Fostoria cam.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Fostoria cam.

Unread post by GP-35 »

Does anyone know what happened to the Fostoria OH. live video cam. it is allwayes off the air. Thank You.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Fostoria cam.

Unread post by ~Z~ »

It's been posted about a few times, but the cam is operational in Fostoria at http://railstream.org/

They have a pay for use site now, so you need to pony up cash to view the cam in Fostoria.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I'll pass on it. :)
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big Frank »

Who in the hell would pay to watch a cam feed of fostoria or any train location for that fact seriously
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Big Frank wrote:Who in the hell would pay to watch a cam feed of fostoria or any train location for that fact seriously
IMO watching an endless parade of CSX and NS trains gets old in an hour.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Big Frank wrote:Who in the hell would pay to watch a cam feed of fostoria or any train location for that fact seriously
IMO watching an endless parade of CSX and NS trains gets old in an hour.
It get old in an hour when Im standing track side let alone at home where i could do anything I want beside bore myself to death

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

I don't know I enjoy it a lot even more so when its cold with 5 or more inches of snow on the ground with a stiff North wind..Gives me something to watch while I'm modeling.

Now paying to be a member of a railroad,model railroad forum or a do nothing model railroad club..I don't think so.
Larry.

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark Rummel »

Wow, $10 per month (or $100 a year) is pretty steep, I think.

I used to enjoy watching the Fostoria cam, and I would probably be willing to pay maybe $20 or $25 a year, but not $10 a month.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

Mark Rummel wrote:Wow, $10 per month (or $100 a year) is pretty steep, I think.

I used to enjoy watching the Fostoria cam, and I would probably be willing to pay maybe $20 or $25 a year, but not $10 a month.
I use to pay $10.00/mo in a do nothing HO club-unless you like to talk about everything except trains or modeling.You couldn't run trains because they kept tearing things out..

One thing good you can cancell the $10.00 any time-just like quitting a club.

As of now I am enjoying the Fostoria cams and should I become bored I'll quit..
Larry.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Someone has to pay for it. You can always set up your own cam feed and stream it for free to all of us. It's amazing how when someone does something, everyone expects it all to be free. Don't pay then. It's simple. Btw, this website isn't free either, yet SOMEONE has to pay for it.
Brett

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Brakie wrote:I don't know I enjoy it a lot even more so when its cold with 5 or more inches of snow on the ground with a stiff North wind..Gives me something to watch while I'm modeling.

Now paying to be a member of a railroad,model railroad forum or a do nothing model railroad club..I don't think so.
that makes sense brakie i never thought about that some thing to do at your work bench cool

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

bdconrail29 wrote:Someone has to pay for it. You can always set up your own cam feed and stream it for free to all of us. It's amazing how when someone does something, everyone expects it all to be free. Don't pay then. It's simple. Btw, this website isn't free either, yet SOMEONE has to pay for it.
I can't speak for alot of others, but I have been in conversations with many people on this board about this. I know I would have been willing to donate to help support this wonderful idea. I even was al set to make donations as soon as it was to be set up. But, I had taken offense to the "admins" on the chat portion of the website shortly after it was launched. I never returned after that. I didn't do anything wrong or was warned on anything. But, I seen way too much "power hungry" admining. From conversations, several others also share this feeling. Once you sour someone on your service, it almost next to impossible to win them back, especially in this instant gratification era we are living in. The moth fee is slightly high in my opinion. Instead of getting 50 people paying $10 a month, I would rather have 200 people paying $5. As with any service, you shouldn't expect to make ends meet right out of the gates. If you price to do so, you will not make it long, that is basic business practice.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

AC60CW wrote:I can't speak for alot of others, but I have been in conversations with many people on this board about this. I know I would have been willing to donate to help support this wonderful idea. I even was al set to make donations as soon as it was to be set up. But, I had taken offense to the "admins" on the chat portion of the website shortly after it was launched. I never returned after that. I didn't do anything wrong or was warned on anything. But, I seen way too much "power hungry" admining. From conversations, several others also share this feeling. Once you sour someone on your service, it almost next to impossible to win them back, especially in this instant gratification era we are living in. The moth fee is slightly high in my opinion. Instead of getting 50 people paying $10 a month, I would rather have 200 people paying $5. As with any service, you shouldn't expect to make ends meet right out of the gates. If you price to do so, you will not make it long, that is basic business practice.
I completely agree, AC60CW. The issue here is much more than "Am I willing to pay to watch trains on my computer?" I would have been more than willing to donate to the cam site back when it was free, but the behavior by most of the admins on there compelled me not to. Now am I claiming that I know how to run a website better than them? No. But since it's my money that may be supporting means that I don't agree with I am going to spend my money otherwise.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Back when I watched Fostoria Cam I would hide the chat board. It moved too fast for my poor old eyes :oops: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

