CSX Defiance Local Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Defiance Local Question

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Caught the local yesterday with a Caboose in Defiance. I was wondering what the train's name was?
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Defiance Local Question

Unread post by Typhoon »

Y101

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Typhoon wrote:Y101
Is that the designated name for all local trains?
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

This is not a local train. It is a yard job. Yard Jobs start with Y, and then the number varies. First number is for shift. 1 for first, 2 for second, 3 for third. The last two numbers have to do with area of the yard, or surrounding areas where the job works. For example we had in Saginaw the main yard switch job on all three shifts at Wadsworth St. Y101, Y201, Y301 all three shifts at the same spot. We had the Bay City yard job Y121 IIRC, First shift going to Bay City, ect.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Calling it a Yard job is really semantics though isn't it? It goes 20 miles from the yard. Does having it classified as a Yard job have a benefit?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Yard Jobs are allowed 25 or 30 Miles from yard limits IIRC.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Rate of pay would be different on a Y type job. Also means the job can enter and leave Yard Limits more than once if needed. Locals and road switchers are only allowed to leave and return to the yard limits one time on a shift, without a penalty being due. IIRC eastern limits for the job are at Deshler, so if they go across the diamond, they are due a penalty day. Deshler is what? ~BI 63/62? That would be 20 miles from Defiance. Also means that they can go up to 20 miles east too. That's pretty close to Rosedale, no? Been a LONG time since I've turned a wheel on that part of the B&O!

Part of that is why the Q509 would work Hicksville 'back in the day' it was outside the J716 and Y101's working limits. IIRC J716 was profiled from Avilla (to work Kautex) to Indo, with a trip up the Auburn spur if needed. Might have even had SDI rolled in there 'just in case'.

Waaayy back in the day Q691 would work N. Baltimore elevator. Part of that was because of the penalty, and part of that was because the grain was headed to the Carolina's. Saved a back haul to Garrett to then go east. Just an FYI, "road trains" are allowed to work 3 places before a penalty day is involved.

Practice Safe CSX

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX_CO wrote: Deshler is what? ~BI 63/62? That would be 20 miles from Defiance. Also means that they can go up to 20 miles east too. That's pretty close to Rosedale, no? Been a LONG time since I've turned a wheel on that part of the B&O!
Your memory serves you correct. Rosedale is BI 105 something.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

I do seem to recall one of the yard job guys in Defiance saying that if they went past Deshler to work the elevator at North Baltimore that they got an extra day of pay or something like that.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I remember about 10-12 years ago perhaps, a local (J715??) ran Garrett-Toledo via the NW wye at Deshler. I can't recall, but I believe Q508 ran at that time, as well. Y101 would also still come east to Deshler.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:I remember about 10-12 years ago perhaps, a local (J715??) ran Garrett-Toledo via the NW wye at Deshler. I can't recall, but I believe Q508 ran at that time, as well. Y101 would also still come east to Deshler.
They did that for a short time as an attempt to make a daily Garrett to Toledo 'turn'. Didn't work that great, and they went back to the Q508 up and Q509 back type of a deal. Probably would have worked if it was just a straight shot, but they wanted the job to work Defiance both directions, otherwise you could do the run in 2.5 to 3 hrs. Maybe a J713 symbol? I never did catch it, but it wasn't around long.

Practice Safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Ok, good...I'm not (completely) out of my mind then! :lol: I thought the symbol was J715, but it may have been 713. I'd have to dig waay back in the notes to figure it out...like, go to my storage locker and dig through piles of junk and I'm not about to do that. I couldn't remember if 508/509 ran while the turn was running or not, it wouldn't have made much sense if they did.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:Ok, good...I'm not (completely) out of my mind then! :lol: I thought the symbol was J715, but it may have been 713. I'd have to dig waay back in the notes to figure it out...like, go to my storage locker and dig through piles of junk and I'm not about to do that. I couldn't remember if 508/509 ran while the turn was running or not, it wouldn't have made much sense if they did.
To me, the J715 has always been the west end local out of Garrett. Auburn to a western limit at like Suman or something crazy. Great paying job, if you could hold it. They may have used the symbol to Toledo, but I think J715 is one of the few locals that hasn't been 'moved around' so to speak in the last 12 years. J717 and J716 keep doing different things, changing limits, being abolished, etc.

Its been so long that I 'vaguely' remember them trying to that Toledo turn. When they made it, it worked great. When they didn't, then they'd have to call a recrew of course. It is one of those things where its great in theory, and probably works when everything goes well. I do know that I never caught that job.

With the change in the track layout at the north end of Stanley, it might stand a better chance of making it one one trip now. Used to be everything for the 'west' (Toledo Sub and Toledo Branch) could only go down the west side of the yard, or had to cross across everything to get to D1 thru 4 to get the the S yard. I had a trip on Q324 out of Garrett that saw us sitting at Walbridge Road at 3 hrs on duty. We made overtime getting to the house. 5+ hrs to from Walbridge Road to the south end, and back to the house. Now, trains can just go over to the Eastern Runner, head in at the 'which way' or back in from the far south end.

Practice Safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

The wiki has betrayed me. Not quite able to remember what the symbol was, I used the wiki to help me narrow it down. It already had 716 and 717 listed (though both show the same thing), so I thought it might have been 715, since it isn't listed. It might have been, but now that you mention the switching around, it could have been J717 too. Who knows, but it's going to bug me now! :lol:

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Thanks Russ, this is what I was asking.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:The wiki has betrayed me. Not quite able to remember what the symbol was, I used the wiki to help me narrow it down. It already had 716 and 717 listed (though both show the same thing), so I thought it might have been 715, since it isn't listed. It might have been, but now that you mention the switching around, it could have been J717 too. Who knows, but it's going to bug me now! :lol:
Yeah, it has been so long that I don't recall the symbol with 100% certainty. I don't think it lasted too long either. 3 or 6 months at the most? I think I was doing a summer in Indianapolis when they first put it on. I *think* they tried the job back when J715, J716, and J717 were all still regular locals out of Garrett. That's why I thought it was called the J713. For such a small yard, when traffic is running well, its amazing how many cars Garrett runs. I wish I could remember exactly when it was, but I had a shift on an extra switcher that we 'handled' 500 cars in 8 hrs. Swinging blocks, flat switching, etc.

Practice Safe CSX