IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

midland sub wrote:What kind of cars did the 9500 have? More than likely it was the WCH-A crew coming back from working the WCH ind park. That would have been the 9400 working with 4070 and more than likely the WCH-B crew.
If I remember right, it was boxcars and centerbeams.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Mark...anything on the Bluegrass Farms terminal in Jeffersonville?..When does it start up operation?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Trackwork was supposed to have been completed last week. A couple of weeks the tracks were in place and ballasted almost to St Rt 729. There was still a tamper and regulator there, but the rest of the track equipment was gone. They were still putting up the fencing around the maintenance building/office. Otherwise looked good to go. There was a paving company working on expanding the county road from the Bluegrass' bagging plant to the driveway into the terminal. Noboby seems to know anything about it, or is willing to talk about it.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="midland sub"]Trackwork was supposed to have been completed last week. A couple of weeks the tracks were in place and ballasted almost to St Rt 729. There was still a tamper and regulator there, but the rest of the track equipment was gone. They were still putting up the fencing around the maintenance building/office. Otherwise looked good to go. There was a paving company working on expanding the county road from the Bluegrass' bagging plant to the driveway into the terminal. Noboby seems to know anything about it, or is willing to talk about it.[/quote]

Be watching for new relettered IORY 9500(Ex-CEFX) to be back in WCH after getting its 92 day at McCoullugh the last few days. 9400 should be next to get "IORY" to the cab side.

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

redside20

Spotted a lone CSX loco crossing Briggs Road in SW Columbus, heading north to CP Russ on the Midland Sub around noon today.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Sounds like you saw the CSX loco the I&O borrowed last night, 269? CSX left it with an empty grain train at Haynes yesterday. The I&O borrowed it to drag it into Wash CH yesterday evening.

redside20

Spied 4071, or 4072...One of the tunnel motors at Junction Yard spotting cars while heading to class today in Springfield. I presume this is the WCH-B?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think you saw a Springfield crew working. I believe 4072-4085 dragged an empty fertilizer train from Trupointe @ South Chuck to Haynes on Saturday. 9400-4071 were sitting @ Konrad on Saturday afternoon. Didn't look like any Springfield cars out there then, and no one worked yesterday.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

In Lancaster for work today. L3 for Columbus had somewhere around 30 or so cars waiting to go Parsons. 15 empty cov hoppers from Keynes Bros in Logan on the rear. Two empty bulkhead flats from the new steel transload, which had 5 loaded cars spotted to be unloaded. Train should be on it's way to Parsons this afternoon with 5002.

Sounds like the Bluegrass Farms Logistic park is complete, but trying to come together on a deal to have a location to transload the containers from rail to barge has hit another snag. Good farmer rumor is the BGF is going to lease their two tracks to WESTCO for storage use.

redside20

Spied IORY 4082 parked and Idling at Ashland Chemical in Grove City today around noon. He had about seven tankers and five to six NAHX and MLLX hoppers along with it.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

You caught where the WCH extra job from Tuesday night tied down. I guess they dropped 40 empty ddg hoppers at Valero on the way north.

CSX doubled up an empty grain train for the I&O. First half was new CSX how tomorrow sits hoppers, second half was older private junk.

Somebody at RA must have figured out Domtar in Wash CH might be a good source of revenue. They're supposedly going to make a concentrated effort to switch them Mon-Fri. Domtar is a steady 40 inbounds a week if they try, 80 if they really tried...

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Hey guys, it's been a while, pretty much because Ohio State Football monopolizes all of my time in the Fall, but here's some pictures I've taken of the I&O from my last 2 trips to Wash CH:

On 11/18, like you guys reported, CF&E 3887 was sitting on the siding in Wash CH broke down, it was still sitting there when I was in Wash CH last week.

That same day, IORY 4085 & 4071 were switching cars in Konrad Yard, while CEFX 9400 sits on another track with a grain car.

On 12/2, IORY 4070 was sitting alone next to the office at Konrad Yard, while CF&E 3888 & CIND 5003 were building a train in the yard, most likely heading for Springfield when finished.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice pictures and report strugglin
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

12/13/11. SB I&O train at the E. Kibby St. crossing in Lima at 11:25AM. The train had 9400 upfront running solo and 81 cars. In the consist were 22 covered hoppers: CRPX, UTCX and assorted Bunge hoppers, 2 coil cars: 1 NOKL yellow hoods in gon, 18 tank cars: all tanks were PGTX except for 1 UTLX and 1 GATX and 39 gons bringing up the rear all NOKL except for 2 DJJ gons. 9400 looked to pulling for all she is worth.

