Is it safe? - Marion OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Is it safe? - Marion OH

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I am very interested in railfanning in Marion, and was wondering if it is a relatively safe city, or if it's a bit like Fostoria?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Is it safe?

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I have done overnight at Marion with a small group 10~ people last summer and never had a problem. RailOhio I know does there quite a bit as well a B-Town. But, I have never been alone.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Marion is perfectly safe.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

atrainguy60 wrote:I am very interested in railfanning in Marion, and was wondering if it is a relatively safe city, or if it's a bit like Fostoria?
My sister and I go to Marion alot over night in the summer and the only interaction with police was them asking if we saw a guy running from them. Other then that it is perfectly safe! Another place I found the other day is Arcadia Junction about 40 miles north of Marion on Route 4.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Thanks! I gonna have to check it out sometime, it looks like a cool place to watch trains.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Another place I found the other day is Arcadia Junction about 40 miles north of Marion on Route 4.
Arcadia is west of Fostoria. Attica Junction is north of Marion.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

For what it's worth, Fostoria is perfectly safe as well.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

railohio wrote:
Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:Another place I found the other day is Arcadia Junction about 40 miles north of Marion on Route 4.
Arcadia is west of Fostoria. Attica Junction is north of Marion.
Brain fart. I meant Attica. Thank you for noticing!

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Marion is pefectly safe, and I would say Fostoria is also safe, but not as safe as Marion, if that makes sense.

Attica is also perfectly safe, mainly because its in the middle of nowhere, there is literally a tree and a cell phone tower there and that's it, the town is like a mile south down Route 4.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

I guess I was a little quick to judge Fostoria. I was only their once, and I was only their briefly. I just figured it wasn't the safest because it looked a little run down.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

atrainguy60 wrote:I guess I was a little quick to judge Fostoria. I was only their once, and I was only their briefly. I just figured it wasn't the safest because it looked a little run down.
Personally I do not go to Fostoria after dark.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Fostoria is fine, any rumors otherwise are vastly overblown.

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

I've spent the night (many of times) in Marion without any problems. Now Fostoria, that could be a crap shoot. Sometimes its good and other times not. So, watch your back in Fostoria if you decide to take a nap in between trains. :wink:
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

ClWOH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ClWOH »

MagnumForce wrote:For what it's worth, Fostoria is perfectly safe as well.
Thank you for your support. I live in Fostoria. Like any town, we have our problems, but we're working on them. Some Fostorians are slower to acknowledge what Railfans bring to the area, but there's no denying the draw when someone travels down Main St. and sees 8-10 or more Railfans set up by the old B&O Depot waiting for that next train.

Thanks for coming!

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

Marion has its bad areas but,the station is fairly safe..I say fairly safe because I always keep alert and mindful of city dangers-including potential trouble from intoxicated customer of the Shovel Inn.

As far as Attica Jct be mindful there isn't a escape route in the event of a derailment or protruding load.

Fostoria like Marion has it dangers-it is a city.

Use your street smarts and you will do fine.
Larry.

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Just to let you all know I would watch going to attica. jct. Someone I know was thire last summer and someone called the seneca county sheriff on him and he was told not to be back by the seneca county sheriffs office thire and if he comes back he would be give a citation and or jail time. The sheriff told him the railroads does not want anyone out thire at all.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Q109 wrote:Just to let you all know I would watch going to attica. jct. Someone I know was thire last summer and someone called the seneca county sheriff on him and he was told not to be back by the seneca county sheriffs office thire and if he comes back he would be give a citation and or jail time. The sheriff told him the railroads does not want anyone out thire at all.
I was there on the 8th. Had two hi-railers plus numerous trains go through without a single word.

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:
CSX Q109 wrote:Just to let you all know I would watch going to attica. jct. Someone I know was thire last summer and someone called the seneca county sheriff on him and he was told not to be back by the seneca county sheriffs office thire and if he comes back he would be give a citation and or jail time. The sheriff told him the railroads does not want anyone out thire at all.
I was there on the 8th. Had two hi-railers plus numerous trains go through without a single word.
Wow know that makes me wonder. My freind was doing nothing wrong but watching trains when someone called on him. I'am just letting you guys on here know what happen to him. I guess go at your own risk if you wish but do watch out out thire. Hes been going thire too for many years up till this happen to him. He said he may try to go back this summer but hes not sure.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Ninety nine percent of the M&W people will not say anything unless you are on the tracks. The upper management people will be the first person to say something to you.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

I can believe that since that happen to me and two others.The OSP trooper told us that neither the CSX or NS wanted (his words) "train watchers" in this area and basically "nothing here to see move along".
Larry.