MaW Daily Reports

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MaW Daily Reports

Unread post by AC60CW »

That would have been 2 years ago around Christmas. I know it was cleaned up fairly quick. I didn't find out about it until after it was done and over. Father in law actual gave that picture. It was blocking Co Rd 17, is all I know. So they might have pulled the cars back enough to clear the crossing. But, I am not completly sure. I know I drove by on Christmas day and all was gone, but the rail was tore up. Maybe somone else around the area can fill in the actual details.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

They dumped a hopper over at Domersville Road this January

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

MagnumForce wrote:They dumped a hopper over at Domersville Road this January

I remember that one, too. lol
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Ouch
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

My understanding is covered hoppers are prone to tipping at slow speeds. Since all MAW is slow I suppose there's always a danger of a covered hopper tipping.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

That'd be harmonic roll. From 15-20 mph, covered hoppers develop significant harmonic roll as they hit the 39' rail joints on alternating sides (since the joints are staggered) of jointed rail. The condition is worsened as track structure deteriorates meaning that the poorer condition that the roadbed, ties and joints are in, the more drastic the roll. Given the track conditions on the MAW, it wouldn't take much speed to develop roll on a hopper.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

However, that track looks like the finest track on the MAW, doesn't it? Way better than pics of their other track on this thread!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

jwilliam33 wrote:That'd be harmonic roll. From 15-20 mph, covered hoppers develop significant harmonic roll as they hit the 39' rail joints on alternating sides (since the joints are staggered) of jointed rail. The condition is worsened as track structure deteriorates meaning that the poorer condition that the roadbed, ties and joints are in, the more drastic the roll. Given the track conditions on the MAW, it wouldn't take much speed to develop roll on a hopper.
Its Harmonic Rock, roll is what happens after it gets to rocking.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
jwilliam33 wrote:That'd be harmonic roll. From 15-20 mph, covered hoppers develop significant harmonic roll as they hit the 39' rail joints on alternating sides (since the joints are staggered) of jointed rail. The condition is worsened as track structure deteriorates meaning that the poorer condition that the roadbed, ties and joints are in, the more drastic the roll. Given the track conditions on the MAW, it wouldn't take much speed to develop roll on a hopper.
Its Harmonic Rock, roll is what happens after it gets to rocking.
In other words trains move to rock - n - roll 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Harmonic roll played no part in that derailment, if the MAW moves 5 MPH it's hauling @$$, also look at the gouge in the ties, you can see where it derailed and finally tipped over once the wheelset got far enough to the left. The derailment happened when a wheel rode up and over the flange at the Domersville Road crossing which is about 25 feet behind me in that crappy cellphone picture.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Rock.. roll....either way the result could be the same! :D

So, is that crossing in such bad shape, packed with dirt, what prompted the flange to ride up on that particular car? Could you tell from what you saw Brent?

BTW, Brent, how's your folks? I go past there all the time but haven't seen them for a while.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

The crossing is a very busy State Highway and really takes a pounding, if I had to venture a guess my bet would be that a piece of wood from the crossing caught on the preceding axle or axles and finally came dislodged jamming into the crossing and then the wheel rode up and over.

My folks are doing alright, a few health issues but nothing serious. Who is this by the way? Apparently I wasn't the only railfan in Wright, Amboy, or Ransom Township?

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

11/23/2010 7:45 EB MAW16 with 8-10 boxcars.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

I sent you a message Brent. Grew up down the road.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The MAW is sitting between County Road 16 and Jahns Road, facing east. They have six cars and at least three of them are derailed as they are leaning to the north pretty bad.
Bottom text.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

11/24/2010 12:55 EB MAW 16 with 6 cars (1covered hopper and 5 boxcars)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Figures. I stepped out of Lefty's after lunch and heard the train already over by Oakwood.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AC60CW wrote:11/24/2010 12:55 EB MAW 16 with 6 cars (1covered hopper and 5 boxcars)
Wow, can't believe they got them rerailed that fast. They had the 16 cut off too.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Honestly it really isn't that hard to rerail a car, if you know what you are doing it can take as little as five minutes to get a car back on.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:Honestly it really isn't that hard to rerail a car, if you know what you are doing it can take as little as five minutes to get a car back on.
I'm not saying it takes long to re-rail an upright car, but those three cars were leaning pretty badly. I almost stuck around to see if any of them tipped over, as it looked like that's what the MAW guys were anticipating.
Bottom text.