Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by AARR »

FYI guys - I enjoy this thread and your updates. Thanks :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

railohio wrote:Central Soya cars would seem likely destined for Decatur, Indiana.
Isn't there a Central Soya in Delphos on the CF&E?
Larry.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Brakie wrote:
railohio wrote:Central Soya cars would seem likely destined for Decatur, Indiana.
Isn't there a Central Soya in Delphos on the CF&E?
Yes but it's called Bunge or Solae or whatever now..And they also serve a agricustomer in Landeck..D&D Distribution and can hold 50 cars at a time..
http://d-dfeed.com/
Exit stage left

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

You are correct guys. There's Bunge in Decatur, IN and Delphos, OH plus D&D Agri as was said. If they were Central Soya hoppers they most likely came/went from one of these Bunge plants.

10/20/11. WB LIFW at 11:22AM. Leading were IORY 4036/ CORP 4024 and 19 cars. These could have been 2 of 3 engines that Brakie talked about in Bucyrus. They've been running on the Ft. Wayne/Lima turns frequently. No reason they couldn't have went east on CFE to help on the grain train. LIFW had 13 empty steel flats, 4 gons and 2 box cars.

Most of the power that has been running on the FWLI/LIFW turns are CFE 3880/3882/3883/3886, IORY 4036/4034/4032 and CORP 4024 and FEC 505/506. Those are the regulars at any given time. Plus TPW 4056 once in awhile.

PW

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

If they were Central Soya hoppers they most likely came/went from one of these Bunge plants.
-------------------------------
PW,There is no doubts since the majority of the covered hoppers had the Central Soya logo that's How I identified the cars.
Larry.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Does any traffic from the Bunge Plant in Bellevue go that way to get interchanged at Lima with the CF&E or the I&O? Also I spotted a few more potential customers in Upper Sandusky and one of them might be Dlubak Glass because there is a spur going into the facility and there is another potential customer to the east of there by the CSX diamonds..Does traffic get interchanged here with the CSX..Also there is customer just west of town that looks to get tankers of ammonia. Also located in Crestling at the west end of the yard in the old roadrailer terminal is where a Sunrise Agri facility was built. But the majority of those cars go to CSX at Crestline but maybe i could be wrong. There is something else towards the east end of the yard towards Crestline..Looks like a mineral extraction facility of some type on google.
Exit stage left

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Good questions Redside. I believe at one time there was interchange with CSX In Upper but don't know about now. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

10/21/11. WB LIFW at 11:44AM. Leading were IORY 4036/CORP 4024 with 78 cars. Rolling along in the consist were 69 grain cars: including alot of Bunge hoppers: NYDX, CSYX, BNGX and probably as many NOKL grainers: are these off the I&O?, 2 gons, 3 boxes, 3 empty steel flats and 1 coil car.

EB FWLI working in Van Wert at 3:30PM with CORP 4024/IORY 4036 and 30 cars. Had 10 gons, 8 loaded steel flats, 4 tanks, 4 ballast hoppers, 2 grainers and 2 box cars. It was going out to CSP on the CN to pickup anywhere from 2-4 empties of plastics hoppers. So will leave town with around 32-34 cars.

PW

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

bnsf8000 wrote:Good questions Redside. I believe at one time there was interchange with CSX In Upper but don't know about now. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.
Last I knew the connecting tracks in Upper were leased to the elevator and unavailable to CSX. That's why the Wheeling trains to Lima have never utilized them.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

RailOhio that does seem right about the grain elevator using the connecting track not CSX. We've been there before and there has been grain cars out by the CFE. At times in the past there were other cars other than grain cars. I should know this, but where does the W&LE come and go to get to the CFE? I'm having STML--Short Term Memory Loss! :D I also take it that that the Wheeling hasn't started up the trackage rights train again. Not that it's suprising.

PW

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

bnsf8000 wrote:I should know this, but where does the W&LE come and go to get to the CFE?

