Greenwich

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Greenwich

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Are there any good places to sit and watch the trains there?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: Greenwich

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Yes, there is a pull off on the East side of Kniffen Street on the East side of the Diamond, don't venture West of the Street. CSX is very friendly here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Greenwich ... o&t=h&z=18

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

As Brent said, pull off Kniffen St. in the stone parking lot to the EAST of the diamond. CSX generally doesn't care if you stand anywhere and watch the trains. Anyways, what I wanted to add was that you won't be disappointed in the traffic. I'd say 4 per hour average in 24 hours. Let us know when you go.
Brett

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29 wrote:As Brent said, pull off Kniffen St. in the stone parking lot to the EAST of the diamond. CSX generally doesn't care if you stand anywhere and watch the trains. Anyways, what I wanted to add was that you won't be disappointed in the traffic. I'd say 4 per hour average in 24 hours. Let us know when you go.

I am thinking about heading out in a few hours since I live in Dayton. I looked on that map link, is it just north of the tracks where there appears to be a car parked?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:As Brent said, pull off Kniffen St. in the stone parking lot to the EAST of the diamond. CSX generally doesn't care if you stand anywhere and watch the trains. Anyways, what I wanted to add was that you won't be disappointed in the traffic. I'd say 4 per hour average in 24 hours. Let us know when you go.

I am thinking about heading out in a few hours since I live in Dayton. I looked on that map link, is it just north of the tracks where there appears to be a car parked?

Yep, looks to be at least one railfan vehicle in that shot.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Keep in mind traffic will not be representative on Monday and Tuesday of this week, as due to lack of business shipping, the two business days after major holidays are a bit slower. Still should do fine.
Brett

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29 wrote:Keep in mind traffic will not be representative on Monday and Tuesday of this week, as due to lack of business shipping, the two business days after major holidays are a bit slower. Still should do fine.
Ya, It is mainly called get away from the parents! If I saw 15 I would be happy! Any good places to eat up that way?

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Eating part is tough. There is a small sandwich shop and an East of Chicago in Greenwich. Otherwise, you'd have to go to Willard (which has a lot more) or New London which has a McDonald's. Willard is about 12 miles west.
Brett

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29 wrote:Eating part is tough. There is a small sandwich shop and an East of Chicago in Greenwich. Otherwise, you'd have to go to Willard (which has a lot more) or New London which has a McDonald's. Willard is about 12 miles west.
Ok. I think I am wakin about around 4:30 AM to head up. Any other good places to watch trains in that area?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Attica is about 20 miles West and is where the CSX Willard Sub crosses the NS Sandusky District, there is the yard in Willard, only the ends of which are viewable. Greenwich is more then enough though IMO, a really great place.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:Attica is about 20 miles West and is where the CSX Willard Sub crosses the NS Sandusky District, there is the yard in Willard, only the ends of which are viewable. Greenwich is more then enough though IMO, a really great place.
I know about Attica. My grandma used to live in New Regiel so I am semi familiar with Seneca County. I think I might head southwest towards Louisville because there is no snow that way!