Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

On an as needed basis. East of Lima there is very little online traffic. An occasional grain train plys the line, but that's about it. I believe they run between 10-25 mph on that portion except between Bucyrus and Crestline where NS runs trains.

PW

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Someone caught them in Upper Sandusky recently..
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =1&theater
Exit stage left

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

CFE's newest engine is at the north end of CSX Lima yard by the old state pen. It is South Carolina Central 6415 in all it's GT glory.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/17/12. WB LIFW through Van Wert at 12:25PM. In the lead were CFE 505/IORY 4034/4032 and around 90 cars. Upfront were 7 box cars, 10 coil cars: IHB and NOKL, a few tank cars and very heavy on grain that pretty much made up the rest: NOKL, MWCX, AEX, CSYX BNGX and FURX. Looked like the same grain cars that were at the I&O Lima yard last night.

MOW crew is working down by the Scott Equity elevator again today.

Probably about 10 grain cars at the elevator.

About 12-15 soda ash hoppers at the Van Wert Terminal LLC.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/18/12. EB CF&E train FWLI in Van Wert at 3:35PM. THe VW city police had to help flag US 127/N. Washington St. in town. Train had to to stop at a few crossings in town and then proceed. Been having crossing signal problems this past week. The train was led by IORY 4034/CFE 505 and hauling 56 cars. The train had 23 grain cars: CSYX, BNGX, AEX, FURX, MWCX and FMLX, 15 box cars: TTX and several others, 7 loaded gons, 5 loaded steel flats, 2 tank cars used by Bunge, 2 plastics hoppers: PLCXand ACFX and 1 IHB coil car. Once they stopped and proceeded at the few crossings they rolled right back to close to track speed.

Had a WB yesterday see above post and a Sunday EB. Highly unusual moves for recently. Nice to see anyhow. Probably when they had fresh crews.

Finally got a good look at CFE 505 and the CFE in the hurricane is new most likely vinyl lettering and not reused.

PW

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Love your reportsbnsf! Have you considered pictures or videos?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/20/12. WB LIFW at 10:21PM with IORY 4036 and 16 cars. Had 10 grain cars: FMLX, BN, AGP, ALDX?, a few others, 5 loaded gons and 1 tank car for Bunge.

Scott Equity Exchange elevator in Van Wert has 20 grain cars there: NOKL, HMBX, IAHX, Cargills', MWCX and a few others.

A couple of days ago IORY 4036 came into town as LIVW and worked CSP and at the Scott Eqity elevator.

PW

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ribbon Rail »

bnsf8000 wrote:CFE's newest engine is at the north end of CSX Lima yard by the old state pen. It is South Carolina Central 6415 in all it's GT glory.

PW
GT is an understatement. While sitting in CSX Lima yard, this unit is actually not far from home. She was built as DT&I #415. Ol’ Hank would be proud, let’s get her dressed up in orange with a star of honor!

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Just west of Ada, OH today I saw a Eastbound grain train with CSX power (CSXT 7597,CSXT 7874) about 11:25 am. Then about 12:45 pm I saw a Eastbound local with a I&O engine leading a former FEC locomotive, they had one grain car in tow and stopped and left it at the elevator(drove by after the fact and saw the hopper that went by me had been dropped off), not sure if there were any cars in there they could of left with, but I could hear them continue east after they had stopped. It was good to see a couple trains down there.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/27/12. HUGE EB FWLI. Leading were CORP 4024/IORY 4036/4032 with 179 cars. In the consist were 110 IANR and GNRR box cars. Maybe for storage? 67 IANR and 43 GNRR box cars, 30 grain cars: NOKL, FURX, CSYX, BNGX, AEX BNSF and DJTX, 14 tank cars BRCX, DBUX, ULTX and GATX, 12 loaded steel flats: LRS, TTX and 8 PTTX, 11 gons and 1 IHB coil car and 1 CN box car. Huge!

3/21/12. WB LIFW with IORY 4036/4034 and 56 cars. Including a CSX 26 unit empty welded rail train, 18 grain cars: NOKL< CSYX, BNGX and AEX, 4 tank cars for Bunge, 4 gons 3 empty steel flats and 1 coil car.

3/25/12. Drove past the new CF&E shop and Office building. Nice. That I could see there was on the west end of the shop TP&W 4056 and the NREX 6 axle unit and CFE 3880. Quite a few cars in the yard.

Around 8 soda ash hoppers at the Van Wert Terminal .

Also, a LIVW was in Van Wert to do some work and ran out to CSP on the southside of town. Picked up grain loads and took them back to as VWLI. There are 4 ACFX plastics for CSP at the Scott Equity elevator.

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Sounds like those SLGG boxcars the I&O had in storage a couple of years ago. I know they were remarking them with IANR reporting marks when they left the I&O.