Big Frank wrote:
Brakie wrote:I don't know I enjoy it a lot even more so when its cold with 5 or more inches of snow on the ground with a stiff North wind..Gives me something to watch while I'm modeling.

that makes sense brakie i never thought about that some thing to do at your work bench cool
Allow me to add another reason.

With my on going health issues I don't get around like I use to and Fostoria was always one of my favorite "hot spots" and now I can "go" there as often as I like during the day and spend some time talking and watching trains.

Again should I become bored or no longer interested I'll pull the pin and cancel my membership..I could watch Cresson free but,I'm not a fan of Cresson.
Larry.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

cbehr91 wrote:
AC60CW wrote:I can't speak for alot of others, but I have been in conversations with many people on this board about this. I know I would have been willing to donate to help support this wonderful idea. I even was al set to make donations as soon as it was to be set up. But, I had taken offense to the "admins" on the chat portion of the website shortly after it was launched. I never returned after that. I didn't do anything wrong or was warned on anything. But, I seen way too much "power hungry" admining. From conversations, several others also share this feeling. Once you sour someone on your service, it almost next to impossible to win them back, especially in this instant gratification era we are living in. The moth fee is slightly high in my opinion. Instead of getting 50 people paying $10 a month, I would rather have 200 people paying $5. As with any service, you shouldn't expect to make ends meet right out of the gates. If you price to do so, you will not make it long, that is basic business practice.
I completely agree, AC60CW. The issue here is much more than "Am I willing to pay to watch trains on my computer?" I would have been more than willing to donate to the cam site back when it was free, but the behavior by most of the admins on there compelled me not to. Now am I claiming that I know how to run a website better than them? No. But since it's my money that may be supporting means that I don't agree with I am going to spend my money otherwise.
I don't know what the problem was and don't care since its none of my business however,I don't like a lot of drama or senseless arguing..Goodness knows I see a lot of that on some model railroad forums and would cancel my membership if that site became a hotbox for arguing and drama.
Larry.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

It wasn't drama on the chat window. If if someone used CAPS...they got kicked...if there was a comment about stuff like politics or religion (even if was just in passing) they would get kicked. If a person said a curse word, they got kicked. Numerous times people got banned for the offenses. You have to have it moderated, and under some control. But not to the point where almost anything is against the "rules". This is only from my experiences that I had while on the site back in the early days. I have to admit, I did enjoy watching. I play World of Warcraft, I also have two monitors. So, I would be playing my game on my main monitor, and watching trains on the second. Now, I don't know how things work now on the site. They may very well be completely changed and super great. But, I am not willing to drop even $10 to find out. Offer me a two or four week free trial or something, then maybe. But, I am too soured from my initial experience to even risk a messily $10.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

On top of that, our own Zackmaster briefly was a moderator on there and when he was online he basically let the group self-moderate itself. When he didn't meet his quota for banning people for stupid crap he had his admin rights stripped and was told by the other admins that he didn't know how to run a message board, in public, in full view of everybody who was signed into the cam site at that time.

It was the general "internet bully" attitude of most of the admins on there that made me decide not to help them out and donate, something I'll gladly do for this site. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

cbehr91 wrote:On top of that, our own Zackmaster briefly was a moderator on there and when he was online he basically let the group self-moderate itself. When he didn't meet his quota for banning people for stupid crap he had his admin rights stripped and was told by the other admins that he didn't know how to run a message board, in public, in full view of everybody who was signed into the cam site at that time.

It was the general "internet bully" attitude of most of the admins on there that made me decide not to help them out and donate, something I'll gladly do for this site. :)
Ditto!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

cbehr91 wrote:On top of that, our own Zackmaster briefly was a moderator on there and when he was online he basically let the group self-moderate itself. When he didn't meet his quota for banning people for stupid crap he had his admin rights stripped and was told by the other admins that he didn't know how to run a message board, in public, in full view of everybody who was signed into the cam site at that time.
If I heard this from someone else I would not believe it. I may be wrong but it sounds like its run by a bunch of young kids.