North Baltimore Elevator

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

North Baltimore Elevator

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Any one know the status on the elevator in North Baltimore. Are they still shipping, or have they give up on shipping by rail? I only ask as the past few trips, there trackmobile has been missing and is not around. I know that I have not seen any cars there for the past year and a half durring the constructin of the new yard.

Also while on the topic of elevators, what can anyone tell me about the elevator at Standley? For the size of the place they ship out a ton of cars, Only finally this week, has there been a break in cars getting loaded. Seams for the past two months at least, there has been 20 car there to load about every two to three day's (thats all the room they have for cars also). And while that may sound like its not a lot, it turns out to be around a loaded 60 car train in a week or so. Is it a receving elevator just for shipping out, and receves a lot of its grain from other elevators? Or is it really bigger then I think it is?
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: North Baltimore Elevator

Unread post by Y@ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Any one know the status on the elevator in North Baltimore. Are they still shipping, or have they give up on shipping by rail? I only ask as the past few trips, there trackmobile has been missing and is not around. I know that I have not seen any cars there for the past year and a half durring the constructin of the new yard.

Also while on the topic of elevators, what can anyone tell me about the elevator at Standley? For the size of the place they ship out a ton of cars, Only finally this week, has there been a break in cars getting loaded. Seams for the past two months at least, there has been 20 car there to load about every two to three day's (thats all the room they have for cars also). And while that may sound like its not a lot, it turns out to be around a loaded 60 car train in a week or so. Is it a receving elevator just for shipping out, and receves a lot of its grain from other elevators? Or is it really bigger then I think it is?
Can't tell you much about the NB Elevator, but the Standley one I can try to help.

The Standley recieves mainly local grain, trucked in and then loaded into the cars. Some of the grain they recieve comes from a farm all the way down by Kalida, and IIRC it's a pretty huge farm. I heard something like that farm brings enough grain up to load 60-80 cars in 2 weeks at the peak of Harvest. The outbound loads go back to Defiance on Y101, and then I believe go to Toledo on Q324. I think some (if not most) of the loads are internationally shipped out via Lake Erie.
Bottom text.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Farmers Elevator Grain and Supply Association operates 3 locations in and around Standley. None of the three look very big. http://www.thefarmerselevator.com/index.htm Looks like between the three locations they can load 65 car units.

1956 - Quonset Building was built at Pleasant Bend for 55,000 bushel capacity.
1959 - Behlen Storage Building was built at Pleasant Bend for 100,000 bushel capacity.
1963 - A concrete silo, a capacity of 15,000 bushel, was built at Pleasant Bend. Also, two concrete silos and equipment was built at North Creek for a capacity of 28,000 bushel.
1967 - A concrete silo and equipment purchased at Pleasant Bend for 66,000 bushel.
1969 - A concrete silo was built at North Creek for 14,000 bushel.
1973 - Concrete silo with a capacity of 150,000 bushel purchased for North Creek and Pleasant Bend.
1974 - Concrete silo built at Pleasant Bend with a capacity of 75,000 bushel.
1976 - A concrete silo at Pleasant Bend with a capacity of 75,000 bushel.
1979 - Two concrete silos at North Creek with a capacity of 80,000 bushel.
1985 - Concrete silo at Pleasant Bend with a capacity of 120,000 bushel.
1986 - Concrete silo at Pleasant Bend for a capacity of 120,000 bushel. Butler warehouse purchased at Pleasant Bend for capacity of 100,000 bushel.
1996 - Constructed concrete hopper silo for a capacity of 45,000 bushel.
1999 - Extended railroad tracks at the Standley facility to 15 cars.
2000 - Constructed two 150,000 bushel grain tanks and equipment at Standley.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I see it says extended trackage to 15 cars in 1999. I say 20 only because they put 7 to 9 in one track and then the other track is nutted all the way from one end past the switch for the two tracks up to either the load out or even all the way to the main line. It just suppries me that a place that small loads that much.

I also see that it says they bought Standley in 1999. Wow lots of good info at that site, thanks Don.

It makes me mad that I could not join you guys the other weekend, I really really want to pick your brain. I think you know more then what you lead on. Deffinatly not irrelevent from my stand point. :D
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:It just suppries me that a place that small loads that much.
It's not the size that matters :wink: :lol:

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Yeah TTAM, Ol' Sage surprises me too with all the info he is carrying around in that noggin of his.

That was a good time, wish we would have had more time to spend down there---darn family obligations :wink: :wink: ---and that it would have been a little warmer too. We saw a train moving representing every rr that comes into town, so that was nice as opposed to seeing locomotives sitting around idleing.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Buster Manning wrote:Yeah TTAM, Ol' Sage surprises me too with all the info he is carrying around in that noggin of his.

That was a good time, wish we would have had more time to spend down there---darn family obligations :wink: :wink: ---and that it would have been a little warmer too. We saw a train moving representing every rr that comes into town, so that was nice as opposed to seeing locomotives sitting around idleing.
That's my kind of railfanning. I'm game to do it again sometime. I like the idea of checking out ADBF and JAIL from end to end.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Standley may not be big but that is some of the best dirt in Ohio. Yields are huge around here.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

North Baltimore only receives inbound fertilizer and those days are numbered. Mid Wood owner of the facility has built a new fertilizer facility on the Toledo branch and SR 281 near Portage. The new facility will service all customers in Wood County and surrounding area from one location.

Stanley Elevator is owned by the Farmers Elevator and has four locations Pleasant Bend North Creek and Holgate. During Harvest the big player for corn in the area [Poet of Leipsic ethanol production] does not have the capacity to except much corn. Local elevators have the choice to either pile corn or ship it out by rail. Most of the corn is grown in the Stanley and Pleasant Bend area due to the better soil suited for corn production. The bigger farmer mentioned in the Kalida area is some of my wifes relation and they do not raise much corn do to the heavier soils in that area. Look for grain loading to drop off at Stanley once harvest is over unless Poet does not pay up in prices this winter. Very few soybeans are loaded at Stanley because most end users require a 65 car train at a time. Custar and Hamler are the few loaders of bean trains.