Also, are the IANR box cars at the north end of the I&O yard in Lima some of the box cars that at one time were at Quincy, OH or not? I can't remember what those boxes at Quincy had for reporting marks anymore but it wasn't IANR. Just wondered if they are some of the same cars.

The CBNS 5007 was sitting at the I&O yard office in Lima.

After the 9400 left with its train headed south it left the I&O yard nearly empty.

PW

redside20

Word from another website is that the Grain Elevator at Thackery has had it sidings revamped tamped and extended so it can hold more than 15 cars. This Grain facility is huge and everytime I went by it there are never any hoppers there
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice update there from Lima. They meet the WCH-B at Springfield (prob Tremont with that big of a train) and the 9500 took the train south to Wash CH last night. They were getting their last track warrant to make to it Konrad just before 8 pm. Bunge cars came from Decatur on the CFE and are heading to Melvin on the Midland. The 2 DJJ gons should be heading to the DJJ car repair place on the CIND. Good to see a decent sized train for once.

bnsf8000 wrote:12/13/11. SB I&O train at the E. Kibby St. crossing in Lima at 11:25AM. The train had 9400 upfront running solo and 81 cars. In the consist were 22 covered hoppers: CRPX, UTCX and assorted Bunge hoppers, 2 coil cars: 1 NOKL yellow hoods in gon, 18 tank cars: all tanks were PGTX except for 1 UTLX and 1 GATX and 39 gons bringing up the rear all NOKL except for 2 DJJ gons. 9400 looked to pulling for all she is worth.

Also, are the IANR box cars at the north end of the I&O yard in Lima some of the box cars that at one time were at Quincy, OH or not? I can't remember what those boxes at Quincy had for reporting marks anymore but it wasn't IANR. Just wondered if they are some of the same cars.

The CBNS 5007 was sitting at the I&O yard office in Lima.

After the 9400 left with its train headed south it left the I&O yard nearly empty.

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CPS in Mt Sterling on the Midland is expanding their liquid fert plant. They are supposed to be working on the new loading equipment and be finished by the end of the month. Plans are to increase their inbound liquid fertilizer they receive and process it at the plant with something else and then ship the new product out by rail. Didn't hear how much more traffic this should generate.

Was in Lancaster today for work. Caught CBNS 5002 working around town. Inbound sand and soda ash business for Anchor is very steady. They had 3 boxcars for US Corrugated next to the Anchor warehouse. Looked like they pulled 4 empty boxcars from there. Neither Ohi-xide or the steel plate transload at old Anchor Plant #2 spot had any cars. The Ralston ceral plant had maybe 15 to 20 cars. Didn't see the 3888 anywhere in town. Ended going to Logan later in the afternoon. Found the 3888 sitting at the I&O engine house along with a former Chessie System 86 ft box being rehabbed for the Anchor Shuttle. There was 15 or so cov hoppers sitting on the main just north of Keynes Bros Wheat mill, so I assume the 3888 brought them down this morning to be unloaded. The GE lamp had a surprising (to me) 7 or 8 cov hoppers of silca spotted. The Smead warehouse also had a boxcar spotted. Had a chance to take a peak at the track work they did between Lancaster and Logan. Best I've ever seen that section of trackage on the Logan Sub. Actually best looking tracks on the entire Logan Sub.

I&O lucked out on Tuesday. A loaded centerbeam derailed on one of the wye tracks. It bounced across a trestle, taking out the walkway, then across a grade crossing before somehow rerailing on the switch to the old Wellston main. Very lucky the car didn't fall off the trestle like a boxcar of drywall did in Feb 2007. More importantly it didn't tip over and crush a Toyota Corolla waiting at the crossing when it rerailed itself. It supposedly took a pretty good lean in the direction of the car.... No harm, no foul as they say other than a busted switch, damaged walkway and a bunch of damaged ties.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:I&O lucked out on Tuesday. A loaded centerbeam derailed on one of the wye tracks. It bounced across a trestle, taking out the walkway, then across a grade crossing before somehow rerailing on the switch to the old Wellston main. Very lucky the car didn't fall off the trestle like a boxcar of drywall did in Feb 2007. More importantly it didn't tip over and crush a Toyota Corolla waiting at the crossing when it rerailed itself. It supposedly took a pretty good lean in the direction of the car.... No harm, no foul as they say other than a busted switch, damaged walkway and a bunch of damaged ties.
If only I had been in Wash CH to see that, wow!

redside20

There was an article in the paper about several Industrial parks around Springfield..One of the parks,"The Champion City Industrial Park" in the former IH Lagonda Lot mentions access to rail...
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/ ... 00507.html
Exit stage left

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Made my way down to Wash CH on Sunday 12/18, IORY 9500 & CIND 5003 were in Konrad Yard on a quiet day.