Ohio Central

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ohio Central

Unread post by Blackhat »

Sorry to bring this thread back from so many months ago, but after happening upon this board yesterday and reading this specific thread about the dearth of Ohio Central railfan coverage east of Columbus, I felt compelled to join the board and post some of what I've seen on the Panhandle this year.

Rather than dump a whole bunch of images in this thread, though, I elected to set up photo galleries like everybody else. So far I've managed to cover from Conesville east through Bowerston. Check 'em out!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I looked at a few of your pics and enjoy them and your written descriptions :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

@AARR: Thanks for the kind words. I've lived alongside the Ohio Central in Port Washington for the past nine years. While it was always fun to watch the action, I never seriously considered chasing and photographing their trains until I (finally) picked up my first dSLR at the beginning of the year. After being disappointed with the results from point-&-shooters, that brought the "fun" factor back to railfanning for me.

This part of the Panhandle is fairly photogenic. It's been easier to chase the Ohio Central trains since they tend to run slower than the Norfolk Southern coal trains. They're all good, though. It's kind of like when Conrail first started up around here: every diesel consist has the potential to surprise.

I'll be adding to my photo galleries as the trains permit. Thanks again!

Jake

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Blackhat wrote:I'll be adding to my photo galleries as the trains permit. Thanks again!

Jake
Looking foerward to it. Post something on the board when they are up so I know to look for them. :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

Okay, I gathered up a dozen pics of action on the Ohio Central around Port Washington before 2011 and uploaded them to a new gallery.

Jake

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Jake, where are your photo galleries? I don't see any links.

I can provide some new info in that OHCR 3328 & 3339 have been paired in operation, both in fresh orange G&W paint, both SD40-2's. Also, OHCR 4094, the exNCIR B23-7 I posted photos of on the last page, has been repainted into a black/orange paint scheme, basically now orange where the red stripe was. I've seen them all in Columbus recently, but have yet to get pictures of any of them.

Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry about that. Here they are:

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index-11866.html

Jake

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Blackhat wrote:Sorry about that. Here they are:

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index-11866.html

Jake
I enjoy your report describing what is going on as much as the pictures :)

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

According to the Columbus Railfan Yahoo Group:
G&W is making a $2 million dollar expansion to Newrark Yard. Two miles of new track and eight new turnouts. They recieved grants from the Ohio Rail Development Commission and the Ohio Department of Development.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

B-Town wrote:According to the Columbus Railfan Yahoo Group:
G&W is making a $2 million dollar expansion to Newrark Yard. Two miles of new track and eight new turnouts. They recieved grants from the Ohio Rail Development Commission and the Ohio Department of Development.
Wow..there is sure seems to be alot of expansion news going on today in the tri state area
Exit stage left

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Here's some updated locomotive paint pics from the CMH report I posted:

Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

Ohio Central is working on the grade crossing just east of milepost 98 on the Panhandle Line.

The resulting slow order allowed me to catch an eastbound Norfolk Southern train just east of the town I live in.

Usually there's no way to get ahead of a train in time to set up for this shot. Hope they take their time finishing work on that crossing!

Jake

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Nice catch, Blackhat, those are 2 new NS SD70ACe's on that coal train, too bad I missed them in Columbus!

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Thought I'd give this post a bump, shot these pics on 11/11/11 as they were adding Ohio Central 4094 & 4218 as helpers to NS 9334 & 6661 for added power on 577/578 off 5th Ave near Stelzer Rd to make for a rather interesting lashup for the trip east. OHCR 3327 & 4028 were also sitting on the siding awaiting work.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

OH Central has a smorgasbord of engines. Do they even have two that are of the same model?

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

AARR wrote:OH Central has a smorgasbord of engines. Do they even have two that are of the same model?
They have a buncha B23-7R's ("Super 7's"), but they're all in different paint schemes! :D

Blackhat
Railroadfan...fan

They're slowly getting everything repainted into the G&W livery.

On that note, here's a freshly-painted SD40-2 idling on the point of the Dennison Depot's Polar Express:

More pics here:

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnails-1653.html

My wife took our three grandkids on Friday night's first train. Of course, the kids loved it!

Jake

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Got some great shots today of OHCR 4022 & 4029 from the Greenlawn Ave bridge as they headed north along the Scioto River on NS towards Scioto with the Newark-Watkins Turn at 4:10pm.