Crestline
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

10/24/11. WB CFE train LIFW at the Hoaglin Center Road crossing by the Van Wert Terminal at 10:26AM. Train came rolling by the crossing at 35 mph and rolled to a stop with engines just short of the switch for the VW Terminal. Going to pickup probably 11 of the 15 soda ash hoppers there. Came there with IORY 4036/CORP 4024 and 38 cars. With 19 Bunge grain hoppers: CSYX, BNGX, FURX< AEX and a few other RM's, 2 other grainers, 4 empty steel flats, 4 box cars, 4 tanks for Bunge, 3 gons, 1 plastics hopper:PLCX and CSX ballast hopper. Will probably leave the VW Terminal with 49 cars including 11 empty FMLX soda ash hoppers. It will then roll through Van Wert enroute to Ft. Wayne. Didn't stay around to see how many soda ash hoppers they actually picked up. So, just a guess at 11 empties picked up. :)

The MOW crews never did tamp the new ballast they dropped between Middle Point and Van Wert in the country. Not even sure if they did any MOW work in Middle Point or just dropped ballast and that was it. Everything in Van Wert was worked and looks pretty good.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

10/24/11. EB FWLI at 3PM through Van Wert with CORP 4024/IORY 4036 and 46 cars. Rolling along at 35-40 mph with 15 grain/soda ash hoppers: 11 or so FMLX-soda ash hoppers from this morning's work at the VW Terminal, 10 gons, 8 loaded steel flats, 2 empty bulkhead flats, 10 box cars: CRLE, TTX, TR, MSDR and NOKL among them and 1 NOKL coil car. 8)

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Just wanted to throw in that a bunch of Central Soya hoppers sat out west of Warsaw along old 30 a lot of the summer and recently left.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

rob46580 wrote:Just wanted to throw in that a bunch of Central Soya hoppers sat out west of Warsaw along old 30 a lot of the summer and recently left.
I wonder if those was the same cars?

It would be interesting if it was.

The CF&E tracks are rusty..There hasn't been any activity since my last report on 10/19...
Larry.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

10/25/11. WB LIFW cruising through Van Wert at 11:20AM with IORY 4036/CORP 4024 and 37 cars. Among the consist were 11 empty steel flats for SDI, 11 box cars: GMRC, YKR, NOKL and TTX, 10 grainers, 3 tanks and 2 gons.

EB FWLI through Convoy, OH at 4:20PM with a change in one of the morning's units. Leading was IORY 4034/4036 with 59 cars. This was a solid Bunge train. It had 54 grain cars upfront: CSYX, FURX, BNGX, AEX and 1 NYDX hopper and 5 Bunge tanks bringing up the rear.

10/24/11. Last night LIVW came into VW around 10PM and dropped 14 grain cars at the Scott Equity including exUnion Equity grainer. The 2 units were CFE 3880/3882. Don't know if it worked the VW Terminal, but there is a good possibility since it was down to 4 soda ash hoppers yesterday after the LIFW pulled 11 cars out.

PW

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

hhey BNSF, what can you tell me about the ops east of Ft Wayne on say a Saturday?

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Beal99. Saturday if they keep running during daylight they have been running through Van Wert, OH anywhere from 10AM through 11:45AM. The CF&E/I&O are notorious for running at any given time. You could start at Ft Wayne at the CFE yard near the former IH plant then proceed towards Van Wert, OH onto Lima, OH. There is a yard near St. Route 309 off to your right in Lima if your heading east. This is where the Lima/Ft. Wayne turn originates. It is usually hit or miss and they may even not run a train on a given day. CFE seems to run most days. Train sizes can very greatly.

10/26/11. WB LIFW at 11:05AM with IORY 4036/4034 and 16 cars. Including 7 empty steel flats, 2 grainers, 2 gons, 2 tanks, 1 box, 1 coil car and 1 plastics hopper.

Heard the FWLI go through around 3:08PM this afternoon.

PW

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

Thanks man, so west in the AM, east in the afternoon?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Beal99, the yard in Lima PW mentioned is the old Conrail Cole Street yard. There's also the Decatur Secondary that splits off at Adams(just east of Ft. Wayne, between Adams Center Road and Hartzell Road) and heads down to Decatur, IN to service the large Bunge plant(ex Central Soya). This lines normal operations are a daily trip down and back Mon-Fri. They have run down there on Saturday or Sunday before, but that is on an as needed basis and is extremely rare these days. There is also the chance that there could be a grain train originating out of the elevator at Hamlet, IN(these usually run with CSX power) that could go east to Crestline; symbol for it is GRCL.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

For what this is worth(and it may be very little) the past 2 nights has seen CF&E action in Bucyrus-one was in the wee hours of Tuesday morning and the other last night around 9:30 pm..I believe the one Tuesday morning was the local the one last night a grainer.

BTW..By stepping out on my front porch I can see the CF&E tracks so,very little can slide by me..
Larry.