train hits cattle near Springfield

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

train hits cattle near Springfield

Unread post by redside20 »

a train plowed into herd of 20 cattle on the Dayton District near Plattsburg Ohio
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov/09/ ... r-285113//

more on the story in the Springfield paper
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/ ... 98893.html

Anybody up for some Black Angus burgers
Exit stage left

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Re: train hits cattle near Springfield

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

How could the cattle damage the train?
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by willardgarrett »

I can't believe that there are three hour investigations for bovine fatalities. Shows how ridiculous so many things are in this day and age.
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

I still cant understand how cattle could damage a train, maby a broken ditch light, bent hand rails but thats it. But thats what they probially ment.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

mike nowakowski wrote:How could the cattle damage the train?

i think the question should be, "why was there a whole head of cattle standing on a railhead at the brink of dawn"?.
as to the cattle damaging the train, think about it. 10000 pounds of muscle and bone standing around on a high speed freight line could probably result in some bent handrails and other pieces of bent metal and equipment damage. :roll:

This sounds like something out of the 1800s when trains would plow into herds of bison, antelope, bighorn sheep, cattle, etc...out west somewhere
Exit stage left

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Very poorly written article in the newspaper.
The mile-long Norfolk Southern locomotive couldn’t stop in time and visibility was probably too poor for the engineer to see the black angus cows, said Schultz.
I knew those catfish were huge, but not that big!!!

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

GTW6401 wrote:Very poorly written article in the newspaper.
The mile-long Norfolk Southern locomotive couldn’t stop in time and visibility was probably too poor for the engineer to see the black angus cows, said Schultz.
I knew those catfish were huge, but not that big!!!
What locomotive is a mile long? :roll:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Chip Beef anyone :lol:

Those cows should have moooooved over :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by willardgarrett »

cbehr91 wrote: What locomotive is a mile long? :roll:
What? You didn't hear about the new EMD SD300MACeXXXL-27? Compliant to EPA tier 32 emission standards, 444,000 HP, and with a D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D axle configuration? Canadian National is using them to haul all two of its system's trains around. CN management has realized that by running only these two 50 mile long freight trains each month on its entirely single track (and siding free) system, it can rationalize redundant trackage and increase profit margins. CN's remaining two customers (one in Montreal and one in Vancouver) are not pleased with the new development, as CN is pushing them to switch to using one 100 mile long train every two months instead. This way, CN can eliminate their yards in Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg, as currently one of the two 50-mile long trains has to cut it's self into all three of these yards to let the other train pass, and then go back and re-build their train after the meet. Although time consuming, CN states that this will greatly increase fuel efficiency. I can't believe you didn't hear about this.
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

willardgarrett wrote:
cbehr91 wrote: What locomotive is a mile long? :roll:
What? You didn't hear about the new EMD SD300MACeXXXL-27? Compliant to EPA tier 32 emission standards, 444,000 HP, and with a D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D axle configuration? Canadian National is using them to haul all two of its system's trains around. CN management has realized that by running only these two 50 mile long freight trains each month on its entirely single track (and siding free) system, it can rationalize redundant trackage and increase profit margins. CN's remaining two customers (one in Montreal and one in Vancouver) are not pleased with the new development, as CN is pushing them to switch to using one 100 mile long train every two months instead. This way, CN can eliminate their yards in Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg, as currently one of the two 50-mile long trains has to cut it's self into all three of these yards to let the other train pass, and then go back and re-build their train after the meet. Although time consuming, CN states that this will greatly increase fuel efficiency. I can't believe you didn't hear about this.
It's a good thing EHH is retired or he would try to develop this idea into reality...be darn the customers :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...