Heartland Corridor

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

Heartland Corridor

Unread post by PowellWye »

With the Corridor opening for business on Thursday, what changes are we going to see on the Columbus and Sandusky Districts? So far it seems 233/234 will start to carry stacks south of Rickenbacker and 235/236 should move to a Heartland Corridor routing.

Also any word on the NS OCS making an appearance this week for the opening celebration?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Heartland Corridor

Unread post by AARR »

PowellWye wrote:So far it seems 233/234 will start to carry stacks south of Rickenbacker and 235/236 should move to a Heartland Corridor routing.
Is the Heartland Corridor over W&LE?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

No, technically only involves the ability for NS to run double stacks from Columbus to Norfolk, VA over the N&W. North of Columbus was already cleared for stacks.

Recently NS also received funding to eventually allow stacks over the Dayton District from Columbus to Cincinnati as well.

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/ ... tland.html

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I wonder if 227 will go that way some day too.
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I know the New Castle District will lose a couple trains and the Dayton and Sandusky Districts will add a couple intermodal trains. Other than that I'm not sure if any other lines will see an increase in traffic. I believe I read too that some trains will be split in Cincinnati.

I have a question though, will the Fort Wayne Line or any of the ex-Nickel Plate trackage add any trains?

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

I haven't heard anything official that the Dayton District is getting anything just yet until the clearance projects are completed. As for the trains we know that are coming, 235/236, it is expected that they will go via the Fostoria District vs a Toledo District/Chicago Line routing.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

I think anything that is added to/from Chicago will go via the NKP and NOT via Oak Harbor and the Chicago Line. It is WAY too congested from Bellevue to Oak Harbor. 863 one day had to go in the hole at Kingsway for 5 westbounds. It can get ugly up there.
Brett

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

bdconrail29 wrote:I think anything that is added to/from Chicago will go via the NKP and NOT via Oak Harbor and the Chicago Line. It is WAY too congested from Bellevue to Oak Harbor. 863 one day had to go in the hole at Kingsway for 5 westbounds. It can get ugly up there.
good point..and while were discussing routings, i don't see why the coal train destined for the Wheeling at Bellevue should get routed that way. the coal train i'm talking about is the 418/419 with the BN power
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah I've seen 419. They also ran a 420 the other way as well for a little while. But they all go Chicago Line to the connection for some reason. Guess it's not hot enough for them to care? But then again, it adds non-hot traffic to the Chicago Line. Don't know.
Brett

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

233 is out of Norfolk with stacks according to the OhioValley yahoo list.

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

I just saw NS 234 monday moring and he had JB hunt stacks along with UPS trailers. NS 2629 was in the lead.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

bdconrail29 wrote:I think anything that is added to/from Chicago will go via the NKP and NOT via Oak Harbor and the Chicago Line. It is WAY too congested from Bellevue to Oak Harbor. 863 one day had to go in the hole at Kingsway for 5 westbounds. It can get ugly up there.

There's a former mainline right beside most of it they could put another track on :D
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

Where did you see 234 though, as they have handled stacks west of Columbus for sometime?

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

PowellWye wrote:Where did you see 234 though, as they have handled stacks west of Columbus for sometime?
Fostoria Ohio going east bound.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

dti407 wrote:

There's a former mainline right beside most of it they could put another track on :D
Ah, if only railfans could run the railroads......

Anyways, I have seen 234 with UPS trailers before. Yeah I agree it's mostly double and single stacks but you never know, sometimes it does have ttx. Who knows why.
Brett

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Even the NKP can get pretty darn busy at times, how many more trains are we talking?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

I'm really not convinced that there would be too much traffic added. If any NEW trains do show up, they 1. won't be daily and 2. will be short.
Brett

PowellWye
Railroadfan...fan

I don't think we can draw too many conclusions with the Corridor only having been open 4 days. What we do know is the both 233 and 234 are carrying stacks at present with decent lengths to boot (the I34 that ran Friday had 6300' of train into Portsmouth). 217/218 are also supposed to start carrying stacks in the near future after being rumored that they would not. The pair will be rerouted in Virginia off the former VGN that is not cleared for stacks and onto the N&W.

As for new trains, by this time next week 235/236 should be routed this way how ever often they run. Actually there is an I36 (eye 36) out at Rickenbacker right now talking to Watkins YM on the radio feed, so I guess they are here already. Beyond these two additional trains it may be a bit longer before we see anymore traffic added.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

guys here is an update on all the changes....several members on the some of the other groups who also happen to be members here report...

233/234 will run seven days a week
236 will be a Columbus-Norfolk train and will take 26N's traffic south
*extras will run as needed
25A will take 236's place with the Cincinnati block
Exit stage left

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Whatever happened to the Columbus-New Jersey vans? I heard 24R still ran/left Columbus on Mondays, but I don't remember when 23R ran, I think it used to be Thursday through Crestline? Anybody know if these still run or have they been gone? Thanks.
Brett