Galetea Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Galetea Ohio

Unread post by CF&E East »

Thanks for checking into that. I haven't been home all day(saw a nice CSX powered westbound grain train near Ada today on the CF&E though), anybody seen or heard any more of the new trains on the branch today?
JoJames wrote:Q131 around Findlay at 2:30 AM today. Q146 got to Columbus does not show operating at Fostoria or on Toledo branch so i would say you may have saw it southbound in Findlay as it did not operate via Fostoria.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CF&E East wrote:Thanks for checking into that. I haven't been home all day(saw a nice CSX powered westbound grain train near Ada today on the CF&E though), anybody seen or heard any more of the new trains on the branch today?
JoJames wrote:Q131 around Findlay at 2:30 AM today. Q146 got to Columbus does not show operating at Fostoria or on Toledo branch so i would say you may have saw it southbound in Findlay as it did not operate via Fostoria.

Q146-17 and Q147-17 both operated overnight via the new connection. Also add Q246-17

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

First chance for a daylight move around the transfer this morning. Q-267-20 was sent to Fostoria sounded like no piolet on duty.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

130 135 136 139 will run on the Toledo branch subject to crew availiability due to rail gang on former C&O near Columbus and tie unit on the B&O east of Galetea. Also sounds like July first stage five will take effect at North Baltimore with daily train count going from 20 to 32.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

136 might be a daylight run then, since it seems to leave North Baltimore in the mid-to-late afternoon. Everything else is at night although every so often 135 will be late and be between Columbus and Fostoria in the morning.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

It appears that 136 and 130 both used the new connection at Galetea Wednesday afternoon and evening.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Here we go Q106 and Q107 will operate Rose Lake to North Baltimore and back to Marion. Starting July 29 for Q106 arriving at North Baltimore at 0545 and departing North Baltimore for Marion at 1300. Starting July 31 for Q107 departing Marion at 0300 and arrive North Baltimore 0800 depart for Indy at 1430.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Two unusual trains used the new transfer on July 21.

K859-21 heading for Chicago and the Saturday running of S160-22 for Columbus.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Oh how I'm missing my old place in Findlay, only been gone 21 days. I could see the trains on the branch from 3 rooms in the house. Anyhow what kind of train was that K train, and where did it originate? TIA
JoJames wrote:Two unusual trains used the new transfer on July 21.

K859-21 heading for Chicago and the Saturday running of S160-22 for Columbus.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Update the North Baltimore to Marion routing of 106 and 107 will operate via Fostoria till new transfer is complete. August first of next year is the latest completion date for new transfer at Ridgeway.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

JoJames wrote:Update the North Baltimore to Marion routing of 106 and 107 will operate via Fostoria till new transfer is complete. August first of next year is the latest completion date for new transfer at Ridgeway.
Wow, not exactly jumping right on getting that done, are they? If they're going via Marion-Fostoria they almost might as well make the Marion traffic just a set off / pick up and have a local take it over (or is that more or less what they'll end up doing?)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JoJames wrote:Update the North Baltimore to Marion routing of 106 and 107 will operate via Fostoria till new transfer is complete. August first of next year is the latest completion date for new transfer at Ridgeway.
Seeing as how Marion is going to be loading traffic out of Columbus, why not just keep the current Q106/107 routing and assigned crews, and then have a job run the N. Baltimore traffic back and forth? Its going to take 8 hrs for the containers for Marion to go between Ridgeway, and the ramp now. I mean, Q106/107 are working great the way they are, resist the urge to mess with them?

Practice Safe CSX

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Sounds like signals are dragging there feet for the new ptc. Train will be run around in Marion yard. The Indy to North Baltimore portion will use the Toledo branch.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

JoJames wrote:Here we go Q106 and Q107 will operate Rose Lake to North Baltimore and back to Marion. Starting July 29 for Q106 arriving at North Baltimore at 0545 and departing North Baltimore for Marion at 1300. Starting July 31 for Q107 departing Marion at 0300 and arrive North Baltimore 0800 depart for Indy at 1430.
Good to know. Thanks for posting.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Delayed the Q106-29 almost 8 hrs at N. Baltimore to move 3 cars between there and Marion on the train. Nothing from St. Louis to N Baltimore on Q106-30 yesterday either.

I really can't believe they are using two crews, a run-around at North Baltimore and Marion both directions, etc to move just a couple cars between the two points. Why not bring back the 'Ridgeway Shuffle'? Run a 'local' down from N. Baltimore, and shuffle the block. Q106 and Q107 are usually though Ridgeway only a couple of hours apart, so a local could conceivably make a 'turn' between N. Baltimore Ridgeway and back.

There has to be a better way to do it than running that train 100 miles out of the way, etc.

Hopefully it is only temporary, and if traffic grows they'll put on a dedicated train.

Practice Safe CSX

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

i find it odd that CSX would need three intermodal ramps in the hundred mile stretch from North Baltimore to Columbus.

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

So the routing will be through Fostoria?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Ohiorailfan wrote:So the routing will be through Fostoria?
Until another connection opens at Ridgeway next year, yes.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

chriiis wrote:i find it odd that CSX would need three intermodal ramps in the hundred mile stretch from North Baltimore to Columbus.
Marion has, up to this point, been a dedicated Schneider Trucking ramp. Rare if anything else gets ramped there. As of August 1st, they're shifting the domestic 53' traffic from Columbus TV to Marion while they do work at Columbus (or that is my understanding). Columbus serves the large distribution industry that is set up there. North Baltimore is to serve that part of the country, and serve as a block swapping/mixing center for east west traffic. Three ramps, 3 totally different jobs.

Practice Safe CSX
Last edited by CSX_CO on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ohiorailfan »

Great, and that's for Q107 as well?