via a dump pit. (most of the older fertilizer plants I'm familiar with use either a mobile conveyor belt "elevator" or an auger instead of a pit) Other notes for the BG area, Lubrizol had 2-3 tank cars on their spur and Lansom & Sessions appears to be finally closed.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

CSX sometime in the past few weeks has changed the voice on the North Trombley detector from the CR voice to a newer one.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken