Wapakoneta

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Wapakoneta

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

What CSX job serves the industries? Also from I-75 I spotted what appeared to look like the end of a passenger car hiding out in the treeline East of the highway next to the US 33 grade crossing. On my way back south I am gonna stop and see if can take some photos.
Last edited by TrainWatcher on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Wampakoneta

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Wapakoneta not "Wampakoneta". Just like it sounds. :wink:

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Wampakoneta

Unread post by railohio »

D744 from Lima
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Wapakoneta

Unread post by redside20 »

James we call it Wapak for short. Customers served in Wapak include Ametek Winchester Plastics, which you can see to the east of I75. AIG Logistics, American Trim, and some other place
Last edited by redside20 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

redside20 wrote:James we call it Wapak for short. Customers served in Lima include Ametek Winchester Plastics, which you can see to the east of I75. AIG Logistics, American Trim, and some other place
As a Lima native, I also, call it Wapak. I really don't think that anyone from the area calls it anything else. :)
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Don't forget there still a short stub of the old NYC (TOC) St Mary's branch still active there.

Be careful calling it Wapak....you'll get scolded by a cetain somebody when you call a place by it's nickname.... :roll:

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

There's actually 3 or 4 cars there, but with the trees growing up next to them, they're hard to see in the summer. There's a small mobile home park next to where the tracks stub end that you can drive thru and get a better look.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thanks. Wonder if someone bought them and they're stored of they just got left there.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Everyone in Northwest and West Central Ohio refers to it as Wapak. I believe the school uniforms even say Wapak on them.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I know the schools track uniforms, and maybe even football, have Wapak on them.
Bottom text.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dominique »

I just happened to be in Wapakoneta on Friday and early part of Saturday. I was able to get out and check out the rail activity a little bit on Fri evening. I don't know what was going on as there was a hopper train(not sure if it was empty or not) sitting on the main north of town for what seemed like forever. There was another train sitting in the siding. I have a question about the short section of track that comes off the main line on the south end of town. It doesn't look like it runs to anything. Is this just a storage track of some sort. I thought the industrial track looked pretty cool running through town like it does.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Ahh the spur to nowhere south of town. The land down there is zoned industrial and set up for an industrial park. The spur was added to give rail access to any potential occupants.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

Well that makes sense from a future business standpoint. At least it isn't a remmant of an existing spur that's just waiting to get pulled out.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

I am honestly not even sure a switch was ever installed on the Toledo Sub for the spur.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

That spur kind of reminds me of that piece of track in Defiance that runs from the yard north toward the GM plant, but stops short of RT 281.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

dominique wrote:That spur kind of reminds me of that piece of track in Defiance that runs from the yard north toward the GM plant, but stops short of RT 281.
It used to go into the plant, but was removed. They didn't need two ways into the plant.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

At the GM plant they essentially just wanted one less crossing to maintain as there was little use for tow. The tracks still exists and is used on both tht enorth and south side of 281 but it just isn't connected.

You would be amazed at how much track GM has back there. There is a wye back there as well.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

I kind of figured that piece of track crossed over 281 at some point in the past. I always have been curious as to how much track exists behind the GM plant, not to mention the tracks that lead to that scrap yard east of the GM plant.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:You would be amazed at how much track GM has back there. There is a wye back there as well.
I know, you can see it on GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth. :wink:
Bottom text.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

I just checked out google maps. Holy smoke, that is alot of track back there. I would have never guessed that there is that much track there.