Is it safe? - Marion OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Is it safe?

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX Q109 wrote: Wow know that makes me wonder. My freind was doing nothing wrong but watching trains when someone called on him. I'am just letting you guys on here know what happen to him. I guess go at your own risk if you wish but do watch out out thire. Hes been going thire too for many years up till this happen to him. He said he may try to go back this summer but hes not sure.
Considering the entire junction lies on railroad property, with signs indicating as such, and that it lies on a State Route, I'm surprised that there aren't more railfan run-ins with either railroad police or the county sheriff. Just because he was 'simply there watching trains' doesn't mean a thing - he was still trespassing. Yeah, I've seen a couple trains from near the tree stump there and didn't have them report me, but like JoJames said, crews generally don't bother calling people in unless they're up to no good because it's going to waste somebody's time.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

cbehr91 wrote:
CSX Q109 wrote: Wow know that makes me wonder. My freind was doing nothing wrong but watching trains when someone called on him. I'am just letting you guys on here know what happen to him. I guess go at your own risk if you wish but do watch out out thire. Hes been going thire too for many years up till this happen to him. He said he may try to go back this summer but hes not sure.
Considering the entire junction lies on railroad property, with signs indicating as such, and that it lies on a State Route, I'm surprised that there aren't more railfan run-ins with either railroad police or the county sheriff. Just because he was 'simply there watching trains' doesn't mean a thing - he was still trespassing. Yeah, I've seen a couple trains from near the tree stump there and didn't have them report me, but like JoJames said, crews generally don't bother calling people in unless they're up to no good because it's going to waste somebody's time.
Attica's not really good as a 'sit & watch' spot because there's no safe, legal spot to 'sit & watch' (as has been pointed out). It's not bad for being in the general area for photography and moving around to shoot trains but it's still a good idea to park somewhere "legal" if you're going to be in the area for any length of time.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Is it safe? - Marion OH

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

That's usually what I do unless theres a train station like Durand or a park. I normally just drive around the area I'm railfanning in.

t.winx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by t.winx »

MagnumForce wrote:Fostoria is fine, any rumors otherwise are vastly overblown.
That's what I thought too until I got mugged by 2 guys there in Nov 2010. I was threatened at gun point, got my phone stolen, and received a massive blow to the face, all of that in the middle of the day right off Columbus Ave. I was alone, and admittedly napping before this took place, but if your trying to stay up all in the car night you too run the risk of falling asleep.

Expect the unexpected, in Marion or any other town for that matter. I've spent the night in Marion and remember feeling safe but that was before the Fostoria mugging. Now everywhere I stay I am prepared. Keep your distance, be alert, keep your doors locked and your windows up and you'll be fine (until they just shoot you through the window :twisted: ).

I'd still rate Fostoria less safe than Marion. How could I not? I havn't made it back there since the incident. Perhaps I'm a little scared the bullies will remember the skinny railfan that called them 'stupid little kids needing to grow up' as they escaped with my flip phone. lol
Tyler

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

Tyler,One can get mugged anywhere that's why I said one should use his street smarts-you looked like a sleepy victim and the bad guys saw there chance and pounced like the cowards they are..

Now if you look like I do people will give you a wide margine..

I been to Fostoria several times and never had a problem.
Larry.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I hope you filed a report with the Police.

B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Unread post by B-Town »

Just stay around the station in Marion at night. I wouldn't recomend going to Silver Street by yourself at night, but I usually carry a .44 Magnum on my belt, so I should be safe there...LOL! :roll: