Cincy rails?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Cincy rails?

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Heading to the Cincinnati area over this upcoming weekend. Any suggestions for rail activity in the area?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Cincy rails?

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Check this website. It has all the information you will ever need and then some.

http://www.cincyrails.com/

I would ask this, however, are you going to sit-and-watch, or are you planning on doing some photography? Hamilton (which is actually outside the outerbelt) is probably the best sit-and-watch place in the Cincinnati area. Glendale, a little bit to the south, is a great atmosphere, and is pretty good for photography, and still has plenty of trains (most of which are northbounds though). There is a lot more I could go into, but do yourself a favor and check out CincyRails. :)
Last edited by cbehr91 on Mon May 21, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Just like Cbehr said. Check the site out. Hamilton and Glendale are both nice. If you want to head south a few miles into Kentucky, Erlanger is a nice spot, not the best for photography but a neat place.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

If you happen to have the September 2002 issue of Trains magazine, they did a really nice spread on railfanning the Cincinnati area.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I would recommend Hamilton if you don't wanna go into Cincy, but Tower A is on my list of places to see.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

TrainWatcher wrote:I would recommend Hamilton if you don't wanna go into Cincy, but Tower A is on my list of places to see.
James, don't forget about,the Dupps Branch lol.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Huelsy'sTrainBlog wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:I would recommend Hamilton if you don't wanna go into Cincy, but Tower A is on my list of places to see.
James, don't forget about,the Dupps Branch lol.
You and everyone else down there keeps going on about the dang nabbed Dupps Branch :roll: .... Just for an FYI, its a 5~ mile spur that runs off the CSX at New Carlisle, and runs to Germantown, OH. It was originally a section of the Cincy Northern and has 1 rather impressive Warren Truss Bridge as well as a plate deck girder bridge out near Germantown. The railroad sends parts, usually a GE 25 tonner and 1 or 2 heavy duty flatcars out to New Carlisle for CSX to pick up. While I was living in the Dayton area I really wanted to catch the shortline as the ROW is in very good condition and very visible all the way to Germantown for the amount of traffic it sees, which seems to be as needed.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Your just upset you never saw it James lol

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ehhh, more agitated that everytime I'd go to see them they'd run the next day or while I was at work.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

I Hate when that happens. Did you ever make,it down to Cincy when you lived hete