Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Looks like a headups for you alittlevanwerty! Hopefully, they'll keep coming WB through Lima. Be a good consist to vid if possible. If the train all stays together through at the Cole St. yard.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I was out in Lima filming today, CFE 3882 and 3886 were the only ones in the yard. It seems they they keep 4 locos at Cole St so I looked for them by P&G and in Delphos but no luck. Figured they were east but not sure how far so didn't drive out looking. Hopefully I will catch it before dark if they leave the yard in time. I think their crew change is at 6 but not positive.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Good luck, I hope you catch it. I saw it from about 3 blocks away and would like a little better look :D

alittlevanwerty wrote:I was out in Lima filming today, CFE 3882 and 3886 were the only ones in the yard. It seems they they keep 4 locos at Cole St so I looked for them by P&G and in Delphos but no luck. Figured they were east but not sure how far so didn't drive out looking. Hopefully I will catch it before dark if they leave the yard in time. I think their crew change is at 6 but not positive.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Balfour Beatty was working east of Delphos today. That's good news. It needs some work between Delphos and Lima. Did they drop some ballast for them to work in on the MOW work? Maybe that's where some of the open hoppers were used. If they did drop ballast it was probably minimal as usual. But that worked pretty good with the MOW work in Van Wert the last 2 years. 8)

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/26/12. WB LIFW at 10:12PM through Van Wert. Leading were HLCX 6207? ex- BC Rail, CSX 8780 and SCRF 6415 SD40-2/SD60M/GP40-2 exDT&I and 18 cars. Had 6 box cars upfront followed by 11 MTY steel flats for SDI and 1 NRLX covered hopper bringing up the rear. Must have dropped the grain cars in Lima? Nice to see the ex BC Rail and the SCRF 6415 on the train. 8) Waiting for the video alittlevanwerty! I'm figuring you got it. 8)

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thought it was very weird they did not bring the grain cars through, is there anywhere else that they could be loading? Or maybe running them west tomorrow am? The white hoppers were at Lima today but I didn't see them spreading any, working hard at replacing ties and pounding spikes. I figure ballast is coming soon as they have all the necessary machines in Delphos. We passed through Delphos around 815 and they still had a couple of highrail pickups on the line.

We caught the train coming across the Ottawa river bridge and then at Market st in town, tried the south side this time. Should be good videos but won't be up til am because the files take 90+ minutes to upload. I caught CSX bringing just about all those cars at interchange today. I noticed the TTX flats have CFER POOL written on them in fine print.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, some of the flats have CFE Pool chalked on the side of the cars. Some have been that way for some years now. I've even saw some of them on the NKP through Fostoria, Latty and Payne and also on CSX I believe on the Toledo Sub. Can show up about anywhere. They could have dropped the grain cars in Lima and run them WB tomorrow. Unless, they go back to CSX in Lima. Maybe their still in the Cole St. yard. Who knows? Hope the video turns out good. 8)

PW

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Cool glad you guys saw that at least, kind of surprises me a little I suppose, I figured you would be reporting seeing that power with grain cars as well. It looked like a Central Soya set to me, I didn't watch the whole thing but I saw enough to convince me. Neat HLCX engine, I'd like to get a picture of it. Looking forward to your video.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well we were lucky, CF&E ran the return FWLI around 9:30 this morning so 2 good vids of that coming later today. Here are last night's vids:

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Nice, Good job!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Nice camerawork! I suppose that CSX 6-axle is not average power :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Lol, not usual but when they get the grain trains off CSX we see them hanging around for a day or 2.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Another good video job! I actually saw the 3 engines this morning and some of the steel loads, but that was about it. The CF&E hauls their share of the SDI steel traffic. I like seeing all those steel loads. Made in America! It would be nice if CF&E could commandeer the HLCX unit for awhile. :? You've got some good vids of SCRF 6415 in action. Hopefully, one day it will make it down the I&O south of Lima :? or north. :lol: That ex DT&I unit would look good on that section of track. 8) The train was doing some rockin' and rollin' around Middle Point. Great job!

PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I am impressed in the first video you can hear everything like you were next to the tracks even though you are a ways away.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/27/12. EB LIFW turn moving just on the eastside of Delphos at 7PM. Didn't make it too far since this morning. Must have had MOW crews on the main most of the day. Still leading were CSX 8780 w/red class lights on/HLCX 6207/SCRF 6415. LIFW picked about 23 grain cars in Delphos to fill out the tonnage for CF&E Cole St. yard in Lima. Ended up having 70 cars heading towards Lima.

Long cut of Bunge grain hoppers in the CF&E Cole St. yard. Most likely the ones that were on the train yesterday east of Lima.

Lots of new ties on the eastside of Delphos and also at least on the eastside of Delphos in the city limits in large bundles.

There are 10 soda ash hoppers at the Van Wert Terminal LLC.

PW

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

bnsf8000 wrote:7/27/12. EB LIFW turn moving just on the eastside of Delphos at 7PM. Didn't make it too far since this morning. Must have had MOW crews on the main most of the day. Still leading were CSX 8780 w/red class lights on/HLCX 6207/SCRF 6415. LIFW picked about 23 grain cars in Delphos to fill out the tonnage for CF&E Cole St. yard in Lima. Ended up having 70 cars heading towards Lima.

Long cut of Bunge grain hoppers in the CF&E Cole St. yard. Most likely the ones that were on the train yesterday east of Lima.

Lots of new ties on the eastside of Delphos and also at least on the eastside of Delphos in the city limits in large bundles.

There are 10 soda ash hoppers at the Van Wert Terminal LLC.

PW
Time will run out eventually on the lack of maintenance. The line west of Colsan has really deteriorated since they pulled the vans off in early 2003. Used to be 40 mph all the way across, now there are many 25 mph sections and jointed rail west of Upper. Oh my.
Brett

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I love hearing the sound of heavy tonnage clicking down the jointed rail. The spot in Middle Point is one of my fovorites but really only good lighting for morning shots. The HLCX unit really fits in with the rest of CF&E's mix and match. Do the coil cars I see go to SDI also? Wonder if that CSX loco ever ran these rails back when it was in Conrail paint.

Wife saw the LIFW pass through VW around 120am last night, by the sounds of it the grain train was on this one.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CF&E bunge grain train through town about 220pm. CFE 3880 and NREX 5579 leading. Also in the train were approx 15 black open top hoppers. Funny, an hour before I watch a vid wit the NREX loco. I though hmm I've never seen it over here before and didn't know they had it on the CFE. Vids posted once their up loaded.