Must be nice to have the matching set of I&O red-orange locos....

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bnsf8000 wrote:3/27/12. HUGE EB FWLI. Leading were CORP 4024/IORY 4036/4032 with 179 cars. In the consist were 110 IANR and GNRR box cars. Maybe for storage? 67 IANR and 43 GNRR box cars, 30 grain cars: NOKL, FURX, CSYX, BNGX, AEX BNSF and DJTX, 14 tank cars BRCX, DBUX, ULTX and GATX, 12 loaded steel flats: LRS, TTX and 8 PTTX, 11 gons and 1 IHB coil car and 1 CN box car. Huge!
What is their track speed in that area? 25mph or so? Is it jointed rail? That would awesome to watch! I'll have to see if someone video'd it and put it on youtube (you never know) :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

AARR, it is welded rail through Van Wert and ouside of town both directions jointed rail. Out in the country before they slow ordered it they did some serious rockin' and rollin'. Even saw a CSX grain at 10 mph and the 3 locos were were rockin' side to side all 18 axles of them. Now since they did some MOW work it's not as bad. But, CF&E still only goes no more than 25 mph east of town. Through VW at times they have to be going 35-40 mph since the MOW work of the last 2 years. I'd just got home and stepped outside to get the mail and i heard them blowing the horns through town. They were only going 20-25 mph today with that train. About shooting pictures/video maybe someday. Too much to do too little time.

Midland, yes it is nice to have matched sets of IORY power every once in awhile. Love that scheme!

Also, one of my railfanning buds Chuck's neighbor saw the new CF&E unit 6415 ex South Carolina Central/GT/DT&I through Van Wert last week on a train. I haven't seen it since I spotted at the CSX yard in Lima at the north end. Wasn't there a few days later.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/29/12. EB FWLI at 10:40AM. Leading the CFE train were CSX 5446/7705 with 87 cars. Train had 56 grain cars: NOKL, FMLX, AEX, CSYX, FURX, BNGX, 13 loaded steel flats: LRS, TTX and SSW, 11 loaded gons, 5 box cars all TTX and 2 plastics hoppers. Train stopped and proceeded when it was close to Wall St. Maybe they're still having crossing signals problems.

3/28/12. WB grain train at 4:20PM with CSX power 2 units and all CSX grain cars. Most of the grain cars were the new logo and several more were CSX Grain Express. Rolling right through Van Wert. Don't know if these were the same units as on today's train 3/29.

My friend Bill said CF&E took out 10 plastics hoppers to Continental Structural Plastics late last week. CSP needed the cars because they had been trucking in their supply. Way more costly for them. CSP greatly prefers to use CF&E, but needs much better service from CF&E.

Also, Scott Equity Exchange elevator in town has been using rail frequently again. The problem is CF&E can't get the grain cars soon enough. Manager wants more cars NOW! PRONTO! Come on CF&E these customers need better service. They want to use rail service. :cry:

They CF&E/Atlas are putting in the new equipment box on S. Shannon St./ST. Rt 118 and have the signals and associated equipment in a blue 40' container on site. Crossing signals with gates for the old CN spur that sees 2-3 movements per week. State required.

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Can you guys update here. I know the PRR lights at Dunkirk and Delphos are gone, but what about Estry (Van Wert)? I haven't been over there since 2001, when they were still in. Thanks.
Brett

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29, yes the PRR signals are still at Estry. Hopefully, they'll be there a long time. :D

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

^^^^^

Those were sharp IORY units. I believe they were of BN abd CSX heritage.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Scott Equity can always lease their own cars and then there will be less of an issue....there's probably a good 50 to 60 or more former Verasun Trinity 286 cov. hoppers in storage on the I&O at the moment that were in ddg service. I believe a good chunk, if not all of that grain traffic from Scott Equity at the moment is corn for Valero on the Midland or the ethanol plant in Lima. Cargill and the I&O are providing cars for those shuttles. Figure at least 6 crews touch those cars going from Van Wert to Valero. Valero can be a giant cluster #@$% with their track arrangement. Look at any of the satellite views of the plant and you can see real quickly they get jammed up. Between the two it takes time to move those cars back and forth.

AARR the 6 I&O GP40s in the red/orange scheme are all former CSX locos. Indeed the other GP40s were former BN locos at one point and originally B&O. Except the two on the TP&W/CERA are former UP from the MNA....confused yet?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:AARR the 6 I&O GP40s in the red/orange scheme are all former CSX locos. Indeed the other GP40s were former BN locos at one point and originally B&O. Except the two on the TP&W/CERA are former UP from the MNA....confused yet?
Yes :lol: So the ex-BN units are still in Green/Black?