NKP 765 Toledo Run

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

NKP 765 Toledo Run

Unread post by Racer »

I was looking at the information about the NKP 765 run from Homestead to Airline in Toledo. I am not familiar with that area of Toledo that the train will be operating on. Is the route fairly easy to photograph the train and are the neighborhoods alright? Also, where exactly in Homestead is the train going to begin?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NKP 765 Toledo Run

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://www.railsandtrails.com/Maps/Tole ... 44-100.jpg
Homestead is at approximately the 3 o'clock position on the map while Airline is near the 9 o'clock position. Train would take the Toledo Belt (marked in green on the map) down to the NS main at CP286 (NYC on the map) over the Maumee River, past the Amtrak Station and into Airline. Scenery is obviously urban once past Homestead, as for the "safety" of the neighborhoods - that's subjective, on the one hand most of the route is on the East Side - which is different than the NS main west of say Holland OH, but is it awful - probably not. Given the routing, my guess is that it's going to be difficult to get more than one shot regardless.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

MSchwiebert wrote:Given the routing, my guess is that it's going to be difficult to get more than one shot regardless.
I've been giving some thought to just that and "where to shoot" is going to be entirely dependent on which end of the train they have the steam engine on (unless they're planning on spinning it at Airline to run forward both ways which is entirely possible) and what time of day the trip(s) are. The only likely way to get more than one shot each direction is if they held the Homestead to Airline train on the belt for traffic on the Chicago main but I'd almost assume that won't be the case unless something goes wrong. Otherwise it's virtually impossible to get ahead again for a 2nd shot of a train making that trip, even if it's not moving fast (though I have done it before but some luck is always involved that usually includes a slow train going WB late in the afternoon which this probably won't be). If they do spin it around Airline (via 289-56-292) then it would be possible to get a follow on shot or two of that but light may not always be ideal for those.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I believe the routings were based on the closest two available locations to turn the power. I would expect it to lead both ways.

As for safety, this isn't Detroit. The areas it will run through are fine.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

if i was a railfan in one of those towns i would be quoting nfl'er bart scott: CAN'T WAIT!

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

i hope someone can get a photo or video of this move across sandusky bay if it happens.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I dont think its going to happen, based on where they are going to be.

First move is Ft Wayne to Bellevue. NKP between two said cities.
Second move is Bellevue to Toledo. NKP all the way or combo NKP/NYC route.
Third move it Toledo to Willimson, Wv. Seeing this is the heart of coal country, this is how I see it. Toledo, to Bellevue to Columbus to Portsmouth, ect same as empty coal trains returning.
Forth is Willimson, Wv to Pittsburgh, Pa. See the same thing here, same route as the coal empties take between the two coal regons. Portsmouth, Columbus either Mansfield/Alliance or Bellevue/Celveland/Alliance (via NKP/NYC in Cleveland) to Pittsburgh.
Fifth is Pittsburgh to Harrisburgh. All ex-PRR
And finally Harrisburgh to St. Louis. This MAY be your only chance. ex-PRR all the way to Cleveland. Then either one of two options. Cleveland to Bellevue/Ft. Wayne to St. Louis, or Toledo/Butler/Ft. Wayne to St. Louis.

With the exception of St. Louis trip all trips are a week apart. They could stop home on the way to St. Louis, making the Ft. Wayne route the one. From what I have seen and read, they are not stopping though. Also this is supposed to be the first of a couple years of these trips, so maybe next year you might see it at Sandusky Bay Bridge.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

saxman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by saxman »

Asked an NS employee while waiting at lower level for 353/CN 384 how many trips per day were planned and he said three. My gut feeling, because of the number of trains per day on the Chicago Line, is that steam will lead in one direction and diesel will pull in the other. Would be nice to have the NYC heritage in town for that. There is a bit involved by wyeing the train via CP289/CP56 and CP292. Not sure the powers to be would want to do that. Just my two cents.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

saxman wrote:Asked an NS employee while waiting at lower level for 353/CN 384 how many trips per day were planned and he said three. My gut feeling, because of the number of trains per day on the Chicago Line, is that steam will lead in one direction and diesel will pull in the other. Would be nice to have the NYC heritage in town for that. There is a bit involved by wyeing the train via CP289/CP56 and CP292. Not sure the powers to be would want to do that. Just my two cents.
NS 8100 (NKP) is reportedly going to be assigned during the excursions.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

if it takes the same routing that 21T takes i could see it going that way.