IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by redside20 »

I heard one of the trains to Valero blowing for Clime Road two nights ago...And I'm gonna have to do a late nighter around WCH these trains to see the night train in action.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Extra crew went north to Grove City on Wednesday night with 3887. One for CPS in Mt Sterling and 8 loaded pellet cars for Ashland Chemical. Heritage Co-op @ Derby had 5 loaded cov. hoppers of soybeans for Bunge for them to pick up.

Last Midland track project is apparently done. The Balfour Beatty crew loaded up their track equipment on Wednesday evening. The regulator left the day before. Track looks pretty rough where the ties were replaced since they didn't bother use a tamper yet..... Our tax money at work since that was part of an ORDC grant.

redside20

Another CSX train tonight north through Grove City at 18:30
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Should have been a loaded grain train. Neat old private cars on it, looks liked somebody's model train set. CSX brought down another empty ethanol train yesterday afternoon.

Balfour Beatty returned with a tamper and bigger regulator on Monday. They were just north of Wash CH last night.

WCH-T left Oakley this afternoon with a paltry 25 cars.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Steel traffic is now moving on the Logan Sub. Inbound sheets of steel on TTX bulkhead flats are transloaded at the old Anchor Hocking #2 plant spur on the former PRR tracks in Lancaster. Not sure when traffic started up. There was one empty car sitting on the spur this afternoon. There's a loaded car waiting to be spotted on the track. Steel is trucked to Bremen to a plant that sits right next to NS's WV Secondary....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Steel is trucked to Bremen to a plant that sits right next to NS's WV Secondary....
It does not seem to be a rare occuraence anymore that companies will transload from off site location rather than take direct delivery on the spur to their plant.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

midland sub wrote:Steel traffic is now moving on the Logan Sub. Inbound sheets of steel on TTX bulkhead flats are transloaded at the old Anchor Hocking #2 plant spur on the former PRR tracks in Lancaster. Not sure when traffic started up. There was one empty car sitting on the spur this afternoon. There's a loaded car waiting to be spotted on the track. Steel is trucked to Bremen to a plant that sits right next to NS's WV Secondary....

At least that's one bright spot on the I&O...so far... 8)
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

NS doesn't have a local that works that far east on the WV Secondary and isn't interested in the small amount of business to justify the cost of extending one of the Watkins locals out that far.

redside20

Midland Sub, I spotted what appeared to be two FMC hoppers at Warder Street parked on a stub ended track to what appears to be a small cement facility of some kind..BTW they demolished a warehouse type structure on Warder Street so the view lines have improved when you drive by overhead on Route 40. Also I don't know how true this is but I thought I saw something Scott Trostel posting about the Maitland-Cold Springs section being taken up..I hope this isn't true.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

There's no plans to abandon Cold Springs to Maitland. Scott was referring to the routing of the DT&I traffic via Wash CH as "virtually abandoning" that section of trackage. WESTCO is still paying for the Upper Valley Pike overpass replacement from '06 or '07. The I&O has been using it probably once a week for the past month or so. Switching almost all of the jobs bids to 4 days a week really jammed up the P&G traffic. They were building it up into 30 to 40 cars and then using a crew to run up the Dayton Dist and leaving it at Tremont.

There used to be some sort of cement or pellet place on that spur. I think they went out of business 5 or 6 years ago. FMC cars usually have fertilizer in them, might be for Heritage Co-op in Mechanicsburg.

Midland track project is complete. Balfour Beatty trucked the tamper to Lancaster or Logan Tuesday night. They did a pretty good job, track looks very good for the small amount of stone they dumped. Haven't heard how it rides.

Saw they got the 9400 back in service. Looked good seeing it and the 9500 working together in the SP paint. CFE 3887 was still out of service last I heard sitting in Wash CH. Derailed on a broken rail and damaged a traction motor.

redside20

Per reports on the Cincy group..The Brookville Sub is OOS thanks to yesterdays rain.
Exit stage left

redside20

CSX blowing for grade crossings through Grove City around noon with a loaded train from Cargill in Bloomingburg
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Grain, grain and more grain is the word of the day for the south end. Everything else other than Melvin stone has slowed down quite a bit in the past month. I think the I&O moved 10 grain trains and one loaded 80 car phosphate train for Trupointe @ South Chuck last week. Pretty neat phosphate train including a former Landmark grain car that still had it's Fayette Landmark and Washington Court House lettering.

Caught the WCH-A coming back from Springfield on Friday evening. 4071 and a paltry 7 empty P&G tanks. 9500-9400 have been paired up and are working most of the grain trains on the Midland. Springfield was using 4070-3889 this weekend.

The Blanchester Job now has a night crew. Day job continues to work the Greenfield Sub two days a week and then Blanchester to Konrad 3 days. Night crew is supposed to only handle Melvin stone traffic. Traffic has been heavy enough that the Blan Job had 2 locos last month a couple of times.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:former Landmark grain car that still had it's Fayette Landmark and Washington Court House lettering.
That would be cool to see 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Especially since Athearn is doing the car in HO. Supposed to be released in 3 numbers sometime next spring. :D
AARR wrote:
midland sub wrote:former Landmark grain car that still had it's Fayette Landmark and Washington Court House lettering.
That would be cool to see 8)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Especially since Athearn is doing the car in HO. Supposed to be released in 3 numbers sometime next spring. :D
Makes me wish I was still modeling modern era but I have too much invested in AA, 1950's, to turn back now.

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

A friend and I were out all day Tuesday and we finished up our day in the WCH area. Downtown at 4:30, we caught 9500 northbound with 6 or 7 cars, and chased it out to Konrad where it pulled into the yard. Moments later, we shot the 4070 (with another ex-SP unit, couldn't see the number) running around a cut out by Hoppes Rd. before tying up for the day right at sunset.

Also, someone mentioned the 3887. I can confirm it was still in downtown WCH Tuesday night since my friend and I shot it, and we were wondering why it was there by itself.

I don't normally spend time in this area, so could someone tell me what jobs we saw so I can label my shots as such? I'm assuming the 9500 was one of the WCH jobs, but wasn't sure if the other with 4070 was perhaps the Springfield?

Thanks.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

What kind of cars did the 9500 have? More than likely it was the WCH-A crew coming back from working the WCH ind park. That would have been the 9400 working with 4070 and more than likely the WCH-B crew.

Haven't heard when they plan on repairing the 3887. They removed the brake assembly from the front axle, but that seems to be about it so far. From where it's sitting they seem to be planning on doing something either where it sits or trying to drag it over to the old PRR spur next to Potter. Don't think the axle problem was quite in the budget.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

What kind of cars did the 9500 have? More than likely it was the WCH-A crew coming back from working the WCH ind park. That would have been the 9400 working with 4070 and more than likely the WCH-B crew.

Haven't heard when they plan on repairing the 3887. They removed the brake assembly from the front axle, but that seems to be about it so far. From where it's sitting they seem to be planning on doing something either where it sits or trying to drag it over to the old PRR spur next to Potter. Don't think the axle problem was quite in the budget.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan